Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement Air - the best you can hope for...

I remember someone in a previous thread mentioning the maximum number of degrees the AC can cool the coach below the outside air temp. Anyone have that number? I have been through a week of 102-107 degree temps in Memphis and the coach was typically 82-84 during those temps. It also seems like the thermostat reads a little high (like 4 degrees worth). I'm thinking this kind of performance is the best I can hope for in those temps - any feedback?

2009 Vectra 40WD
jimjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The standard is that when an AC is working as designed, it will put out air at a temp of 20 degrees below the air temp at the intake ...that is NOT necessarily the OUTSIDE temp, it is the temp at the ac air intake which is at/near the air filter inside the coach. That said, with the dual compressor unit that Winnebago has in the basement, I have consistently tested my unit at ceiling vents vs intake grill at apx 20 degrees difference with only one compressor running, and apx 40 degrees difference with BOTH compressors running. If on 30a or generator, you should see apx 17 apm on the EMS display when one compressor is running, and 23 amp on the EMS display when BOTH compressors are running.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hi Jim,

1 compressor, 25°F. 2 compressors 45°F. Outside air 100°F, inside temperature 74°F or less, but then that’s too cold for us. Airflow out the gazoo, it’s like a hurricane so we never use high fan. Thermal blankets in the windshield, bedroom windows, and bathroom window (see Photos section).

Thermostat on the Adventurer and Journey corrected years ago by adding just the right amount of resistance across the temperature sensing diode. Used a temperature probe for my Fluke Meter and a decade resistance box to determine the correct resistor. I don’t remember the value but seems like 100’s of kohms was correct.

The Horizons thermostat would have to have a resistor added in series to correct it and since it only reads a couple of degrees high, I elected to leave it alone. We set the thermostat to 78°F or 79°F and the air temperature is then normally around 76°F , which is very comfortable for us.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post
I remember someone in a previous thread mentioning the maximum number of degrees the AC can cool the coach below the outside air temp. Anyone have that number? I have been through a week of 102-107 degree temps in Memphis and the coach was typically 82-84 during those temps. It also seems like the thermostat reads a little high (like 4 degrees worth). I'm thinking this kind of performance is the best I can hope for in those temps - any feedback?
From my experience, you're doing about as well as can be expected.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
It also seems like the thermostat reads a little high
Another thought ... the thermostat can be skewed by a ceiling vent blowing on it, of by nearby heat sources. Sometimes that might be helpful, other times not ...
Old 08-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I agree with AFChap. I can change the temp in our rig just by redirecting the airflow from the ceiling vents. When I want it cooler, I direct it away. I haven't touched our actual thermostat setting in about a week.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The basement air in my coach also has a hard time keeping up if it is real hot. I almost feel the subject of basement air not cooling well enough should be a sticky on the forum. I added a 13,500 btu coleman power saver yesterday. I am a strong believer in backup and if the basement ac fails while you are out on the road, you are screwed. In addition, I feel that while in direct sunlight, even with awnings, shades and everything else you can do, the cooling put out by the basement ac just is not enough to keep up with the heat coming in. The addition of the roof top unit is a piece of cake. Hardest part is snaking the wires.
stardalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Sounds about right.

We were visiting the grandkids in Platte City MO just north of KC last 2 weeks. Almost every day was above 100. We always ran about 20 to 25 degrees below outside temp. One day it was 106 with a heat index of 112 and the coach stayed around 80 to 85 degrees. Surprisingly it felt comfortable when you came in from the outside.

Now we are back home in Carlsbad, CA and remembered why it cost so much to live here. Today was a blisteing 78 degrees. and in the mornings 68.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have no problem keeping my coach in the 70's when it is 100 degrees or greater outside. I have found the key is to close everything up and start you AC early so your not playing catch up later in the day. Late morning and late afternoon, my AC will cycle. But during the hottest part of the day it will run continuously. I am very pleased with the AC/Heat pump unit.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Is the btu's in the basement air on the sun cruisers, the same as the btu's on the larger units? I am saying this bc my basement air just did not do it for me alone. Maybe it works on the shorter units but no way is it keeping me cool as I would like it to. I had a technician look at it and they told me the unit is working as it should be.
stardalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardalo View Post
Is the btu's in the basement air on the sun cruisers, the same as the btu's on the larger units? I am saying this bc my basement air just did not do it for me alone. Maybe it works on the shorter units but no way is it keeping me cool as I would like it to. I had a technician look at it and they told me the unit is working as it should be.
I don't know this first hand, but it was mentioned on this forum that the units are the same regardless of the coach size. Also, the basement compressors were made larger in 2009. We got fed up with closing the coach like a cave just to go camping. What good is it to sit there with insulation or whatever covering the windows. Might as well stay home. We added roof air and now we keep the windows uncovered and enjoy camping. We don't have to live in a cave anymore. Joe
Old 08-22-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

my basement air does not cool enough in july and august. plugged into 50 amp which has been checked, my green light only shows 30 amp and no green light on comp#2. i'm taking in next week hoping it can be fixed. in the past, it has worked fine.
pawpawboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:50 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Have been watching these basement air threads for a while now. Mine also seems to struggle when it's real hot outside. So my question is, what tells you whether one compressor or two is running? Could one be bad and you not know it?

Thanks for any feedback
Bobby
Old 08-23-2010, 08:20 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneb View Post
Have been watching these basement air threads for a while now. Mine also seems to struggle when it's real hot outside. So my question is, what tells you whether one compressor or two is running? Could one be bad and you not know it?

Thanks for any feedback
Bobby
When running on the generator look at the amp readout on the "One Place Panel". If both compressors are running it should read around 22 to 24 amps. Joe
Old 08-23-2010, 11:06 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief View Post
I have no problem keeping my coach in the 70's when it is 100 degrees or greater outside. I have found the key is to close everything up and start you AC early so your not playing catch up later in the day. Late morning and late afternoon, my AC will cycle. But during the hottest part of the day it will run continuously. I am very pleased with the AC/Heat pump unit.
FDchief is right on! My coach is 39' 11" and in the past 2 wks of 94 to 102 deg it maintains 75 or 76 deg where I like it. It will get to 73 if I want it that cold. Key for me is to park it pointed due north to keep the sun off the windshield. I have silver bubble insulation on both insides of the front windows, and it's nice and bright in here with the windshield open to the north. Parked any other direction, and I'd have to put insulation in the windshield too
Old 08-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

With added roof air...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
FDchief is right on! My coach is 39' 11" and in the past 2 wks of 94 to 102 deg it maintains 75 or 76 deg where I like it. It will get to 73 if I want it that cold. Key for me is to park it pointed due north to keep the sun off the windshield. I have silver bubble insulation on both insides of the front windows, and it's nice and bright in here with the windshield open to the north. Parked any other direction, and I'd have to put insulation in the windshield too
If you add roof air you don't have to cover any windows, that is why we did it so that we are not sitting in a cave during July and August. It just makes camping so much nicer. We like to look outside and see trees and etc. Happy travels, Joe
Old 08-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

You may have a point as my coach is only 34'. With that said. I use no insulation on my windows, probably makes sense to park it facing N, but I don't worry about that either. Don't shut the shades, just windows. The wife doesn't like the cave look either. No problems here. I do conduct the maintenance each Spring by simple greening the condenser coils, vacuuming the inside condenser, and changing filters every other month depending on use. The second smaller filter hardly ever gets dirty, but the first one really loads up. I am guessing that the engineers decided on two filters to give you some more time between changes as if the first larger filter gets totally obstructed then you would still have flow through the second. Not telling, just saying
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
...I have silver bubble insulation...

what's silver bubble insulation?

thanks, pdq
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

I know the basement AC normally draws 23-24 amps when both circuit breakers are in the on position. So my question can you cause any damage by turning off the second compressor when you are connected to a 20 amp circuit? Some of my relatives don't have 30 amp circuit but do have 20 amp.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #20
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
So my question can you cause any damage by turning off the second compressor when you are connected to a 20 amp circuit?
That would work just fine.......may not keep you cool but it will not harm the A/C