Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement Door supports

My entry level Winnebago uses hinged rods to hold open the basement doors below the slides. They are a real pain and I'd like to convert to another system. I'd like to hear from anyone who has converted to a piston style or any other form of upgrade.
trafman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum. My rig already has the gas strut type of supports but I would think you could add them to your rig. They basically use a ball and socket type of connection.

Hang on and I am sure someone will chime in if they have done the conversion.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have TWO large bay access doors that are under my one slide. They came with piston assist devices, two on both doors. I have just "removed" all 4 pistons. Why? Well, both doors were limited to opening no higher than just below the bottom of the slide to prevent damage if the slide was accidentally opened/closed while the doors were open. This arrangement required you to always get down on your hands and knees to access the bays, even when the slide was closed! A definite PITA. Now I have a dowel cut to the right length to prop the door open IF the slide is open......and the BIG improvement, I have another length of galvanized water pipe with a rubber crutch pad on one end to hold the doors wide open when the slide is closed.....this is a GREAT improvement!! Rook.

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
I have TWO large bay access doors that are under my one slide. They came with piston assist devices, two on both doors. I have just "removed" all 4 pistons. Why? Well, both doors were limited to opening no higher than just below the bottom of the slide to prevent damage if the slide was accidentally opened/closed while the doors were open. This arrangement required you to always get down on your hands and knees to access the bays, even when the slide was closed! A definite PITA. Rook.
We also have 2 bays under both slides. The struts on our unit are two position struts. First pull opens 90 degrees, then second lift opens an additional 70 degrees. This way I can open bays with slide out and not hit the slide but if the slide is in I can open them fully.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

HatchLift after market lift kit

The newest (Dec 2011) edition of MotorHome has an article on page 58 titled "Hold It Up" that shows an after market kit named "HatchLift" in the $32-$42 range. It looks pretty good and I may try a couple on my 2012 Winnebago Vista 35F.
ETnRvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

ETnRvr - thanks for the reply. I don't think my copy has come yet, but I'll definitely check it out. My RV is a 2011 35F, so if it works, it should work for both of us.

I really like the thought of a two stage system that George Z mentions - it sounds perfect.

The other option I'm considering w/ or w/o a better door support is a slide out tray for the under-slide compartment that has the heaviest items in it so my old back has it a bit easier.

Thanks to all who have replied and if anyone has yet to respond but has a good solution, bring it on.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

update

My copy of MH just arrived and the Hatchlift Slide model looks just like what I was looking for allowing 90 and 140 degree openings depending on whether the slide is open or closed. They can be seen at HatchLift | RV Hatch Lifts | Lift Hatch | Hatch Lift Supports | Hatch Hinges
Old 11-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
I have TWO large bay access doors that are under my one slide. They came with piston assist devices, two on both doors. I have just "removed" all 4 pistons. Why? Well, both doors were limited to opening no higher than just below the bottom of the slide to prevent damage if the slide was accidentally opened/closed while the doors were open. This arrangement required you to always get down on your hands and knees to access the bays, even when the slide was closed! A definite PITA. Now I have a dowel cut to the right length to prop the door open IF the slide is open......and the BIG improvement, I have another length of galvanized water pipe with a rubber crutch pad on one end to hold the doors wide open when the slide is closed.....this is a GREAT improvement!! Rook.
I like the idea of 2 position struts, but I think my method works almost as well and is a LOT cheaper. The original cable was Winnebago's idea, I just improved on it by making the cable loop bigger so it will slip over the screw easily and allow the door to open higher. If I need to keep it under the slide, then I loop the cable back on the screw as shown in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	15433  

Tags
door