Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-01-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Bathroom Ceiling Replacement with FRP Panel- Adhesive?

I'm replacing the ceiling in the bathroom of my 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U with an textured fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP) panel from Lowes. I'm wondering what adhesive I should use. I've removed the existing fabric ceiling and will be removing the remnants of the old adhesive.

The recommended adhesive for FRP installation is an FRP adhesive made by several different companies (Liquid Nails, Titebond, Weldwood). This is similar to the adhesive used to install vinyl on floor in that its applied with a notched trowel. According to the product literature, it is very hard to remove once it's cured.

The second and third alternatives are spray adhesives, the first being one that you spray on one of the two pieces being glued (eg. 3M 77). The second is a more traditional contact cement (eg. 3M 90) that is sprayed to both parts and dried so it's tack free before application.

I'm not enamored of the trowel on adhesive due to the difficult to remove part. Additionally it's dry time is longer and the ceiling would need to be evenly supported until it sets.

The "one surface" adhesive is attractive in that it can be re-positioned for a while the "two surface" adhesive, although stronger, cannot be re-positioned.

The FRP will be pre-cut to shape based on a Masonite template and will be installed in a single piece.

Suggestions?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #2
Former Winnebago Owner

Your question made me curious as to what this FRP is all about, so I did a bit of checking. I found some Q & A's from Home Deopt that directly address your application. Here's the URL:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-ft-x-8...9600/100389836
Looks like as with most of this stuff, whatever works for you is the best way to do it :-)
It does look like this stuff will make a very nice looking ceiling for your MH bathroom.
Be sure to post some pics of the finished project.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I chose the FRP panel for two reasons: first, my skylight leaked (which I'm replacing) staining the fabric headliner, second, I just don't like the idea of a fabric headliner in the bathroom, especially over the shower. It's also relatively inexpensive, about $34 for a 1/8" x 4 x 8 sheet, on sale for $26 and change. Given the size of my bathroom, I'm able to make the new ceiling panel in one piece, except for a small sliver in one corner which will be covered by molding.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:14 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I've used all kinds of one-part adhesives (not sealants) in my trailers and coach. Recommend you get a look at the ceiling surface you'll be putting the adhesive on - that may lead you to a 'better / best' product.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I'll be gluing the FRP to the existing luan plywood that's under the fabric after I remove the remains of the old adhesive. I don't see this having a significant affect on my choice.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The old adhesive is water soluble and is coming off easily so I'll have a smooth plywood surface for the new adhesive.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:47 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We've had good luck with this Loctite product - this is the heavy duty outdoor version which applies and spreads (if needed) easily. We use in high moisture areas like docks and boat lifts - and entry stairs to motorhomes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1143.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	169248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Entry Stairs 2.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	169249  

Old 02-04-2018, 12:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I decided to go with the 3M 90. The 3M 77 is more of a craft adhesive. I used it today to replace some of the plywood substrate that was water damaged.

Due to its size and unwieldy shape, I'm going to install the FRP panel in two pieces with the joint above the shower door, covered with a vinyl molding strip. Two pieces will also make it easier to install with the adhesive.

Although I'd made an initial cutting pattern out of 4" wide Masonite strips, hot-glued together around the perimeter, I had to make some adjustments to the full-size Masonite template I cut using the pattern. I'm glad I didn't try to go straight from the strip pattern to the FRP.

I'm hoping to finish it off tomorrow.

Tags
ace, ceiling, panel, replace, replacement