Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 06:51 PM   #1

Battery not charging when trailer plugged in to AC

My wife and I recently became Micro Minnie owners. 2018 2106 ds. We are excited to get out on the road. It's not quite a year old. The only problem is the battery doesn't get a charge when trailer is plugged into house current. I checked when the trailer was plugged in using 7 pin connector to my 2016 4runner that has a towing package. I read on my multimeter over 13 volts coming to the battery from the 4runner. Shouldn't I get voltage to the battery when trailer is plugged into the house as well?
donlaber2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:56 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Check at the plus and neg posts of the battery. You may get 13 volts while plugged into the house, Unplug for the house. Check at battery again. If it drops to 12.7-12.8 it means it is charging.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. When we purchased this 2 weeks ago the battery wouldnt run the electric jack until I hooked up to a charger. I put a 45% charge in battery. While the trailer is plugged in the ,voltage in the battery hasn't gotten above 11.81volts. The last 3 days it's dropped. A little. I tried removing the battery leads several times to check if the batterys receiving any charge. The leads are dead, except when trailer plugged into my running 4runner. Then 13 volts plus.
donlaber2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlaber2 View Post
Thanks for the reply. When we purchased this 2 weeks ago the battery wouldnt run the electric jack until I hooked up to a charger. I put a 45% charge in battery. While the trailer is plugged in the ,voltage in the battery hasn't gotten above 11.81volts. The last 3 days it's dropped. A little. I tried removing the battery leads several times to check if the batterys receiving any charge. The leads are dead, except when trailer plugged into my running 4runner. Then 13 volts plus.
If your trailer is that new, I would get the dealer to replace the battery. A fully charged batter should read over 12.6 volts.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging