Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2018, 08:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Bedroom Slide went out while driving

Scary day yesterday as our bedroom slide went out while traveling down the road. Has anyone else ever had that problem?? We were able to get stopped & get it back in.....then 50 miles down the road it went out again. We're thinking it's a control module issue. Any ideas? Thanks
Mary12191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary12191 View Post
Scary day yesterday as our bedroom slide went out while traveling down the road. Has anyone else ever had that problem?? We were able to get stopped & get it back in.....then 50 miles down the road it went out again. We're thinking it's a control module issue. Any ideas? Thanks
We can not operate our slide unless the parking brake is engaged so I would assume there are some safety features that are not working on your rig. I suppose you could prevent it from opening by turning off the house battery but that would only be a short term fix as you probably need the house battery for the refrigerator.

My only suggestion would be to take it to the dealer if under warranty or get it fixed some other way. If you are handy (I am not) then I suppose you could disconnect the power lead to the slide motor, but that is also only a short term fix.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Year, make, model, slide manufacturer, hydraulic or electric would be of a big help in determining information someone may give you.

Help!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You can buy manual slide locks.....for those slides that do not have electric locks.....most rv supply and walmart sell them.
It sounds like the safety feature that does not allow a slide to deploy while underway is the suspect.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:07 AM   #5
Veteran & RV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary12191 View Post
Year, make, and model would be nice! I have included this info in my signature block that gets appended to every message.

My coach has an electric "slide locks" button. So, I have not experienced what happened to you.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

with out more info, i'd suspect a contact is being made in the slide switch while driving.
Koja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:46 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koja View Post
with out more info, i'd suspect a contact is being made in the slide switch while driving.
Without information from the OP, you are just guessing.

If the OP has hydraulic slides, it could be that one of the slide solenoids has failed. Not an uncommon problem. But I'm guessing.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I have slides equipped with the LCI Swintek mechansim on my 2015 Winnebago Vista and started having the long passenger side slide slowly start coming open if driving in a strong cross wind blowing from driver's side to passenger side early this year.

The Swintek motors are supposed to have internal brakes to hold the slide in position when no power is applied to the motors. This is all that does, there are no separate slide locks in the Swintek system. Called Winnebago to discuss the situation and they said the two motors could be replaced at my cost on an out-of-warranty repair basis.

Rather than do that I now place 2x4 homemade slide locking blocks front and back on my long slide right next to the tracks, I mounted large velcro squares on the 2x4 and slide sidewalls to hold them in place so they can't shift out of position. I also made a small piece of plastic with velcro mounting strips that I put under the slide switch "extend" side labeled SLIDE LOCKED so I can't forget about the locking blocks and try to extend the slide before removing the blocks.

Problem solved for under $ 20
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Same Problem

W had the same problem on our 2014 Suncrusier. Driving through El Paso in rush hour suddenly see that the rear slide was out and could not see if I could pull over.
Happened twice to and wound up having the slide hydraulics replaced. Apparently a common problem.
CapeCodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Scary problem with Winnebago Adventure 38J

I was driving east on I80 across Nebraska when I noticed the bedroom slide out about a foot. After stopping, I attempted to pull in the slide and discovered the parking brake had to be engaged before the slide would work. About and hour later the slide again was creeping out. To solve the issue I put a piece of 2x6 between the slide and outer wall. Once home I put the MH in storage. About a week later when I went to get some items out of the MH I found the slide out about a foot. When I went inside to verify that I put the 2X6 in place, I found the board was there and the bedside cabinet and trim destroyed. After taking the MH to my RV dealer I was told the solenoid was bad and allowed the hydraulic fluid to slip by and activate the slide. Incidentally, the house batteries were off. It was a costly repair so I would be careful where you place boards or other items to correct the issue.
LKANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:50 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I'd like to clarify this subject a little, and I'm hopefully not being critical but cautious. So, did the aforementioned slides just start opening up while driving down the road (like one short incident), or were they creeping open over a period of time?

IMO, the first being a much bigger problem than the second, and if they were creeping out, over what period of time? Wouldn't the slides coming out have started to block the rear view through the mirrors? I'm now going to make sure I know what the view to the rear is supposed to be and if it changes, I'll know somethings up.

As our model unit is close to one of the ones mentioned here, I'd like to know what to be looking for BEFORE I'm clearing slower traffic off of the road with my slide.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:36 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

H--l Yes

Twice the slide came out while driving. As I said earlier, we were in the usual El Paso traffic mess and I looked as usual in the rear view and saw the slide fully out. It blocked all vision of the right lanes and what a ball I had getting over to the side to set the brake and retract. Another time that I can remember wa was coming out of a KOA as I turned I saw the slide coming out. Even when parked at home it came out a few times till the service people got enough parts to fix. And yes I was a driver with the big boys and faithfully used my side mirrors.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
I have slides equipped with the LCI Swintek mechansim on my 2015 Winnebago Vista and started having the long passenger side slide slowly start coming open if driving in a strong cross wind blowing from driver's side to passenger side early this year.

The Swintek motors are supposed to have internal brakes to hold the slide in position when no power is applied to the motors. This is all that does, there are no separate slide locks in the Swintek system. Called Winnebago to discuss the situation and they said the two motors could be replaced at my cost on an out-of-warranty repair basis.

Rather than do that I now place 2x4 homemade slide locking blocks front and back on my long slide right next to the tracks, I mounted large velcro squares on the 2x4 and slide sidewalls to hold them in place so they can't shift out of position. I also made a small piece of plastic with velcro mounting strips that I put under the slide switch "extend" side labeled SLIDE LOCKED so I can't forget about the locking blocks and try to extend the slide before removing the blocks.

Problem solved for under $ 20

I like this idea, much more effective than the wimpy straps that nobody uses.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Got to love it - another "one and gone" poster. Mary, if you are out there, please post the answers to the questions that others have posted.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:05 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Bob C, I'm particularly interested in your solution since our units are so close in model and year.

Apologies, but I just can't picture your solution. Is there any chance that you have photos or could take a few ? Also, how do you prevent a like event similar to LKANER posted about the boards destroying the cabinetry?

I hope I don't have this problem, but if I do, I'd also like to already be prepared for it.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2018, 12:31 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

That had to be a heck of a sight to see that. Just glad nobody was along side you when it happened or have a semi passing you at that time.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

In my case one time, rigs and cars all over the place on a 6 or 8 lane traffic mess

Tags
slide