Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Here's one for you. I was inspecting my roof seam caulking and happened to glance at the caulking around the Kingdome mount bolts and the batwing. Large quantities were gone and apparently the thief is some kind of rodent.

Kazillions of little teeth marks like the stuff was cheese or peanut butter. I'll get up there and remove the rest and replace with Eternabond.

Has anybody had this happen? I guess it happened in the storage yard and will maybe put a plastic owl or plastic snake on the roof next storage period.

I'm gonna work under the assumption that the little critter met a slow and painful death from being bound up!!!

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Here's one for you. I was inspecting my roof seam caulking and happened to glance at the caulking around the Kingdome mount bolts and the batwing. Large quantities were gone and apparently the thief is some kind of rodent.

Kazillions of little teeth marks like the stuff was cheese or peanut butter. I'll get up there and remove the rest and replace with Eternabond.

Has anybody had this happen? I guess it happened in the storage yard and will maybe put a plastic owl or plastic snake on the roof next storage period.

I'm gonna work under the assumption that the little critter met a slow and painful death from being bound up!!!

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 09-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Oh man - at least the critters aren't inside (yet..) Never heard of that but at our last house in Florida, squirrels chewed up 110V Romex I ran in the gazebo for lights and a paddlefan. Funny thing was the outer sheath was chewed, the white (neutral) was chewed, but not too many bite marks on the black (hot.)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
Oh man - at least the critters aren't inside (yet..) Never heard of that but at our last house in Florida, squirrels chewed up 110V Romex I ran in the gazebo for lights and a paddlefan. Funny thing was the outer sheath was chewed, the white (neutral) was chewed, but not too many bite marks on the black (hot.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BZZZZZZAAAAP!!
Old 09-13-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Squirrels and chipmunks are notorious chewers ...

Squirrels have destroyed the wiring for my utility trailer, the hose for my propane grill, and the wiring for my christmas tree lights in an arbavitae tree ...

You must be parking near trees ... I doubt if they can climb the sides of your rig ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I'll bet it IS squirrels. I'm parked right near a big apple tree and limbs are above the m/h but up pretty high. I guess I'll look for the squirrel with the hang glider under his /her arm or a parachute. Little buggers!

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 09-14-2008, 01:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have a tree hanging over ours, and just under the overhang (rear ladder area), I had the same thing. Re-sealed the area and trimmed the overhang back and no more problems (so far!). We do have lots of squirrels.
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:17 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CHIPPYSGT:
I'll bet it IS squirrels. I'm parked right near a big apple tree and limbs are above the m/h but up pretty high. I guess I'll look for the squirrel with the hang glider under his /her arm or a parachute. Little buggers! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes...there is a type of squirrel know as the "EXTREME" Squirrel. You might have one in that tree.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

We have a continual problem with Chipmunks chewing the heat tapes we have in our eave-trough down spouts. I have to install new ones every fall. I think they enjoy eating electrical wiring.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

OMG - BIGFOOT the chimpmunk???? I wonder?
Old 09-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I agree the problem is squirrels. We watch the squirrles jump from tree to screening and back again. It is amazing how far they can jump.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:08 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

A few years ago in the San Diego area we heard things pecking on the roof. They were big, black crows! Then I realized what the other noise was - their claws as they hopped around on the roof. We found that if we bumped on the ceiling when we heard them they would fly away.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ding-a-ling:
A few years ago in the San Diego area we heard things pecking on the roof. They were big, black crows! Then I realized what the other noise was - their claws as they hopped around on the roof. We found that if we bumped on the ceiling when we heard them they would fly away. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi Frank... we first heard birds walking on the roof in Alaska. It was a real puzzle at first for us and it drove the two cats absolutely bonkers. The younger one would run from the front to the rear of the coach several times looking out the windows for the source of the noise.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:32 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

This last summer we werein Branson. I happened to glance up and a squirrel was climbing up the front screen on my windshield---looked like Spiderman up there, all spread eagled.

I couldn't resist---yep, I turned on my windshield wipers!

Squirrel went a'flyin'!
Old 09-15-2008, 05:40 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I work for a major telephone company as an outside repairman. Squirrels get into our splice closures and chew all night. Squirrels' teeth grow very fast and they have to chew to keep them sharp. They chew not because they are hungry but because they have to. Just because you see chew marks doesn't mean they are consuming what they are chewing. If they were, in my case, they would be consuming lots of copper wires and fiberoptics.