Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Was Spring cleaning the inside of our 2002 Journey DL today, we have not used it yet this year and we park it in our Morton Building for the winter. Everything was really clean on the inside but when I put the slides out, I saw black marks on the carpet, right behind the drivers seat where the slide wall and sofa are, under the dinette and between the sofa and wall towards the back by the china closet. Has any one had this problem and do you have any idea what the cause could be? Thanks in advance for your ideas.
rjhorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Was Spring cleaning the inside of our 2002 Journey DL today, we have not used it yet this year and we park it in our Morton Building for the winter. Everything was really clean on the inside but when I put the slides out, I saw black marks on the carpet, right behind the drivers seat where the slide wall and sofa are, under the dinette and between the sofa and wall towards the back by the china closet. Has any one had this problem and do you have any idea what the cause could be? Thanks in advance for your ideas.
rjhorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yes - we get them also from the street-side slide. Not sure what is causing it - obviously something on the bottom of the slide.

A 'band-aid' fix would be to use some of that clear sticky carpet protector where the black streaks are after the carpet is cleaned.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have a '07 and the same black mark. My tech said it was dirt on the bottom of the slide????? What else could he say? I still wonder.
PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rjhorton:
Was Spring cleaning the inside of our 2002 Journey DL today, we have not used it yet this year and we park it in our Morton Building for the winter. Everything was really clean on the inside but when I put the slides out, I saw black marks on the carpet, right behind the drivers seat where the slide wall and sofa are, under the dinette and between the sofa and wall towards the back by the china closet. Has any one had this problem and do you have any idea what the cause could be? Thanks in advance for your ideas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When the slide is out, how do those parts of the slide that contact the carpet in those spots look from the outside?

Some companies sell nylon strips to put on the carpet before bringing the slides in to prevent this.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

A tech at my dealership told me to shave a bit of the rubber off. What is making the black marks is the rubber molding on the bottom of the slide. I haven't yet gotten around to doing that.

I tried to use carpet cleaner to get it off but I could still see it. Even with Goofoff I can still see a bit of black on the carpet from the constant rubbing when the slide goes out and in.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have the same black streak ...

I use a carpet cleaner in an aersol can called "Spot Shot" (I get it in the cleaning supply section at {Super} WalMart) ... it comes in a dark blue can with an ORANGE lid ... you spray it on and blot up the black streak with paper towels or clean rags...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Are you putting anything on your slide seals???

I put nothing on mine and I have no black carpet marks.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We get the same "slide marks" on our '07 Adventurer. We found an "ad" for the vinyl strips, but can't find anyone who actually stocks them.
retired2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Some members have posted that they made these slide protectors out of an office chair pad by cutting strips to the needed width and length with tin shears. The molded tacks on the bottom holds them to the carpet when the slide rolls over them. One chair pad from Office Depot would probably do the entire rig.