Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Basement door replacement

I have a damaged basement door the needs to be replaced but the hinges are not so straight forward. The hinges are riveted to the door but it looks like there is only one Phillips head screw holding each hinge to the coach. Have any of you ever removed a door? The top of the hinge goes into a slot in the aluminum trim above the door but I cannot tell if ther are more screws under the trim piece.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum.

On most Winnebago coaches (tell us which one you have...that will help get you better answers), you must remove the trim piece immediately above the door to gain access to the screws that hold the hinge. For example, on my Journey, there are two long trim pieces that run the length of the coach just above the basement doors. There are small screws thru the bottom of that trim....remove those, the trim will come off and you will have access to all the screws in the door hinge.

Also, you can get replacement doors thru Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City, IA. They are a sponsor of this forum and provide outstanding service and pricing on any Winnebago/Itasca part.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for your prompt answer. I have a 2005 Adventurer 33 with WH chassis. I do have a trim strip that runs above all of the doors from front to back. I figured there would be screws beneath the strip but there is also one Phillips head screw in the middle of each hinge that goes into one of the grooves next to where the hinge top is inserted. How do I get the trim piece off? BTW I got my new door from the place you mentioned above.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
Thank you for your prompt answer. I have a 2005 Adventurer 33 with WH chassis. I do have a trim strip that runs above all of the doors from front to back. I figured there would be screws beneath the strip but there is also one Phillips head screw in the middle of each hinge that goes into one of the grooves next to where the hinge top is inserted. How do I get the trim piece off? BTW I got my new door from the place you mentioned above.
If you look up under the trim piece you will see small phillips screws going up into that trim piece. You must remove all those screws to get the trim off. Once the trim piece is removed, it will reveal all the screws in the door hinges.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hi Inspectorudy
I've been putting off the same job for a couple years now...but I'm getting tired of explaining that "I bought it dented like that"-guess I'll do it this spring. How expensive is the door? I did read onetime to make certain that the clearcoat/paint along the top of the trim piece does not pull large "patches" away with the trim piece. I guess you may have to use a razor to scribe a line along the joining fillet of the wall and trim piece. Please post how it goes...
Gene

currently no toad
mygrayhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Gene, thanks for the tip about the trim and the paint. I can just imagine the expletives if I had done that! I will probably do the job in the next week or so. I bought the paint yesterday with the Winne formula for my color. I hope its close. The door was $625 delivered from Indiana!!! It is unpainted and you must use your own hinges and lock. It does come primed and with the latch prongs and insulation installed. This seems like a poor way to install a door system that is prone to damage.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

That's about what I expected as for cost. I may just have my dent filled and repainted-although I still worry a bit about how close the colors would be.

I would think the side opening doors would be a lot easier to deal with than our type. Good luck with it.
Gene

currently no toad
mygrayhound is offline   Reply With Quote