Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Blisters on fiberglass outside surfaces

I have a 2002 Winn' Adventurer which we purchased used in Spring 2006. It only had 8,230 miles on it. It had no blisters. Over the last 3 years it has gradually developed more and more blisters. Has anyone had this problem, or known of someone who has hade this problem. I can't believe that mine is the only one that this has happened to.
RASwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

It is probably delamination. This is caused by water intrusion. In my case it was caused by a crack in the shower skylight. Water can traavel quite a ways behind the fiberglass and it loosens the glue holding the fiberglass to the foam. If you can get behind it, I was told by a Winnebago engineer that Gorilla glue if applied properly and with firm pressure on the affected area for 24 hours would work.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Blisters on fiberglass outside skin of RV

Thanks for the reply. This is not delamination due to water migration caused by a leak at a seam etc. I had an older RV that had delamination issues at several places. In that case moisture would cause a large area to form a bubble of delamination of fiberglass from the insulation board backing.This is much different.

They start out as bearly perceptable round blisters and then eventualy become an approx 1/4 inch chip out of the thin fiberglass surface. The large panel on which thet may form along a small area is not at all delaminated.

I did see an ad on ebay once for a Winnebago Adventurer of the same vintage that mentioned a few blisters as the only flaw. I wish that I had inquired about it if only to find out more about the extent and probable cause. I need to find out what the cure and or repair is. Someone must know.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

On the rear of my coach I have what seems like small round pock marks in which the fiberglass is sort of bubbling off and then popping. It leaves a small sort of hole through and down to the underlying surface. You could call them blisters I guess. Manufacturerers defect I believe. Good luck in getting it fixed. So far it only is on the rear panel of my coach.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have had the "Pocks" on a 2001 Suncruiser. PM me and I will tell you what was done.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Homer
I think I have sent you a PM. Not sure that I accomplished it correctly. I'm new at,and not very familiar with, the protocal on this site.

RASwift
Old 04-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer View Post
I have had the "Pocks" on a 2001 Suncruiser. PM me and I will tell you what was done.
done, I believe.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Fiberglass Blistering...

This happened on my 2003 Alfa....started along the bottom, then gradually up the sides. Definately a manufacturer's defect. This had happened on many Alfas... and others....it was fixed... under warranty....took all winter....and a year later it started again. The fiberglass was put on with moisture locked in the walls. The pictures, taken by the dealer that fixed it once, were amazing what the inner walls looked like. This is one thing that brought Alfa down! Now have a 2009 Phaeton and loving it!!!!
keoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzyblueye View Post
I have a 2003 Winnebago Brave and have the same problem. Can someone please tell me if there is a remedy for this problem?
jillmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I do not know what kind of fiberglass or how thick it is but with boats, particularly those that remain in the water, blisters are very common. Moisture gets between the actual fiberglass mat and the gelcoat...the only way I know to remedy it is to remove the gelcoat , let the fiberglass dry and reapply the gelcoat which is time consuming and $$. contrary to popular belief, gelcoat is not waterproof