Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2005, 06:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a fan in my bathroom which has an electric lift arm switch and a switch to turn it off and on. The switches are located on the bathroom wall.

The fan cover will not stay shut when it is lowered. During travel, it's like the air pressure opens it. It would appear that the motor is not holding it closed.

An explanation or a fix would be great.

Thanks,

Larry

Aventa II Tow Bar/Apollo Braking
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a fan in my bathroom which has an electric lift arm switch and a switch to turn it off and on. The switches are located on the bathroom wall.

The fan cover will not stay shut when it is lowered. During travel, it's like the air pressure opens it. It would appear that the motor is not holding it closed.

An explanation or a fix would be great.

Thanks,

Larry

Aventa II Tow Bar/Apollo Braking
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I fixed mine with a Fantastic Fan. Called Fantastic and they told me how to wire it to the existing wiring.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Verify that your fan is a Fantastic Vent Fan by looking on the bottom of the fan blade and/or on the side of the motor housing. If it in deed is a Fantastic Fan then I would suggest you call them and explain the problem.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Your fan is likely made by elixr or jenson.

Also, it is likely that the gearing for the lift arm has worn, and allows movement when closed.

As others have suggested, I also recomend replacing it with a fantastic fan.

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Some things are just not necessary. On all my previous RV's, it was just too easy to turn the little crank to raise/lower the bathroom vent. When I got this coach and saw the motorized lift, I thought it was kind of Mickey Mouse. Just how much automation do we need?

Sorry for the useless commentary...just couldn't help myself.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:02 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Our problem is just the opposite. When we throw the switch on the wall the lid starts to open and then sticks. I have to pull the nob and start it a bit and then it will open. Guess I'll have to spray the edges with WD40. This is the bathroom fan.

The fan in the galley is manual but we have a MaxxAir 800 on it and leave it open all the time unless the A/C is on.

I must say that I would like the rain sensor units - anyone have them? I'd be interested in hearing how they work.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

At times both the galley & bath lids stick when opening. At the factory they checked it out the repair order shows "cleaned caulk from vent hinge, brushed corn starch on both vents rubber seal" . Ocasionaly, the galley vent will still stick though, & need a little "manual" help.Need to get on the roof & check it out.
"CORN STARCH" Appears to be what the factory uses to treat/lubricate the seals including the slides. Either by brushing it on or dusting with a cloth bag filled with it.
RAIN VENT. Yes, it has worked for me a number of times. It only takes a drop to activate it, usually even before I notice it is raining.

Vern in Duvall, Wa..

2004 Vectra 40 AD Cummins 350 W/Banks power package
2004 PT Cruiser, GT, Turbo, w/5 speed
Blue Ox Avanta 3 & Blue Ox tow plate W/Brake Buddy
Good Sam, long time Thousand Trails, & considering FMCA
Old 08-12-2005, 01:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Don,

Use some silicone spray on the rubber gasket edges, open the vent, climb up on the roof and spray from the top. Use a rag to ensure you've spread the silicone evenly around the gasket. Solved the exact same problem on mine. After I applied the silicone, it has never stuck again.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:32 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

To all with fantastic fan vents that stick when opening:

I think this is a known issue with fantastic vent co. If you give them a call, there is a fix for it. 1 800 521 0298

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:01 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Don,
I had same problem with my fantastic fans and called fantastic fan. They sent me a new rubber gasket for both fans and some silicone,I think, grease. I put it on and it worked great. They are sticking again but that is because of the extreme heat we have been having here in NC. They also make a rain sensor kit for your existing fantastic vents, I think around $80.00. Call them they are very nice to talk to and very helpful.
They also do not recommend a vent cover over their vents as it restricts air flow. I was going to put one on the galley just so I can leave vent open in the summer while parked at home to exhaust some of the heat. See Ya
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:05 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I have the same problem with the vents sticking. Now I know the solution! Thanks eveyone!!!

8.1 litre
simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:06 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

This is off topic but smlranger said the manual lifts work just fine. Those of us who are vertically challenged bought Winnies because it is NO fun to stand on the commode to open the fan. lol
Old 08-17-2005, 11:00 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I am also having the same problems with the vents sticking. One of mine actually broke the roof vent cover where the arm attaches. Fantastic replaced the lid with no problems. As suggested by BucknJeff, I contacted Fantastic and they said they are having problems with the gaskets and they are sending me replacements. They are eager to fix this problem. They even asked if I knew of others that have the problem and they would send them the fix as well. Don't hesitate to call them, 1-800-521-0298. Hope this fixes the problem once and for all.

2005 Itasca Horizon, 40AD, 2005 Chevy Silverado
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote