Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2010, 03:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Bedroom window leaking

The side window in the bedroom started leaking water at the bottom of the window frame. The outside seal around the frame still looks good.

Any ideas of where to look or what might be causing the leak?

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Ron & Dee:

If you have weep holes, often found in the bottom of the track, they may be occluded with debris. Don't know your specific rig, but just offering an idea. Steve
Old 01-19-2010, 05:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Steve,

The weep holes was one of the first places I checked and they seem to be clear and free.

We had some pretty good rain over the weekend but this is the first time we have had any leaks.

It looks like the plastic molding at the bottom of the window frame outside has shrunk away from the frame. I might have to squirt some water at that point and see if water is getting in there.

Ron
Old 01-19-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
The side window in the bedroom started leaking water at the bottom of the window frame. The outside seal around the frame still looks good.

Any ideas of where to look or what might be causing the leak?

Thanks,

Ron
you could make an adapter plate for another window and pressurize the inside of the moho with a leaf blower or shop vac. some fantastic fans are reversible. if yours is, you may not need a leaf blower. run the heater blower on high. use some soapy water and you will get bubbles where the leaks are.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Ron, these little leaks are sometimes hard to find, and they happen when you least expect them. Water won't run uphill, so get a flashlight and look real close @ the top of the window frame inside of the coach. It's possible that it is coming from above and following the window frame (inside) to the bottom area. Believe it or not, rain water is much softer than normal hose water, that's what makes it so hard to find. Good luck and keep us posted. Happy trails and travels to you and yours, and above all, be safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Yep, I also HAD a leak in the side window of the bdrm slide. Same place, along the bottom.
I had it in for repair and it was supposed to be fixed. They had sealed around the outside of the frame and also along the top of the slide with silicone, obviously not water testing it. Next rain it leaked just as bad. I called Winnebago and they said that model has Atwood Windows and sometimes have problems but they were stopping the production of this window.
Time to take over! I got the water hose, wife inside, and started at the outside edge of the frame along the bottom of the window with a slow stream. No leak. moved the water to the sides of the frame, no leak. As soon as I moved the water to the actual glass along the bottom it leaked, no delay. I had already visually checked the weep holes by takeing out the plastic/rubber gasket.
I retested to be sure and again as soon as the water hit the glass, it leaked.
Solution; I took a very thin bead of silicone and sealed the gasket to the glass, all the way from the top of one side to the top of the other side. Then did the same seal at the gasket to the frame. (I did this only to the moving part of the window not the fixed glass above.) The down side of this is, the window no longer opens, BUT it doesn't leak!
Hope this helps, water leaks are a pain and can do some serious damage.
mikenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you know what I find.

My wifes suggestion is to pull the slide when it rains

Ron
Old 01-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I had a window leaking around the outside gasket seal. Where the ends met there was a small gap. I used black windshield sealer to seal the gap, which worked effectively. If you drive by an auto glass shop, ask them if they will give you a dab of windshield sealant in your small jar you just happen to have handy. It only comes in a caulking gun tube, which is waaay too much to use before it hardens from sitting on a shelf.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hey Ron,
We just had 3" of hard west blowing rain. (The window is on the west side) I woke up several times from thunder and rain noise and each time checked the window, it's on my side of the bed. No leaks, thank goodness! I'm not crazy about it being sealed shut, and I plan on getting in touch w/ Winnebago, but man if it didn't leak last night then that was definetly the problem and the solution!
Ray, I also had the gap at the top of the gasket and that's where I thought it might be coming from but I never got the water above 3" from the bottom before it started leaking. Glad you found yours w/out sealing it shut.
mikenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:54 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Loose seal

After further inspection it looks like the bottom track that the window fits in when closed does not seal the window very tight, the window is very loose.

Can that seal, the one that is felt lined, be replaced?

During a stormy weekend, we taped a piece of plastic on the bottom half of the window and no water got in during a blowing down pour.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 08-11-2010, 06:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Window leak update

After having the window frame resealed and several rainy weekend camping trips I though the problem was fixed but during a weekend of heavy down pour the leak reared it’s ugly head again.

During the storm we had to pull the slide in and mop up the water under the window on the bedroom slide. After the rain was over and we put the slide back out, I got up on the roof and discovered a hole in the canvas covering the slide.

I repaired the hole in the canvas and since no more water can get on top of the slide the window leak has disappeared.

Some day in the near future I will have to reseal the slide roof, but as long as no water can get on the slide’s roof, our leaky bedroom window is gone.

Ron