Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

The Adventurer is comfortably parked next to the house for the winter, and plugged in to 30amps. Due to a retaining wall only the bedroom slide can be use. I put it out a few weeks ago, looking for stuff in the closet, and when I went to bring it in, nothing happened. No power, no noise, no movement, nothing. Reading some posts, I moved the rig back a few feet, and brought it back up, activated the central slide, just a few inches, and tried the rear again. It hesitated then came right in. Now I need to put it out this weekend for company, and I have some concern. Guess it could have been the switch on the brake, maybe. Or a loose wire in the control box (but that is under the main slide so I can't get there) Any other ideas???? Thanks in advance for any input. Gary.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The Adventurer is comfortably parked next to the house for the winter, and plugged in to 30amps. Due to a retaining wall only the bedroom slide can be use. I put it out a few weeks ago, looking for stuff in the closet, and when I went to bring it in, nothing happened. No power, no noise, no movement, nothing. Reading some posts, I moved the rig back a few feet, and brought it back up, activated the central slide, just a few inches, and tried the rear again. It hesitated then came right in. Now I need to put it out this weekend for company, and I have some concern. Guess it could have been the switch on the brake, maybe. Or a loose wire in the control box (but that is under the main slide so I can't get there) Any other ideas???? Thanks in advance for any input. Gary.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Is yours hydraulic? I posted almost the exact same question here about a week ago (see if it sounds familiar), and since them have run across some excellent information published by HWH with outstanding help from then as well. Looks like I'll be doing field service next weekend. Come Sunday I'll probably know more than I should about that control board.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Hello kalynzoo,

My first thought would be the velocity valve, but you say you heard nothing. If you had herd the pump running but no movement of the slide, then that would be a place to start. Ours acts up as the temperature drops and takes two to ten seconds to activate. Annoying, but not worth the effort of replacing.

If you heard nothing, then it seems more likely that there is a poor or bad connection. Since moving the rig got it working, I would suspect either the +12 Volt supply to the HWH control or the grounding connection. The ground is furnished via bolts with star washers that attach the HWH control assembly (tank, valves, and pump) to the chassis. If these bolts are not tight then as a result of corrosion, the ground will open up. A vibration such as moving the coach can allow the connection to make for a time but if that is what is going on, then it will happen again sooner or later.

Find the control assembly and figure out how and where the bolts are and check for tightness. Let us know what you find. I hope this helps.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

We have an '04 Journey ... our rear slide is tempermental ... sometimes it moves readily when the rocker switch is depressed ... sometimes not.

We have always been able to encourage it to move by various "work-arounds"
1) activate the front slide simultaneously
or
2) start the engine
or
3) jiggle the ignition key

I think the problem is some sort of a low voltage / solenoid / faulty ignition switch ... but it is intermittent and so far unpredictable ... I have been able to work around it everytime so far ...

<span class="ev_code_RED">so I keep knocking on MDF</span>

The point of this post is to encourage you to try to establish some work-around strategies ... it sounds to me like you already found one ... starting your engine ..
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Rear slide on our Journey behaves identical to that described by SkiGramp. Our work-around is to either start the engine or operate the slide before we shut the engine down.

I read on this forum where someone fixed this issue by adding a solenoid at the slide motor. Apparently the problem is too low voltage (intermittently) caused by the long wire run from the switch to the slide motor assembly.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The 1st place to start is at the control board that runs the entire show; slides AND jacks, and see what the pump is being told to do. I found THIS diagnostic page on the HWH website, and it will tell you quickly if you're looking in the right place.

I my case it is a relay, but neither of the 2 contactors. It's on the logic control board itself.

(edit spelling)

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the help. Today I leveled and extended the bedroom for next weekends guest. The levels hesitated, so I turned on the engine, and after a moment all worked fine. The slide came out fine. It leads me to believe it might be a power problem, even though I have a trickle charge going, or a loose ground, contacting when the engine vibration starts (seems far fetched but maybe.) Before the next trip I will pull the rig out and extend both sides, and check the control box. For now, all is ok....till I bring it in. Happy Trails.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have an 04 Journey and had the same problem.
I found out that if I just turn the ignition key on (without starting the engine) the slide works fine everytime.
Ed O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

While we were in Quartzsite, AZ at the RV show, we got a new motor for the HWH system.

The service repairmen told me that you should not run the slides or jacks unless the engine motor is running. He said the low voltage draw can burn the pump motor out. He also said that causes more problems than any.

I had always been guilty of running slides and jacks with the engine motor off. I guess it finally caught up with me.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Running the engine sounds like a plan, like it is often said, couldn't hurt. Thanks for passing on the tip.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:48 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

SCVJeff~ Thanks for the reference to HWH diagnostic page, just printed it out for my RV folder/library.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The kids left this afternoon. I went out, ran the engine while I dumped and flushed the holding tanks. After about 10 minutes I pulled in the sides and raised the jacks with the engine still running. Everything went fine the very first try. My batteries with a trickle charge maintain at about 12.5V (per the onboard meter). Guess a slightly higher voltage is preferable for slide performance.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:18 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Kalynzoo, another "workaround" in case all else fails, is to operate the slide switch(s) while extending the leveling jacks.( don't forget to re-retract!!) I've been dealing with intermittant slide extend ( most often)- retract problems all summer, and accidently (thanks Wifey) found that while the jacks are extending, the slides will work.. There is a good clue in there some where, but the onphone tech, nor I have "put it together" yet When I/we do, I'll post it here...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote