Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Bathroom wall panel pulling away from wall

Has anyone experienced a wall panel pulling away from the wall, and, if so, what did you use to put it back into place? I'm assuming it needs to be re-glued but am not sure. My coach is a 2004 Journey 32T with the fully enclosed bathroom. Coach seems to be getting to the age where things are needing replacing...... I keep the air conditioning on during the summer set at about 82 when I'm not using the coach. I thought that might help prevent the wall paper from coming off the wall, but didn't expect to see a whole wall panel coming off. LOL.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I would seriously wonder if there is possibly dry rot causing the wall panel to pull away. Is there delamination on the outside in that area? Is the board underneath hard still or spongy? I'd have it looked at to be sure.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Bathroom wall panel pulling away from wall

num1dgh, I should have said this is an inside wall and no, there is no delamination anywhere on the coach. No problems with the floor either in that area.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Most of the time plumbing is on the inside wall especially in a bathroom. A leak could result in the wall board pulling away.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The water based contact cement the feds require manufacturers to use just is not as good as the old stuff in my not so humble opinion.
I had one place on an interior wall in the bedroom a few inches long that pulled away . I used a solvent based contact cement and glued it back. That was about 6 years ago and it is still okay.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

First thing to do is to check for water leaks in the area of the wall.

Ken
Old 08-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Mine has pulled away a bit in the corner and I can't for the life of figure out how to get some glue back behind the area that needs it. So now after 3 years of studying the problem I might get around to using my neigbors nail gun. Please tell me the trick to getting something behind the loose panel in a tight corner area.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
Mine has pulled away a bit in the corner and I can't for the life of figure out how to get some glue back behind the area that needs it. So now after 3 years of studying the problem I might get around to using my neighbors nail gun. Please tell me the trick to getting something behind the loose panel in a tight corner area.
I was lucky mine was on an outside corner which made it easy to get glue behind the edge.

I am not sure how to get glue in there. Maybe inject it via a small flexible tube somehow? I believe my wife got some glue syringes from a hobby store. Sort of like a hypodermic without a needle.

I remember seeing syringes with a curved tip that were used for irrigating wounds with water - maybe one of those?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

My 2008 has a slight loosening at the top of one wall of two walls that contact surface. One of the contacts is the back of the entertainment unit, and the other is the surface area to the outside wall of the coach. I'm thinking this high heat and sun beating on that surface sort of loosened things up a bit. My concern is that when I shower water will get down inside, then the real problems start. I'm going to make a PVC jig just long enough to fit between the wall and the opposite shower frame. I'm going to squirt some type of something down in there and especially along the edge at the top where it meets the wallpaper and then put the jig in place to hold it overnight.

Just thinkin' out loud....just got to do it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

If I understand correctly, you are not talking about any delamination here? I believe Winnebago uses very small finish nails to hold the inside wall panels to the wood framing structure behind the panel. They pull this panel away to gain access to the screws which hold the inside wall frame to the outside side wall. If this is the case in your coach, then just use a finish nailer and shoot 1/2" nails to fasten.
Eric Hennen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

If you are talking about an inside corner above the counter then I have the same issue. It is due to the fact the weight and/or stop point of the slideout is pulling the wall outward. The solution is adjusting the stop on the slide so it stops before pulling that portion of the wall outward. See if there is no gap until the slider is fully extended.
colo.kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I may have misunderstood. I thought you may be referring to the shower enclosure. Sorry. I'm having the shower enclosure problem.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote