Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Basement Refrigerator.

Since we're looking at either the Tour or the Ellipse, one option we saw on one of the coaches we looked at had the basement refridgerator, since we plan on full timing I thought it might be a good option, but then would miss out on some basement storage,

Would it really be beneficial to have it and are they worth having. Not a beer drinker so it wouldn;t be much benefit for that.

Thanks Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #2

I bought a $80 dorm fridge at WW. Works great beer or not. You can try it then sell it a garage sale if it does'nt works out, plus u can move it around.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We didn't opt for the frige/freezer. Thet can be purchased aftermarket for a lot less. The power is in the compartment either way.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We have full timed for 4 years with a 8 cubic foot refrigerator. Winnebago offered a 12 cubic foot one but we wanted the extra pantry space instead. We have to be careful with freezer space mostly but even with the refrigerator space but it has worked out for us. We have room for everything we need. I would think that if you bought an RV with the 12 cubic foot refrigerator then you definitely would not need the extra refrigerator in the basement. Basement storage space is a bigger issue for us since we full time.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I can see where additional fridge space (or freezer space for that matter) could be handy for additional storage for full timers... In fact I have a small chest freezer in this rig. But then it takes other storage space away.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I am not a full timer(sigh) but traded my washer/dryer for a basement fridge and have never regretted it. Has saved my bacon a couple of times when my Norcold went into NoCo, great for filling up with good Iowa pork while at GNR and put in use when extra space was needed with our local chapter outings. Mine is on pull out tray and at times the extra space would have been nice, I tend to carry more jun er stuff than I truly need.

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Trap: Many people (or maybe just me) drink beer. You stated you didn't.

Well, after a few beers what happens ? Ya gotta go to the bathroom inside. So instead of making a poor excuse (everyone knows) to get another beer when you really have to use the bathroom.

If you have an outside fridge, why, you can't even use that tired old "I'm going in for another beer" excuse. I mean, how polite is it to say "Outta the way or I'll wet my pants !".

Thankfully you don't drink beer so there more of the blue bottled stuff for us.

IMHO, the outside fridge is a waste. Wait til you make a few extended trips first.

Just good humor eh ?, Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
Trap: Many people (or maybe just me) drink beer. You stated you didn't.

Well, after a few beers what happens ? Ya gotta go to the bathroom inside. So instead of making a poor excuse (everyone knows) to get another beer when you really have to use the bathroom.

If you have an outside fridge, why, you can't even use that tired old "I'm going in for another beer" excuse. I mean, how polite is it to say "Outta the way or I'll wet my pants !".

Thankfully you don't drink beer so there more of the blue bottled stuff for us.

IMHO, the outside fridge is a waste. Wait til you make a few extended trips first.

Just good humor eh ?, Kerry
Thanks Kerry and everyone else, that's what I like about these forums is you get so many different points of view that can really help in the decision making. For the price of the built in basement fridge I think we'll skip this option.

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote