Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Basement Heat Pump, Only 1/2 Works

We noticed this about a month ago. Typically when home, the MH is plugged into a 20 amp circuit, I set 20 amps on the powershare and we keep the electric heat on around 40 degrees in the cooler months. Never had a problem in two years. Recently, while plugged into 50 amp circuit with a cool night, I heard the heat pump come on, then heard the second compressor try to start and then immediately cut-off. This repeated a couple times, then I smelled that burned electric smell when something isn't right. I turned off the breaker for the second compressor and the first compressor keeps everything nice and warm. I tried the A/C with the breaker still off and it put out cold air.

I have not taken the cover off of anything to do any investigating because I probably couldn't fix it, anyway. I have read the service manual for my unit, a model 6535A871 Coleman. It seems like it might be a relay, but not sure.

Anyone have a similar problem or idea what the cause may be? Any harm in continuing to run on just the 1st compressor until we get the 2nd up and running? I know in extreme cold or heat the unit won't be able to keep up, but outside of that, any concern?

Thanks, Phil
Old 10-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

If you are sure that both 'legs' of the 50 amp service was working, I think you'll need a service call. Try plugging in to a different 50 amp pedestal or use a 30 amp adaptor and plug in to 30 amp. Then try ONLY the second A/C to see if it will come on. I'm not sure why you started out talking about 20 amp service, did both A/C work on 20 amp?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Madrona, You might have some luck in diagnosing your problem by reading thru this previous thread. You may have a bad start capacitor that can be replaced fairly easily.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/heat...ng-157984.html

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Mine did the same thing a couple months back and the tech told me the primary pump seized up so he disconnected it and now I am running on a single pump,I found a replacement pump for $425.00 or a complete new basement unit for $850.00
Markh63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you are sure that both 'legs' of the 50 amp service was working, I think you'll need a service call. Try plugging in to a different 50 amp pedestal or use a 30 amp adaptor and plug in to 30 amp. Then try ONLY the second A/C to see if it will come on. I'm not sure why you started out talking about 20 amp service, did both A/C work on 20 amp?
Well, I started with the 20 amp because I have seen some posts that say "never try to run A/C on 20 amp." I wanted to see if anyone thought that might have caused the issue, though I don't think so. Only the first A/C comes on when on a 20 amp circuit. I should have mentioned I also tested this today using the 50 amp output of the generator with the same result as being plugged into the 50 amp pedestal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Madrona, You might have some luck in diagnosing your problem by reading thru this previous thread. You may have a bad start capacitor that can be replaced fairly easily.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/heat...ng-157984.html

Sammie
Will do, Sammie, thanks. I searched already but didn't find anyone having the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh63 View Post
Mine did the same thing a couple months back and the tech told me the primary pump seized up so he disconnected it and now I am running on a single pump,I found a replacement pump for $425.00 or a complete new basement unit for $850.00
Good to know they are still available for a reasonable price, but you just gotta know the labor will get you and I'm just not able to do it myself anymore.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If the power management system is working correctly, it will only allow one compressor to function on that 20A circuit. Now if you ran anything else while that one compressor was running you may have overloaded the circuit and caused a brownout =low voltage. Anything less that 108 VAC is a brownout and will damage anything with an inductive motor. The nationwide industry standard for electric voltage is 120 VAC, + or - 10%. Manufacturers build their products accordingly to operate properly within those standards.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Basement heat pump

I has a similar problem with the burned electrical smell. Pulled the vent/panel up that covers the HVAC and removed the panel covering the electrical works. Found a burned up wire. Another time, the capacitor had burned up. I fixed the first myself with a larger wire and new connectors. The second time, I had it repaired since were were in Florida and it was hot. The mobile repair guy had the capacitor I needed and it beat trying to order one and fix it myself.

Dan [email protected]
dlboarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had mine go out twice in 10 years. First time dealer fixed it, second time I fixed it.
I think its called a Hard Start Kit, by Excel? (The maker of the A/C unit)
I bought several of them from PPL? I think they were around $25 each.
Kit is a capacitor(maybe two) and some wiring. Not too hard to replace.
Looks like the design is marginal, and this is just a part that I'll have to replace every couple of years. Would rather replace the cap than the entire motor.
I recently traded RVs so its one less item to worry about.
Good luck
alkillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Problem Solved, Thanks to All!

Thanks for all the responses. Special thanks to Sammie for pointing me in the direction of a previous thread regarding this exact problem and thanks to Adventerous2 for the explanation on how they made the repair.

Once I opened the cover and removed the panel, it was quite obvious what the problem is. It's the start capacitor, or as RV Products refers to it, Motor Starter. There are two and one had burned. I eBayed the part number and found a seller in Portland, Oregon, just a few hours away. His picture even included the instructions sheet that comes with and it has the name, RV Products, right on it. I paid 45 bucks for two of them, no tax, free shipping. It's already marked as shipped. I'm hoping it will be here tomorrow, but certainly by Monday. Now I'll have a spare, too!

I'll include some pics in anticipation of someone else having the same issue.

Thanks again for the help, IRV2 RULES!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0573 (Large).JPG
Views:	179
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	48474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0574 (Large).JPG
Views:	180
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	48475  

Click image for larger version