Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-22-2019, 05:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Best tape for resealing underbelly

We have a Winnebago 5th wheel. The underbelly is some sort of material that encloses/protects the underside of the trailer. On our last trip we had issues with the black tank value leaking and had to have it "repaired" on two occasions. Both repair persons used some sort of tape to reseal the opening they cut into the underbelly. Looking at the underbelly the other day I noticed both tapes they used are letting go, allowing the repair sites (underbelly material) to sag. Since I will need to reseal the opening they cut into the underbelly I would like to use the best method possible for the repair. If I use tape what is the best tape, or, is there a better method for a repair? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
JerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I do not know if it would work into your plans, but I have become a believer and heavy user of the silver tape used in home heating and ac work. Its made to seal around duct work (not duck tape) its way different and better. This tape is not only strong but can handle the weather. I have used it to seal around my tow dolly lights and the fender.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
I do not know if it would work into your plans, but I have become a believer and heavy user of the silver tape used in home heating and ac work. Its made to seal around duct work (not duck tape) its way different and better. This tape is not only strong but can handle the weather. I have used it to seal around my tow dolly lights and the fender.
It is good stuff but, for exterior use make sure you get something like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-T...7801/100507541

Also, although it sticks and seals well, it's not as tear resistant as something like Gorilla Tape. Therefore you don't want to use it where the joint you're covering will be flexing.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Bob that's the tape but better will go out and get a roll.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Depending on the opening, it may also be worth considering using a foam sealer and then putting the tape on. Tape on outside surfaces where there is a lot of wind is pretty iffy at times. Around vent and drains, I like to squirt the foam in as it tends to form around things and make it less likely to come out.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

my son manages a body shop. he has tryed all the types of tapes to hold moldings on RVs. says the wide Gorilla tape is best. i tryed it on bottom molding of the Suncruiser. just did 2 1000 kms trips thru rain storms. visited a car wash ,its still on. last yr i tryed the original 3 M Duct tape.it came off first trip. got it from Amazon.https://www.amazon.ca/Gorilla-600300...s%2C221&sr=8-8
Old 07-28-2019, 07:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

This stuff is like tarp material with crazy strong adhesive. It's made for sealing the fabric underbelly material. I don't know if you can find a better deal or a lesser quantity, but the stuff is amazing.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Surfa...-p/14-9271.htm

Steve
Old 07-30-2019, 01:53 PM   #8
Retired and Loving it

Just a thought, when I had to make a temp repair on the rear window (window is eisenglass, a type of plastic) canvas enclosure on the flybridge of my boat, there were only 2 types of tape I found that stuck.
Shrink wrap tape and Tek tape (used to tape joints on plastic vapour barrier)
Tek tape is semi translucent with red printing, very noticeable.
Shrink wrap tape was white.
Hope this helps

Bob
Old 07-30-2019, 05:50 PM   #9
Aspect 30J

Underbelly Repair Tape

Just a suggestion...go to a reputable Mobile Home store and ask for an "Underbelly Bottom Board" repair kit. The kit will contain a sufficient amount of material to repair your area. You will also need the can of spray adhesive that is designed specifically for the material. To repair the tear/cut area, cut the repair material and allow for over coverage of the area...clean the torn/cut area with soapy water cloth and let dry...spray the adhesive to the clean area & then apply your replacement repair material. A word of caution, the adhesive does NOT allow for movement of the repair material...once the repair material attaches, you can NOT adjust it. I can assure you that it will not come off traveling down the interstate...it will seal your torn/cut area if applied properly.

MovingMann
MovingMann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal