Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Bdrm ceiling light to fan

Has anyone changed their bedroom ceiling light to a ceiling fan. They make a dc fan and wifey would like one. My concern is our 2004 Vectra ceilings are not real high, one of the things I like for bridge and tree limb clearance but not so good for ceiling fan maybe! Another project is I'm thinking about cutting in two more ceiling registers for AC, only two in bedroom now, anyone do this to their rig?
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I thought about doing that for several years and, as I recall, it really depends a lot on whether or not a fan was an available option on your model in that location.

I think in some cases, it's a simple matter of using the existing wiring and bolting the fan into the reinforced structure that would be there in case the fan option was ordered. In any case... be sure you take into account the room a bedroom slide takes up when traveling. We have two BR slides and the ceiling space when closed up isn't all that large.

A call to Winnie would a really good idea because they can pull up the build sheet on your VIN # and tell you exactly what's there. You can also access the wiring and plumbing diagrams for your coach on their website.

We decided against the BR ceiling fan and went with a different option. Like you, it was my DW who was requesting the fan. Seems she's more prone to temperature swings these days than i am. Even with a ceiling fan I don't think she would have been happy with the air flow. There are a lot of reports from folks who have them indicating that they sure don't put out a very stiff breeze.

So we ended up going with a 120V flip down fan mounted on the underside of the cabinet above the head of our bed. It flips up out of the way when not in use, or she can flip it down and tilt it to direct the adjustable air flow in any direction. I'm glad because it doesn't freeze me out like it does with the industrial strength ceiling fan we have in the SB house.

Amazon.com - Vornado CR1-0117-06 Under-cabinet Personal Fan

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpncrsaider View Post
Has anyone changed their bedroom ceiling light to a ceiling fan. They make a dc fan and wifey would like one. My concern is our 2004 Vectra ceilings are not real high, one of the things I like for bridge and tree limb clearance but not so good for ceiling fan maybe! Another project is I'm thinking about cutting in two more ceiling registers for AC, only two in bedroom now, anyone do this to their rig?
We did it in our 2001 Adventurer. There was no problem with the ceiling being able to hold the fan. The only watchout is to be sure the fan blades clear the cabinet doors and be sure it works with the slide either in or out. We installed ours in 2007 and had no problems. It worked fine when we traded it off in 2013.

We put a new ceiling light a couple feet forward towards the hall. We used an after market light that had a switch on the light itself. We used the original wiring to power the fan, and tapped into the wires to power the new light. The light switch on the wall had to be on to power either the fan and/or the new light.

Be sure to get a remote controlled fan. That way you don't have to get in and out of bed to control it. We got ours from PPL motorhomes

It was a 42" 4 blade reversable fan with 4 speeds. It had a white motor and blades.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Not a winni owner, but do have a possible cheap alternative.

Our linen closet is just outside our bedroom, in the hall.

We have cheap Wally World 10" fan (Massey brand) with curved metal leg. It hangs off of the top of the cabinet door, on an over the door plastic hook. Angled to blow into the bed.

3-speeds and can be used in other spots if needed.

Just a thought.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpncrsaider View Post
i installed a remote controlled 40'' oak and brass ceiling fan from backwoods solar several years ago.
i posted about it when i did it. it should be in the archives of this forum with pictures.
my fan has 3 mounting points. i did not think that was enough so i installed a circular sheet metal plate with a hole in the center for the wiring to the ceiling with about 8 each long 3/16'' wood screws and mounted the fan to the plate. i mounted the fan where the ceiling light was at the foot of the bed and used the existing light wiring.
my fan has operational clearance even with the slide in and the cabinet doors open.
my fan used to make clicking noises sometimes. i discovered that reversing the direction of rotation would stop the noises for a while. i suspect that the motor brushes were rattling in their holders.
it has not made noises in the last 2 years or so. i reckon the motor brushes are seated now. dance:
i recommend backwoods solar and this fan.

http://www.backwoodssolar.com/products/fans-large-small
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I did install a ceiling fan in our DSDP since Newmar wouldn't do it and I can see why!! Whacked myself in the head a few times....
I used a 32" low clearance hall fan from Home Depot. 6 blades and canted more to move more air with the short blades. It came with a light fixture but it was way too low with it.
Had to be careful when installing it to miss the cabinets when the slide is in and not be out too far when out.
Had to take the ceiling light out and put in some support stringers between the aluminum rafters. Since the fan is 120 volt I ran a cord over to the plug in for the bedroom TV inside the ceiling and cabinet. Been running it for years off the MSW inverter but now one of the diodes has gone out (new one on the way $15 incl shipping) so we only have two speeds right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10203.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	46384   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10202.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	46385  

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I just replaced my bedroom light with a ceiling fan that is now available from Camping world. It is light enough that I did not worry about any additional supports and it stood up well on our 5300 mile summer vacation. It is remote controlled so I just leave the light switch on and turn it on and off with the remote. Since we only use it while we are in bed and I sleep on the side of the bed closest to the front of the coach I don't have a problem (i am 6'4") as long as I don't try and go past the bottom of the bed. There really is no head room there. My wife is 5'4" so she doesn't have a problem. But to be safe if we get out of bed we turn it off. It does make a lost of difference in those warm months.
Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank you so much everyone fo the responses some good advice, don't know if I'm gonna do it or not, but definitely going to cut two additional ac vents in bedroom.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I installed one on our 12 33C. I put our over the bed and ran the wire under a splice filler between to ceiling panels. I wired it into the closet wiring and ran the wire under the filler when I replaced it after mounting the fan. Use the remote to control, the only down fall to this set up is if we open the closet doors the fan turns off. We have had it installed for over 20M miles with no problems.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

To Mike and Pat: I am assuming you used a 12V fan from CW? I have not heard many good reports on 12V fans, i.e., noisy, etc. Is yours quiet? Since we have the same floorplan, I would like to do that.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I bought 2 of the 12 vt ceiling fans from a camping world on line. they were easy to put up, only weigh about 5 lbs and are very quiet. they have been up about a year and so far no problems.i did have to fish a wire over from the bedroom lightto the fan location, but that was not too hard, except getting through the foam insulation it really makes a difference in the air conditioning and works out great when you boondock. I used toggle bolts to secure them to the ceiling, and have been over some very rough roads with no problems. just be sure and measure with you slides in before determining your mounting location.

Bart Anderson
Old 09-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #12

I too would like a ceiling fan.
I would prefer a 12vdc model.
Does anyone know why a 120vac fan can be purchased for as little as $35-40 and 12vdc fans are $100+?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
I too would like a ceiling fan.
I would prefer a 12vdc model.
Does anyone know why a 120vac fan can be purchased for as little as $35-40 and 12vdc fans are $100+?
Mel
'96 Safari
I wondered the same thing. I would guess it is due to less of them being manufactured and a captive audience. The 12V ones at Camping World are more like $150 and none seem to have lights. Since we would be replacing the ceiling light that would leave no overhead light in the bedroom.

I also wondered if someone inventive could take a 120V ac fan and change out the motor with a 12V dc and do the same with the light bulbs.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

The cost of a dc motor also adds to the price, but you are correct, the more demand for a product the less it will cost

Bart Anderson
Old 09-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart anderso View Post
I I used toggle bolts to secure them to the ceiling, and have been over some very rough roads with no problems. just be sure and measure with you slides in before determining your mounting location.

Bart Anderson
Hey Bart, did you mount them using toggle bolts just secured into the ceiling material or into a stud?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I just used the toggle bolts through the ceiling material...mine did not even budge during a rear dually blow out this year although everything else in the rv did
Old 09-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I also wondered if someone inventive could take a 120V ac fan and change out the motor with a 12V dc and do the same with the light bulbs.
HD4Mark
12V Medium Base incandescent, and LED, light bulbs are available, which would solve the bulb problem.
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

I had a ceiling fan in a 5th wheel I used to have and the fan was not very effective at moving air. For this motor home I set a three speed oscillating fan on the dresser at the foot of the bed and it does move sufficient air to feel a difference and it is quiet.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Sorry for not getting back to this post. Yes i got the 12v fan from camping world and it moves the air just fine. Mine is so quiet that you don't even know it is on except for the air flow. I am glad I added it even witht he height problems.
Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Ceiling fan

I installed a 12v fan in the front (living room) area. The fans you buy at CW are made (or imported actually) by Trusty Products. You can google for Trusty Ceiling Fans and see all the options. You can buy from Amazon.com anything they have. CW only carries a few. I fastened to structural framework above the accent panel on the ceiling. Powered from the circuit that feeds the ceiling vent fan. (I also upgraded the vent to a unit with a remote so I can use either or both fans from their individual remotes. Works great, love the additional air movement, never have hit the blades with anything! Don't understand why the mfgrs don't install these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fan.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	47176  
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, fan