Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2005, 04:30 PM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

This morning I couldn't raise the shade over the table in the slideout. Yep! The cord broke. Has this happened to anyone else?

I just ordered a new cord set from <span class="ev_code_RED">Winnebagoparts.com</span> for one of our 60" day/night shades. Has anyone re-strung a day night shade like this? Please!

Can you believe they are sending me 73 feet of cord?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 04:30 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

This morning I couldn't raise the shade over the table in the slideout. Yep! The cord broke. Has this happened to anyone else?

I just ordered a new cord set from <span class="ev_code_RED">Winnebagoparts.com</span> for one of our 60" day/night shades. Has anyone re-strung a day night shade like this? Please!

Can you believe they are sending me 73 feet of cord?
Old 01-31-2005, 04:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I've restrung some on my old MH, but not on the winnie. The old bugger was nasty but not impossible to do. A little patience & an hour or so & it'll get done. However, having said that, The plastic button? that the cord attaches to at the bottom just broke on the winnie & after taking the lower section apart to get the cord out to re-attach I found it to be a little simpler than the old bugger. Should be a piece of cake. As strong as that cord looks I wonder what it was rubbing against to cause it to break. On the new cord singe the ends befoore trying to fish it thru, won't fray & become messy that way.

Lots of luck
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Do a Search on "Shades". There is a diagram of how the cord travels and losts of instructions/suggestions as to how to do it.

We did ours. Have found the best cord to use was the fly line backing used on fly fishing rods. It is 80lb test. NEVER has it broken. The cost is cents per yard and you even have some color choices.

Yes the amount needed is measured is lots of feet.

Doing the first one is the hardest (as well as the most fun) After that it's just a chore.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-31-2005, 07:06 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Using our fabulous "FIND" tool located on the command bar on the top of the posting frame, I found this posted by: ClayL from August 2004.

Old 02-01-2005, 04:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Mine just broke! I am going to take mine to the factory to fix. I have 2 recalls, 2 bad values on the HWH levelers & now the string! I took the shade down & couldn't figure out how to get at the long runs it makes in the framing! I am sure more strings on this shade & the other shade will break in the next 2 months I am here! This will be another item Winnebago will say is my fault! Maybe I didn't inspect it often enough!
Old 02-01-2005, 02:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I just restrung one of our day/night shades and all of you have done well to follow the instructions and get them back in working order. There's one thing I noticed while restringing our shade, each hole the string passes through in the rails requires a plsatic gromet, a number of the plastic gromets were missing on the moving rails (also, several gromets were not completely mounted into the holes). Thus, the string is rubbing directly on the drilled hole it passes through. This caused me to look at the other shades. Two of the larger day/night shades are showing badly frayed string. I've written Winnie in hopes of getting string and gromets for each of our day/night shades. Missing gromets are clearly a manufacturing problem so I'm hoping Winnie will make good with the string and gromets.

Tagalong
Old 02-01-2005, 04:46 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Tagalong is correct. Moreover, a person at Winny told me that the plastic grommets are often missing, causing the cord to fray and soon fail. QC problem. I've had five (5) shades fail from cut cords. I'm about to install two new shades from Winny, which I HOPE will have the grommets. I'm afraid I don't have the patience to re-string.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:55 PM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tagalong:
Missing gromets are clearly a manufacturing problem so I'm hoping Winnie will make good with the string and gromets. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Tagalong & Thudman, Thanks for the heads up about the gromets. If mine are missing I will probably have to see if I can get a new shade.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We had all of the blinds on our 38G restrung under warranty here in Yuma last year. The folks doing it replaced all the grommets. They said that the factory grommets were the wrong size and allowed the string to fray.

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:10 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Amazing! You begin to wonder how many owners ended up paying lots of $$$$ in shade repair/replacement! GRRRRRRRR!!!
Tagalong
Old 02-02-2005, 07:46 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Driver,

Glad you dug that diagram up.
A couple of things that may help:
I drilled a 1/4 hole next to a couple of the gromets to aid in grabing the cord/wire.
I used a straightened clothes hanger to fish the cord. Also used some stranded picture cord hanger wire for part of the fishing.

The holes I drilled are hidden when the blind is installed so it isn't a bad thing.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:32 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I had two shades with broken cords. After reading all the posts here, I restrung them myself. Went to JoAnn's and got the cord, and with a little patience I got them done. After doing the first one, I found out it's a piece of cake to restring them. Thanks for all your inputs, it sure helped. I also need grommts, any information on where I can get them would be helpful.

2003 Suncruiser 35U
whyoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:58 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

whyoder,

"ADD a LITTLE candle WAX TO the STRINGS" an shades will glide over strings. Any hardware store in there screw dept should have any size gromet you need in those small draws.
By the way Welcome to the forum an thanks for your input. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:04 PM   #15
GG1
Winnie-Wise

MORE STUFF THAT WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE HAPPY ABOUT!!! Does this stuff happen with other manufacturers? Read the posts in the column titled "Winnebago Lemon"
Old 05-02-2005, 01:54 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

A very timely post. The string just broke on our 60ish window. I'm not thrilled about having to restring it.

Thanks for the diagram on a previous post.... what fun, what fun... NOT!

Maybe I'll just put a regular shade there. This one is behind the sofa and a real pain the get to everytime I want to open the window. My problem neck doesn't like it much.

And, yesterday, the wood that the shade over the entry door is attached to detached itself on one side. Hmmmm.. six months out of warranty and the "little things" are beginning to happen.

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:07 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

I think this problem is common to virtually every "run of the mill" motorhome (that is, excluding the really big buck units - but even some of them have the same window treatments).

For both of the MHs we've had I've often looked at the windows and asked myself "who the 'H' designed these thing?" I keep thinking they are from the dark ages. I guess the big thing is that the Day/Night feature adds the complexity. I've often wondered if I would replace them with the same thing or just a single shade - that would be much easier.

We put "top down - bottom up" shades from Blinds to Go in the bedrooms of our home a couple of years ago and they are great. If I ever have problems and have to replace one or more in the MH, I'm going to try the "top down - bottom up" units. The more I think about it they would be nice to keep half way down much of the time - allowing light and air in and at the same time not allowing those on the outside to see too much on the inside.

That diagram sure is intimidating.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:25 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

We Have A 1999 with one missing. How do I find a replacement?? The Dealer is no help.

Thanks

https://irv2.com/photopost/data/2/1029VAC_2004_4_139-thumb.jpg
Tcloud7 is offline   Reply With Quote