Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-02-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Bent Steps Saga

Earlier this spring, the steps on my 2008 Winnebago Destination started failing. They would extend nicely but would only partially retract. Having limited time resources (still working more than fulltime), I took the rig to the local RV repair shop. The mechanic was adamant that he would fix them on the spot - first by properly lubricating them. That was ineffective, so he then shoved them closed, completing the failure of the nylon teeth. I already had a brief trip lined up, so wrapped up tight with tie straps.

While at the campsite, the steps were secured open with clamps and some 4x4 blocks. Worked well - took the time to let the air bags settle.

When we got home, got in a rush and had the 4x4 blocks in place to early. The settling coach bent the steps up several inches, no more than 30 degrees?

So now the rig is back at the RV repair shop, and has been there for two weeks. (the prime problem is getting new awning arms from Dometic ~ another lousy story for another time.) (poor shipping practice and disengaged UPS delivery drivers) The shop has told me that the steps had been repaired. I drove over to check and get some paperwork I needed out of the rig.

I'm thinking of getting the rig home and work on the steps my self. I envision a detailed visual inspection, remove the steps and get everything back into shape. I also have the use of a machine shop and fabrication facility for assistance.

Any ideas, advice or guidance has to how to get the job done right and efficiently?
RMSmithJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Couple of years ago, road debris in the form of a 3/4" pipe nipple embedded itself in our Kwickee step, destroying the electric motor. Luckily (odd turn of a phrase) these steps are one of the easyist assemblies on the coach to remove and carry into the shop. Ordered a replacement motor, $97 and linkage, $96. Bolt out, bolt in. Didn't really need the linkage, but.....

Our Kwickee is a single step. Yours is likely two or three. You didn't say what parts are bent on your steps, but likely the pantograph type linking arms. Since you have access to a machine shop, they are simple 3/16" steel plate. Sounds like you have the wherewithal, so if you have the time, I'd do the repair. (make sure you take pictures along the way and label those pesky electrical connections )

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Well, I got it home yesterday (after three weeks in the shop - most of it waiting for undamaged awning arms to be delivered.) Yes, there are three steps that extend. The top rail is the only bent piece. It is bent upward, probably no more than an inch out of true.

Will be talking with my fabrication guys tomorrow.
RMSmithJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps