Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Bolt on door bolt lock will not lock

The bolt lock on my entryway door lock has fallen below the lip of the door latch and will not extend to lock the door.

Is there any fix for this?
Old 08-08-2019, 06:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yes, there are almost always ways to fix the latching but they are often small points that we will have a hard time telling you what to do without actually being onsite to look at what's up. So some questions and suggestions to maybe get some thinking started may be the best.
When you say it has dropped, do you mean just the dead bolt latch and not the other latch or entire door? Can you see that the dead bolt has shifted down in any way? Or there are also times when the strike where the bolt should go has shifted?
I would say that it probably need something adjusted but what, where and how is something to look at.
Pretty drastic and maybe not the best move for a start is to take the strike off and file the part the bolt is hitting. I usually don't like this as a starting place as it is a permanent move until you replace the strike. I try to adjust my way out first.
Maybe some pictures if they can be got easy enough?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Can you see that the dead bolt has shifted down in any way?
Yes.

The deadbolt itself has sagged so it catches on the inside of the door when I attempt to lock the door.

I thought it might be a common problem.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I might guess that door bolts getting out of place is a pretty common thing as the fasteners tend to work loose and doors get lots of wear and tear.
It is often a matter of finding which fastener to loosen a bit and then pry the set up to the right location. Can't say from here but maybe take a look as it may be pretty easy thing to spot.
If they've not been checked lately, give other parts like the strike a good look and make sure screws, etc. are all good and tight as both parts have to stay solid and there is very little room for things that are not aligned right.
Fussy and irritating but one of the things that happens often in houses or RV. On an RV with any amount of age,things like that are normal and many of us do carry a basic set of tools to adjust as they often get off while we travel.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

If it’s a Trimark door lock assembly like mine, commonly used in RV’s of our vintage, and your dead-bolt is hitting too low in the door frame, I adjusted mine by simply loosening the interior plate screws ((interior side of door and handle) and then re-positioning it to where the dead-bolt lined up better. (Your interior plate may look a little different as mine has been replaced.) -RT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior Door Handle 01.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	172085  
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:35 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I fought a problem like this for a while before I discovered that the problem was the door itself. Check the hinges and the outer frame of the door itself on the hinge side. Mine was coming apart.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:03 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
If it’s a Trimark door lock assembly like mine, commonly used in RV’s of our vintage, and your dead-bolt is hitting too low in the door frame, I adjusted mine by simply loosening the interior plate screws ((interior side of door and handle) and then re-positioning it to where the dead-bolt lined up better. (Your interior plate may look a little different as mine has been replaced.) -RT
I can't edit my original post but would like to clarify that by loosening the interior door plate screws it allows the entire assembly some movement and adjustment. The exterior plate will move around the door too, which allows some dead-bolt adjustment into the door frame.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:42 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

If the entry door needs an adjustment:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winnebago Door Adjustment 01.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	172088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winnebago Door Adjustment 02.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	172089  

Old 08-18-2019, 05:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Exactly what I have to do.
Loosen the screws, door open, grab both the inside and outside of the lock assembly and adjust it to position the deadbolt piston to align with the slot in the jamb.
Tighten the screws.
I have to do this occasionally due to the push /pull of the latch which causes the assembly to move.

Let us know how you make out.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

It's at the shop right now for a few odds and ends that will come up on a 17 yo MH. I'll try it when I get it back,

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

THIS! It ended up being as simple as raising the entire assembly. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2020, 06:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspringator View Post
THIS! It ended up being as simple as raising the entire assembly. Thanks!
Quote:
I can't edit my original post but would like to clarify that by loosening the interior door plate screws it allows the entire assembly some movement and adjustment. The exterior plate will move around the door too, which allows some dead-bolt adjustment into the door frame.
Had to do this yesterday to resolve a hard close issue with the latch. Of course I introduced the hard close issue when I tightened down all the loose screws a month ago.

At that time I also added loctite to the screws to help keep them from backing out. Hopefully this is the last adjustment I need to make for a long time.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:17 PM   #13

If you have a Trimark 030-900 lock then you need to read this thread:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...rk-358744.html

There you will also learn how to adjust your Trimark lock properly! Do it today as part of your annual maintenance (and then every 3-5 years) so you don't have trouble.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door