Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2017, 10:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Broke down in Del Rio TX

Our engine would not stay running. Called Ford they are towing us in today. We broke down in the drive way of the Broke Mill RV Park. Mike the owner has been great. Even brought us a pot of coffee in the morning. We could not make it to the site we had booked for the night. Ford 800 has been nothing but great. 3,416 miles on it. So much for buying new so we could travel trouble free. We have had two error codes. The 1st was p0300 and now the one that disabled us was p0325.

Broke Mill RV Park is very nice. Built in 2008, clean, well run, and friendly. I cannot say enough nice things about Mike and Angie. I hope if you get to Del Rio TX you plan to stay here.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Sorry about your problems. I hope the fix is easy and cheap.

I lived in Del Rio for four years when I was stationed at Laughlin AFB. I have lots of memories of that town.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Sorry for your problem.

The p0300 is random misfire detected, the p0325 is the Knock Sensor. The reason it shut down could have been that it isn't getting fuel. Looks like a fairly new rig, Ford should be able to sort this out pretty quickly.

Let us know the outcome!
Old 02-22-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We found out that it is the computer. They are shipping one from Houston, supposed to be in tomorrow some time. Hoping to have it back tomorrow night?
Old 02-22-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We did see you in the driveway as we left Broke Mill yesterday, hard to miss, but miss you we did.
I hope it is a quick fix for you.
Mike and Angie are great. We have stopped there every time we go through Del Rio. About 4 different times now I think.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Spent two nights in Boerne TX. Jennings Anderson Ford was great, they got us going again with a new computer this morning about 10:00. We drove to Fort Stockton TX and it has died again. This time we made it to a site in an RV park. Waiting for a guy from Ford to come and read the code on the check engine light.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Sorry to hear that. Hope the dealer will jump right on it.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We are back on the road again. We made it to Fort Stockton TX. It died again, but lucky we made it to our site. The local Ford Dealer came out and looked at it right away and spent an hour late Thursday. They left and said they would be back in the morning. Herb and Todd worked on it for about 3 hours and found a wire in a harness that a weld had rubbed a hole in it. They traced wires and found the one that was shorting out the whole system

Thank you Herb and Todd from Fort Stockton TX Ford. You two were amazing. I was lucky to run into a couple men with experience. We not made it with no issues to Las Cruses NM. I am hoping this is it.

Found out from Todd that it had been taken to Ford when it had 1 mile on it by Winnebago, replaced the fuel pump. The dealer took it to Ford when they had it for a connection problem. Both of those two codes were the same as the code we just had.

So it has had a fuel pump, connector, computer, and now a wire replaced. Herb said the wire was probably causing all the codes. may not have need the pump and computer if this wire was found.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Not quite in line with the original subject, but I would also like to give a shout out to Ft. Stockton Ford. Last fall we were in west Texas when the driver's power window decided it didn't want to go "up" anymore. It was hotter than all get out, but we drove to the nearest Ford dealership, about 200 miles away in Ft. Stockton.

Got there Friday about noon, and it was explained to us that they had so much business in the shop that they couldn't possibly get to it til Monday. We were sitting in the lot deciding what to do when one of the mechanics (sorry, don't remember the name) came out saying he was on lunch break and asked if he could look at the window. Seemed he knew exactly what to look for, because he reached around inside the door, pulled out a cable, and cut it. He was then able to push the glass up and tape in into place so that we could make it home.

No invoice, no charge, just the goodness of his heart, although I did give him a generous tip.

Long story, but Ft Stockton Ford is the best.

2002 Winnebago Minnie, 331C, Ford E450 chassis
retired cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlineskater View Post
We are back on the road again. We made it to Fort Stockton TX. It died again, but lucky we made it to our site. The local Ford Dealer came out and looked at it right away and spent an hour late Thursday. They left and said they would be back in the morning. Herb and Todd worked on it for about 3 hours and found a wire in a harness that a weld had rubbed a hole in it. They traced wires and found the one that was shorting out the whole system

Thank you Herb and Todd from Fort Stockton TX Ford. You two were amazing. I was lucky to run into a couple men with experience. We not made it with no issues to Las Cruses NM. I am hoping this is it.

Found out from Todd that it had been taken to Ford when it had 1 mile on it by Winnebago, replaced the fuel pump. The dealer took it to Ford when they had it for a connection problem. Both of those two codes were the same as the code we just had.

So it has had a fuel pump, connector, computer, and now a wire replaced. Herb said the wire was probably causing all the codes. may not have need the pump and computer if this wire was found.
Jerry,
Sorry for your hassles.....traveling and break downs can be nightmares
Good thing you ran into Herb and Todd

Two actual mechanics that FOUND the real issue vs throwing parts at it like the dealer did and the other Ford 'parts replacer'

But hey......it's got a new computer, new fuel pump

Stay safe my friend..may the only excitement be from your adventures/travels
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote