Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Basement air vent leaks

I have watched a commerical selling a spray sealant that seals a screen door on the bottom of a boat. I am wondering if anyone has tried this sealant? I retaped my vent , but was thinking what if one could spray the area, maybe it would help keep the seal from opening again.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Would help if we knew what spray sealant you were talking about but it seems like it might work.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I just had my dealer retape the duct seam on my coach. It was up too high for me to reach. Someone suggested removing the tail light to get some access to the duct. I looked at some of the suggestions I found on this forum. I have an extended warrenty on my coach and with the cost of the metalic tape ($30 for 30' roll 2 1/2" tape) and all the fun of laying on my back trying to clean the affected area, I just gave the dealer $100 (my deductable) and let them take the cap off the back and do the permanent repairs. The dealer also added some additional support straps for the duct.

I would guess that if you could retape the seam and then reach the area with the spray can it would be worth a try. I think that the key to the repair is cleaning off the dust and gunk that accumulated on the affected area. The service manager at the dealer where my repairs were done felt that the factory people assembled the duct in a dusty atmosphere.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Flex Steel

Its called Flex Steel, and works great on my gutters. Seems like it would be a good thing to try. It's about 20 bucks a can.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Yes I did clean the area best I could. I was watching tv when this ad came on and "IF" it worked like the commercial it might work on our vent. It looks like it sprays a fair distance and creates a film when applied. I was asking mainly to see if someone else might have seen the ad, and tried it. I'm thinking maybe one of the Florida flea markets this winter will have it in one of their kiosks "as seen on tv". The tape seems to be holding for now, but so did the original !

Equinox Toad
Old 08-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Gerall glad to find I wasn't dreaming ! It looked like it would spray a couple feet ? It showed you can paint over it, so I assume doesn't dry sticky.

Equinox Toad
Old 08-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #7

Thumbs up

I just installed a 13,500 High Efficiency Roof Air (in place of the Fantastic Vent) to supplement the inadequate basement air. Today: 90 degrees outside temp, 69 degrees inside temp. Happy!
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, vent