Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement Air with a variation

Spent the last two weeks of August in southern Nevada. The temps ranged from about 100 to 110 degrees. The A/C worked hard, the whole time. On the generator while on the road and at the various campsites. Starting with Yermo, CA, then Las Vegas, Mesquite, Pahrump, Hawthorne and Minden NV. The best we could get was about a 15 degree cooling difference between the outside temps and the interior temp. I think I have read ALL of the posts regarding the Winne basement air issues here on IRV2, and was very sensitive to the continued operations of the unit. We just recently changed the air filter under the bed. All of the campsites were 50amp, with the exception of the one in Minden, which was 30amp. While at Minden, the air seemed to work well as before, but after running for a few minutes it started to sound a little more like a washing machine! This went of for a couple of minutes, then went away. This noise would happen on and off over the next three days. Left for home, Orange County CA, with a stopover in Lone Pine CA, with 50amp.... no washing machine noise !!?? Recently has a Progressive Surge Protector(hardwired) installed and had no error msg's. Any thought's ?
Thanx
RWJ
Russ & Ronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Russ ...On 30 amp hook up in hot weather and both comps. running you were pushing the amp limit so voltage was a little low causing the comps. to really work hard. The noise was most likely just a harmonic beat from the 2 comps. working hard. Mine does this also in really high temps. Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

There have been reports of the squirrel cage blowers making contact with their housings and noisy bearings on those assemblies. Also, some folks report a sort of drone as the two compressors run. Perhaps, working hard, that droning noise is more apparent.

At least a few folks who spend time in places where it is so hot have added a roof AC unit in one of the vent openings to supplement the basement AC unit.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

To be sure your second compressor is coming on check your amp meter on A/C start up. It should start with say 18 amps and in 30 seconds, as long as room temp is more than 2 degrees from set temp. the amps will kick up to 24 when the second comp kicks in.

I recently had an issue where my second compressor was not starting. I opened the side grill which hinges upward and removed the cover on the left front of the unit. Just looking in saw some wiring that was bad. Repaired the faulty wiring and it worked then.
REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT ALL ELECTRIC BEFORE CHECKING THIS AREA!!!!!!
rickandmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

When you start your basement air in a 30 amp park try this. Before you put the air on, go to the breaker box and throw the breaker for compressor #2 off.
Put the a/c on and wait until it has started and unit has settled down, putting out air. Then throw the breaker for compressor #2 and away you go. That washing machine noise was compressor #2 trying to start while compressor #1 was "spiking".
I also suggest you go to harbor freight and get a $29 infrared thermal "gun" to check the temperature difference. You may be surprised.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I drove up in our Penske moving van August 2004, and it was 116deg. We haven't spent a summer in Mesquite yet.

If you haven't already done so, carefully check your outside ductwork. Also, visually check your indoor coil for any factory debris.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Two-niner – on what model rig are you pulling that #2 compressor CB? When I tried doing so neither compressor would come on line.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

It's an 08 Tour. Never had any problems. Was at the Rally in Redmond and started the A/C every day using that method. Been doing it for 3 years.
Obviously we are "wired" differently. The manual states to set the thermostat 2 degrees above ambient, but it could be 90 degrees inside and I'd have the thermostat set on 70 degrees and it worked every time.
However when both compressors are running the amps read 22. I always shut the refrigerator off first. then put it back on after a/c is in full operation. Amps read 26 then.
Maybe someone with your model can explain the difference. One other item: if the a/c has beeen running on the generator, I always allow about five minutes before restarting on park 30 amp.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Paul T,

Your CB's may be mislabeled. Turn off # 1 & see if it will run.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanx for the responses. When in the same situation in the future, will try the various startup methods noted here.
Thanx

RWJ
Russ & Ronda is offline   Reply With Quote