Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Bedroom Slide leak

I took our MH to a dealer to have our leak repaired. It leaks thru the lower corner,then runs along the carpet between the washer/dryer, and the closet. It only seems to leak during a downpour. The service mgr called to tell me he couldn't make it leak! He said he even tried a pressure washer. I did a search before posting, and the posts I read all were able to remake the leak. I am hoping for some ideas, and maybe someone experienced a simular situation. One post sept 2006 showed a picture if a channel that was exposed, I checked and mine looks to be sealed. The slide only seems to leak when extended.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

What coach do you have?

On some coaches Winnie redesigned the lower trim piece to fit more flush with the side of the slide. They also designed a triangular piece of foam for the corner to stop leaks.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I believe the vertical rubber trim was installed behind the horizontal rubber trim on the bottom of slideout which would let the water run into mh. I believe the op of that thread installed the new trim just the opp and it stopped his leak. Im not sure if this is what your asking or not.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Had a similar problem with our 03 Advantage. Had the dealer replace the bedroom seals, and that didn't solve the problem. Winnebago replaced the seals at the next GNR (my expense) and spent the better part of 2 days doing it to get it right. They have changed the seal from what was originally used. The new seal is much tighter and really does keep the area dry. We've been in some very heavy rains since then (2 years ago) and haven't had any problems since.
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Whether or not the dealer can reproduce the event shouldn't be a factor in the way they deal with the situation. Clearly you have a problem in severe rain storms. Try to find a dealer that is willing to resolve the problem from a theoretical perspective. However, before that, I would call support at Winnebago to get some insight on the possible location of the breach. Then pass this information onto a dealer that is determined to resolve your problem. Best of luck.

Jack
Jackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Glad to report I got a call this morning ( after a heavy rain last night) saying it leaked. I had planned to pick it up today, but I had asked the service mgr to leave the slide out, as they were predecting rain. They now have something to go on. I read your responses to him. He said he would have a look.

Equinox Toad
Old 09-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Update on my water leak. They first said the seal was overlapping the wrong way, they repositioned, and applied some adhesive to hold it in place. It rained, it leaked, returned to dealer this time they replaced the seal that goes over the top, and along the sides(it's one piece and took a week to get). Rained last night still leaks!!! It's still at the service dept. The service mgr said he will call Winnebago again, hoping they might have some ideas. The new seal they put on sure looks a lot tighter, than the one they took off. I sure thought that would have fixed it---shows what I know!

Equinox Toad
Old 01-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Stearn how did you make out with the leak?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My leak is still not fixed. It is better, I know that doesn't sound right, but it does not leak as bad. I have contacted the service manager, and he is expecting my return this spring. He said he doesn't understand why it's still leaking. I don't understand either, but I do expect to get what I paid for, and that was to seal my slide, to keep it from leaking. I hope to update this post as to where the water was getting through.

Equinox Toad
Old 01-20-2010, 06:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I can understand what you mean about the leak being a little better. Thats exactly what I am experiencing with our bedroom slide out. It originally leaked while the slide was in the closed position.
I always thought it had to be the rubber seals and that somehow the water was getting in between the tightly closed room but I was wrong. I was directed to the outside face of the slide and the seams all around the frame. I could see some spots had no sealant so I re caulked the seams. Next few rains everything was dry problem solved. A few days ago we had a very hard rain fall and a "little" water got in the same spot.( Bottom corner.) Slide in extended position this time. I think I was to conservative when I was sealing so I got out there and really caked the stuff on. Waiting for rain now to test.

If you haven't checked already take a look at all the seams ( ends, outer face, top) and make sure they are fully sealed. Good luck. I used clear silicone.

good luck.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

That's interesting I will check that out. The dealer was told to seal all the screws holding the seals buy Winnebago.If they only sealed the screws that frame would have been missed. My slide only leaks while extended. Thanks for you help!

Equinox Toad
Old 02-22-2010, 06:12 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Loose seal

After further inspection it looks like the bottom track that the window fits in when closed does not seal the window very tight, the window is very loose.

Can that seal, the one that is felt lined, be replaced?

During a stormy weekend, we taped a piece of plastic on the bottom half of the window and no water got in during a blowing down pour.

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We had a heavy down pour a week or so ago. The leak I said wasn't as bad was as bad! I decided to take the outer seal loose. I am really discusted at what I uncovered!! I found gobs of clear silicone, that did not seem to be sticking. to the seal . (Hard to explain) , but no way could it be holding off water. I dug it out and redid the area with a marine adhesive sealer. I found the same mess on the top corner. With the slide part way in I could see daylight! I am hoping that I did some good. Next heavy rain will tell the story! After seeing what this RV dealer did it will be a cold day in h--- before I go back to them. I might add the extended warranty co. paid over $800.00. I now wonder if they even replaced the seal. I am thinking about stopping over in Forest City, to be sure it gets fixed.

Equinox Toad
Old 02-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I never had a slide out leak until this winter! We had rain(over 5 inches) & high wind here in AZ about a month ago. It was on the passenger's side bedroom slide out. What appeared to have happen was water got under the slide out awning, pooled up & got under the seal where a screw head is. My awning is torn at the edge for about 2 inches & plus the the high winds to blow the rain under the awning. I don't know how to get that seal to seal over that screw head. But I am stopping at Forest City to have the awning replaced. For now I used awning tape to repair tear. No more water on slideout roof & no leaks.
I would check after a heavy rain & see if water is standing on the slide out roof.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

I also had a leak on the top of the bedroom slide of my 2008 Cambria 29H. It was not a large leak but enough to leave the carpet damp. In my case. i found that the "wiper gasket" was four separate pieces around the opening. On the corner nearest the leak there was about a 1/8 inch opening in the corner joint that once filled with clear silicone, solved the problem. I checked the other corners and applied cauking wherever you could see daylight. I found the best way to find these small openings was from inside the darkened RV with the slide extended about 12 inches on a bright day.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Dave,

I had a similar leak on my front slide. I fixed it by retracting the slide and gaining access to the top of the slide where I could put silicone where it was leaking.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I called Forest City to make an appointment. I was told if I am attending the GNR to get a number when I arrive. I wouldn't like to go all that way only to find they couldn't get to me. I am new to this and hoping you will share your experiance. I do want to experiance the rally, it looks like one could learn a lot and have some fun doing it. I really want to get this leak fixed!!

Equinox Toad
Old 04-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

We've been to GNR a number of times and going again this year. Generally, they are able to service about 600 motor homes during the event. We've had new bedroom seals put on, a kitchen slide seal replaced, a few other items including re-attaching the hood cover on the engine access panel (bad attachement with epoxy). They work very hard at getting as many coaches fixed as they can during the event, giving us our coaches back at night and getting them back in the morning if they need to continue working on them. They do warranty work, but will not do extended warranty work during that time since they don't want to take the time involved with getting approvals for that type of service. All in all we've been very pleased with the service we've received while there.
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I decided to take my Winne to a Winnebago dealer (about 50 miles away). The warranty co will not pay for the repair again as they said the dealer that did the repair should make it right. LOL ! The original repair was done at a Allegro dealer, the servce mgr is long gone and the owner says it's been over 90 days have a good day. The dealer that's doing the repair now will be replacing the seals $670.00. I just hope this will be the end of it !

Equinox Toad
Old 08-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Just returned from a two week getaway. It rained hard several times, and we were dry! No leaks (knock on wood). I had the repair done by a Winne dealer that is about 40 miles away. I had other issues that they also repaired. Now I know where to go for service. I thought going to a local rv dealer was a save bet, boy was I wrong! I'll go the distance from now on. I just wanted to end this post on a positive outcome.

Equinox Toad