Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Bedroom Slide Extends Part Way

We have a 2010 Suncruiser.

We have used it a few times doing a shake down but now the bedroom slide stop about a foot from fully extending.

It is a Kwikee motor driven slide. I looked under the bed and there isn't anything obvious to me blocking the extension. It retracts ok but then extends to the same point. I called Winnebago and they said take it to a dealer.

Anybody have experience with this situation? Either an easy fix or an idea of what I am in for at the dealer?

Thanks
Yorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorker View Post
Anybody have experience with this situation? Either an easy fix or an idea of what I am in for at the dealer?
Yorker, I might guess that it's a travel limit switch that's being activated a bit too early or the motor is getting over torqued and shutting down the circuit. These types of issues are often seen by service canters and they should be able to resolve this issue fairly quickly if they are good at what they do.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yorker, I have a 2010 33C Sightseer and have the same problem. I've had it to the dealer and was told their "crack mechanics" could find nothing wrong with the slide mechanism and I probably am not getting the unit level. My spare tire is stored in a compartment under the bed in the slide and i think it's too much weight. If I lean against the bed as the slide is being extended it travels out fine. Without the extra push i can hear when the motor starts to strain. I'm sure Driver is right about the motor being over torqued, but have found my dealer won't go the extra inch to find the real problem. Good Luck and let us know if you find a solution.
archtop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

How cold was it when you tried the slide? Cold weather can affect slide operation.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem in my 35 Voyage, it was the carpet plastic bunching up under the bed. It was not fully removed when I picked up the moho. I made sure all the plastic was removed, and it worked fine.
Voyager35L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

All that was previously said.

And.

Check the rollers that the slide travels on. One could be cracked, crumbled, or who knows what, that at that point of time it is to heavy on it and it stops.

Also, I don't know if you have a double motor or just a single one, but both of my slides on my Winne have two motors each. If one of them gets out of sync it can bind the slide on one side and that will stop it. When you put the slide out, go out and measure each end to see if it is the same distance on each. If not, you can electronically override a double motor system - check your book - and move the slide out that way.

Also, if it is a double motor, you could have a bad brake on one motor that is causing the slide to bind on one side. Check when you put the slide out and make sure that the slide moves in one piece, one single motion, and not back and forth from one end to the other. Both side should travel at the same time.

If your bed moves on a frame when the slide moved, check to make sure it is staying on the rails. There will be Teflon pads that the rails of the bed travel on and if it get's out of kilter on the rails it can also cause it to bind.

Go ahead! Ask me how I can think of all this mess!!!!!

Good luck.

p.s., check your book on the brake lever. Make sure it is in the correct position. Mine need to be counterclockwise for the automatic brake to be on. Check your manual.

All that I have stated can be checked, but with a 2010 you should still be under warranty. Don't leave the dealership until they fix it. If it stops for you, it should stop for them. One thing I have found over the last two years is to never trust that they fixed it. Operate it and make sure it is working correctly. My recent adventure was the dealer putting the wires on the refrigerator mod criss-crossed and it would not work on electric. Checked it before I left the lot and they fixed it. You never know.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Slide update

Here is an update on the slide.

After leaving upstate NY the first chance to put out the slide was in SC.

We were level and it was somewhat warmer than NY, but we had the same results. I made an appointent to get the slide looked at on the way south.

We are now in GA, a bit warmer still. I checked the slide again and it went out a little bit more, backed it up and it went out all the way. It sounds noisey as it slides. We have other issues so we are still going to get it checked.

I too found plastic bunched up but that didn't immediately fix things.

There is a single motor on the bedroom slide.

Thanks for the input, lots of good ideas.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Yorker my parents left for Florida two weeks ago from Canada where both bedroom slides would only go out part way. When things warmed up the problem was solved. So maybe there was some ice that had to melt off I dunno.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2010 Winnebago Vista 32K with the same problem (front and rear slides each have 2 motors - Kwikee screw type). I took it to the dealer and they cleaned the rails thinking that was the problem. But didn't work. Ours stops about 6" shy of full extension. Front/Back motors may be a little off sync but not more than 1". I replaced the electronic controllers shortly after taking delivery because they knew there was some sort of problem with them. This seemed to help for a while but then same problem recurred. I wonder if I need to somehow reset the controllers so they know when the slides are retracted. I always have the motor running, parking brake on + level jacks down and experienced the problem in summer and fall. I suspect it's an electrical issue but the dealer thinks mechanical. Another member talks about nylon bushings being the problem (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/slid...rts-44777.html), but not sure that's the same setup. Hopefully we'll figure this out before Spring!
deallaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

fiddlesticks

Today I took the rig in for service.

As we set up to go I ran the slide in and out, no problem.

Took it to the dealer and they could find no problem.

Arrived at the next cg, ........ slide would not extend all the way, I think it stopped in the same place.

This time I gave it a little help and it extended fully.

I am thinking that the slide is not operating as smoothly as it should and puts enough strain on the motor to stop it.

We will see how it works over the course of the winter and make a trip to Forest City next summer. We have been very happy with the service there.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

If you have a gear driven slide,that long acme threaded rod needs to be lubed, had the same problem. Try pushing the slide out manually, while someone holds the slideout sw in the out position [push fairly hard] if this works, you need to lube the threaded rod under the bed, [ there is a board there thats got to come up to expose the screw. Lube it with white lithium grease. I dont care what the engineers or techs tell you it needs to be lubed. BEEN THERE Talked to them all. There is no limit sw. on mine and I suspect there is none on yours. It is current limiting system that detects when the slide is the extended position. If the screw is dry it pulls more current and the system thinks its allthe way out. Best part if this doesnt work, you clean the grease off and start anew.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Slide out problem solved! ... I think

I took my 2010 Winnebago vista 32k back to the dealer ahead of our first trip of the season to have the slide out problem checked again (not fully extending). The dealer called power gear and apparently the solution is to run the slides without the engine running - ie the opposite of what the owners manual says. The chassis batteries were generating too much power with the engine running and the slide out controllers were stopping the slides before they went all the way out. Over time, per power gear, we will need to run the engine to get them to fully extend, but not yet?! Why power gear didn't put a voltage regulator at the front end of their control boards remains a mystery, but so far so good - they worked over Memorial Day weekend.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:51 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Throughout the winter I had to assist the slide on the way out.

We will be in Forest City in a few weeks and I will let you know what they do there.

If they don't have the solution we will try the above.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

My 2010 Sunstar 32K (same as Vista) had a problem this spring with the slides. They would stop, but I got error codes on the panel. I reset the panel and they went out. After that, they worked fine. I was wondering if after the winter lay-up, things were just tight. I'll have to keep the motor not running thing in mind. Strange.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:34 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We had a problem with error codes initially on our vista - digisync wasn't keeping them moving at same speed. So both control boards replaced. But we still had the problem of not fully extending. I think there was a recall on those power gear control boards (seemed like the dealer not surprised they failed). My 32k is on the workhorse chassis - I wonder if the chassis batteries put out more power than ford?
Old 06-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I posted my previous post before I had this additional information.

See my post on: Travel Lock

I don't know if you have a travel lock. I have been told it is only used by Winnebago. There is a known problem with them that I just learned about a few days ago. My slide would extend, but would not retract without some brute force applied from the outside. I'll wager that this could happen in the reverse and bind up anywhere in the process.

It is a real simple fix if you read the technical document from Power Gear (Kwikee).

Or you could use the pliers temporary fix described in my other thread.
Good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote