Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Bath vent cover falling apart

The vent cover has been under a cover for two years. That means it has only been exposed to the elements two years. That is WAY to short for a roof vent. Winnebago strikes again with poor quality!
Old 05-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Before you get too critical of the quality of the vent cover you should be sure the material you're using to cover the coach isn't causing the plastic to deteriorate.

Materials that have a petroleum base and stay in contact with plastic surfaces for extended periods may discolor or deteriorate the plastic. We've had it happen a couple times when plastic lawn furniture was covered with a blue tarp. Where the tarp contacted the white chairs the chairs turned brown.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It's probably the same vent cover all RV makers use.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Mine have been exposed to the elements 365 days a year for five years and still look great. Great quality Winnebago!!
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Rit
Winnebago Camper

I am on my third bathroom vent cover-2005 Voyage. Guess it can't take the Florida sun. Going to put a roof vent cover over this one.
Rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

The sun and ozone can destroy the vent covers in 2 to 3 years. We turned our fan on and the blades even disintegrated with chunks hitting the cover and breaking it into pieces. The fan blade pieces were like Styrofoam! I think that almost all of the covers are made by one or two manufacturers.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Actually the cover is a MaxxAir that is designed to fit over the entire vent. It allows you to leave the vent open when you are on the road. Direct sunlight can't reach the vent cover when this vent cover is installed.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Was wondering if your other vent is in the same condition? It just amazes me that if one company is making all or most of the vents, that the same thing isn't happening to all of us? Are there extenuating circumstances that cause the failures?

Not an engineer but it would seem that excess heat may be the culprit......just a thought.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
Mine have been exposed to the elements 365 days a year for five years and still look great. Great quality Winnebago!!
Of couse, Winne doesn't make them. Yours are the same as those that have crumbled in the sun. Very few plastics can withstand direct sunshine for very long. If they go bad, replace them.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:27 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedLancer View Post
Winnebago strikes again with poor quality!
Quote:
Actually the cover is a MaxxAir...
Sounds like you misplaced the blame then, the MaxxAir would appear to the be the problem in this case. Have you contacted them yet?
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Placing Blame

IMHO - the blame for any and all problems relate directly to the manufacturer of the coach - not the supplier of the parts. Most, if not all, manufactures of automotive/truck/RV use outside suppliers to build their product. If the quality isn't there then it's up to manufacturer to find a better product or supplier.

We cannot and should not continue to make excuses for MH builders who continue to use sub par products. I/we did not decide to put a faulty or poorly engineered part on my coach - the manufacturer did that and is therefore the place where the buck stops.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I think calling MaxxAire a sub par product is crazy, they make a very good product, look at the thousands and thousands you see on top of RVs everyday. I've personally installed 8 of their covers over the years and never had a lick of problems. Can one of these go bad, sure it can and that's why you call the prodcut manufactuer to see if they can help if it's beyond your 1 year warranty. Winnebago offers a 1 year warranty and as buyers we can either accept that or we can try and find an RV that offers a longer warranty, in my price range nobody did.

Did Winnebago install these, or did the dealer? I've never seen a photo or a new Winnie with one of these installed, they appear to be mostly after market items. If it was aftermarket then its not a Winnie issue at all, even if it isn't after 1 year all of the products; Fridge, A/C, Water Heater, Jacks, continue with any product warranty.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

The fact of the matter is the vent cover is 4 years old. Regardless of how or where you used it it's still out of warranty from Winnebago. You might get in touch with Maxxair to see if they are willing to help you out.

If it's one of their "standard" vent covers it's warrantied for 6 years.

Here's a link to the Maxxair site: http://www.maxxair.com/Products/MaxxairVentCover.aspx#

And here's a copy of the Standard Vent Cover Warranty:

Standard Maxxair Vent Cover
Part numbers 00-933066, 00-933069, 00-933067, 00-933068

MaxxAir Vent Corporation warrants this MaxxAir Vent Cover to be free of manufacturing defects, regardless of ownership for a period of six years from the original date of purchase. You must keep your original sales receipt. This Limited Warranty does not include failure due to accidents, “Acts of God”, misuse, improper installation or incidental damages. During the six year warranty period, if your MaxxAir Vent fails to perform properly under normal conditions, please call MaxxAir toll free at 1-800-780-9893 for assistance. Please have your original sales receipt readily available when you call. MaxxAir will correct a confirmed defect within 45 days by replacing it or repairing it if applicable. This warranty does not cover any freight costs for the return of the product to or from MaxxAir Vent Corp., or costs associated with installation, removal or reinstallation of the product unless expressly authorized by MaxxAir.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #14
RB3
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Skype™ to RB3
If your vent cover is from a Fantastic fan I believe they have a lifetime guarantee?? I have the same problem with the cheap vents with the small fan. My vent cover is now held togather with Eternabond tape. May last a few more years.

2005 Itasca Sunrise 33V Workhorse Chassis
Old Odyssey Toad
RB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The vent cover has been under a cover for two years. That means it has only been exposed to the elements two years. That is WAY to short for a roof vent. Winnebago strikes again with poor quality!
According to the part manual for your rig you have Fantastic brand vents which are considered the best in the industry.

See page 211 and 219 at the link below:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/...05/5wfd30b.pdf

Most dealers don't sell replacement parts for them as Fantastic will usually send them to you free using standard shipping even though the basic warranty is only two years. Lids or domes have a lifetime warranty. Fantastic vents on Winnies have upgraded double insulated lids which makes them more energy efficient than the competition.

Verify the model installed on your coach (there should be a sheet in your black bag with the vent info), call 800-521-0298 and they will ship you a new lid/dome for your vent at no charge whatsoever.

Fantastic Web Site:
http://www.fantasticvent.com/
Old 05-20-2009, 07:29 AM   #16
RB3
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Skype™ to RB3
So much for a few more years on the vent cover, it blew off in Montana yesterday. Bought a replacement in Great Falls along with a Maxxair cover. Now maybe I'll be good for a few more years.

2005 Itasca Sunrise 33V Workhorse Chassis
Old Odyssey Toad
RB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Finally got around to replacing the bathroom vent cover. The MaxxAir vent cover is still in perfect shape. When I took it off to access the "crank-up" vent cover, the cover felt like "styrofoam". It literally crumbled in my hands as I handled it. I have never seen any rigid plastic product change like that. Since the factory cover was under the MaxxAir cover, I assumed it would last longer as there is no direct sunlight on it. I guess the cover was molded without the correct ingredients in the plastic mix.

Well, I will see how long the new one lasts.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:56 AM   #18
Rit
Winnebago Camper

Great timing Big Red. I'm on my third bathroom cover and just picked up a MaxxAir vent cover yesterday at Camping World. Previous covers had cracked. Figured the MaxxAir cover will protect the crank up cover. Hope I have better luck.
Rit is offline   Reply With Quote