Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-28-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Black butyl tape vs RV silicone

I have a failed seal in one of the panes of my 3 pane front side window in my RV. To save some money I have just removed the front side window to take it to a glass dealer to replace the pane.
The frame was really stuck in place with black butyl tape but now the window company has told me they only sell "RV silicone", not the butyl tape to adhere the window frames to the RV's. I do not mind using the tape again as it has been in place for quite some time with no leaks. Has anyone used the silicone and is it as good as the butyl tape? The windows and frame are very heavy (double panes) and would silicone hold the window up.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #2

Silicone from a tube is okay to use along the edge of the window frame after installation with putty tape to seal the exposed trimmed edge from attracting dirt and drying out from exposure of the sun.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply.
That is what I was thinking too -no way silicone alone would hold in a window that big and heavy. I will be out buying the butyl tape.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

When I had mine done at Rv Fog Doctor, they had a gun connected to a tank that they used to apply a ring of butyl sealant and then inserted the window an removed the excess.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Butyl tape is available at most hardware stores, Home Depot/Lowes. I do not recommend using silicone anywhere.
Remove the old butyl and clean the joining surfaces. Install the new tape and seal the edges with a polyurethane caulk after removing any excess butyl.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

When I recently had four windows de-fogged at RV Fog Doctor I questioned why they did not use butyl tape between the window frame and the coach wall when they put the windows back in the coach. They told me they never use butyl tape, 'hate the stuff'. They said the window frame had a foam seal on the back side and all they did was put a bead of silicone around the frame after it was installed.

Two weeks ago while at the Country Coach service facility in Oregon, I asked them about how they sealed the windows when the coaches were built. They also said the frames had a foam seal and all they did was seal the outside with silicone. CC did remove one of my windows to treat rust on the metal frame around the window (I saw that at RV Fog Doctor when they had the window out and they did a sorry job of treating the rust). CC did tell me they replaced the foam seal on that window.

I know that my Winnebago Journey had black butyl tape or sealant behind the frame along with a bead of silicone. I'd prefer to use something like Pro Flex sealant and not silicone.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all. No silicone for me.