Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2008, 07:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Before I take it to the shop, is there something simple to check as to why both these appliances won't "fire" on LP? A clogged line?

The furnace runs just fine, also on curb side.

Both are on curb side, both work fine on electric.

Water heater(Atwood) - never get the little red "pilot out" light when first turned on.

Fridge(Norcold) - beeps and flashes "no FL" when on LP, which is code for no gas. (why FL instead of LP???)

I was down to 1/3 LP, so filled up, for s&g's to see if that was it, nope.

Since I'm in a w/c, it either must be simple for me & DW to check, or maybe I can get my brother over, he's an EE. Or it will have to hit the shop.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Before I take it to the shop, is there something simple to check as to why both these appliances won't "fire" on LP? A clogged line?

The furnace runs just fine, also on curb side.

Both are on curb side, both work fine on electric.

Water heater(Atwood) - never get the little red "pilot out" light when first turned on.

Fridge(Norcold) - beeps and flashes "no FL" when on LP, which is code for no gas. (why FL instead of LP???)

I was down to 1/3 LP, so filled up, for s&g's to see if that was it, nope.

Since I'm in a w/c, it either must be simple for me & DW to check, or maybe I can get my brother over, he's an EE. Or it will have to hit the shop.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You might take a look at your LP gas detector. It seems like I had this issue once before on a previous coach and the LP detector was connected in with an electric valve on the LP line. If the gas detector got shut off or sensed an LP leak, it would automatically close the gas line off coming out of the LP tank.
Ron-in-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Does your gas stove work ok
You may have a crimped gas line between appliances.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Ron - definitely will check after work. Thanks, that would be a nice easy fix.

007 - Haven't checked stove yet. DUH. Also check after work. thanks, hopefully no crimps. Stove is on street side.

Wonder how the lines run? Would the furnace/fridge & WH/stove be on separate branches? Maybe I can get my bro to crawl under. Wish Winne had a pdf like they do for plumbing/elecic on their site.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

next time you fill have them bleed tank all the way out...you may have a third of a tank of air.............
Old 01-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I just had the same refer. problem and code.
It turned out that the burner was clogged, a cleaning of the refer. and it worked just fine.
The water heater????
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Last night I went out and turned on the stove. It took a little while before it finally lit up. I ran all 3 burners for awhile. Then I turned the fridge on, on LP, and lo and behold I heard the burner light. yeehah.

Also checked that the LP detector was indeed on.

I then tried the water heater, but no success on that one.

I stayed in the MH for awhile and the fridge stayed on, but the WH never did try. I guess it may have a different issue.

The fridge problem going away is kinda weird, this problem has been around for awhile, including a short trip to Houston. Why it "came back" now is a mystery. Maybe there was an air bubble that opening the stove valves cleared out?

Anyway, one down(hopefully, haven't checked today yet to make sure the fridge is still running on LP), one to go.

Thanks folks.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:11 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

On the water heater I would first check the thermofuse and the fuse on the circuit board.

The thermofuse can be jumpered out of the circuit for testing purposes.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:30 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The saga continues...

Had my wife go out and check, the fridge was beeping and saying no FL again. arghh!

The weird thing, I had her check if it was cold and if it had made any ice. The answer to both was yes. Overnight it had made a 1/2 bucket of ice, then decided to quit. ????

I am not completely level in my driveway, but fairly close, with nose down a little. But it also didn't work when we were parked level, or when going down the road, so don't think that is it.

Man I hate intermittent problems.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:32 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

On ours it generally takes a few tries to get the water heater going after the LP has been shut off for a while. Our heater is the farthest from the tank and the line is fairly small so the ignition times out a couple times before the gas actually gets there.

After filling the tank I start the stove first as you did. Since it uses the most gas it purges the line the fastest.

Since it took a while to get the stove going it sounds like there's still some air in the line. Be patient I,m sure it'll go.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

That's really starting to sound like an "air in the system" issue to me. I think I would continue trying to bleed the air out by running the stove burners again for a while....then try that fridge again. If you can get both of those to work for an extended period...then maybe check that HW heater again. It just really sounds like air in the lines might be what is giving the problems.
Ron-in-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:34 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I would try running the furnace and the cook top for awhile and then try the water heater. It really does sound like an air in the lines problem. Can you hear the igniter trying to light the water heater?
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote