Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Kix
Thanks - I knew it would not be near as efficient but if need be any cool air would help. My concern is/was potential damage to the AC control board and or anything else in that box.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:41 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Kix
Thanks - I knew it would not be near as efficient but if need be any cool air would help. My concern is/was potential damage to the AC control board and or anything else in that box.
We've just spent a month visiting relatives and living on a 20 amp circuit. I didn't throw the breaker for the second compressor and my EMS did a great job of keeping it from coming on.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #23
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
We've just spent a month visiting relatives and living on a 20 amp circuit. I didn't throw the breaker for the second compressor and my EMS did a great job of keeping it from coming on.
Just a FYI to prolong the life of your EMS.......When the EMS sheds a load it energizes a relay on the EMS control module. During the month you were connected to 20amp service the #2 A/C compressor relay was energized. Energizing creates heat and heat will eventually kill electronics.
So, if you plan on not using the #2 compressor for an extended period turn the breaker off.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Just a FYI to prolong the life of your EMS.......When the EMS sheds a load it energizes a relay on the EMS control module. During the month you were connected to 20amp service the #2 A/C compressor relay was energized. Energizing creates heat and heat will eventually kill electronics.
So, if you plan on not using the #2 compressor for an extended period turn the breaker off.
Wow, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks Kix!!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
can you cause any damage by turning off the second compressor when you are connected to a 20 amp circuit?
We have done that on occasion with no problem. Actually, I figured out how to do that when the start capacitor and some wiring for the second compressor were burned from a low voltage connection and it would keep trying to come on, and failing. After I found the breaker and turned it off, we ran the ac like that for a couple of weeks until we could get it repaired.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:02 PM   #26
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Wow, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks Kix!!
to be honest I didn't think of it either. I got "schooled" when I had a problem with mine.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

We had visited one of our family members in CA and they had a 20 amp circuit but apparently the EMS did not share or separate loads and triggered the breaker. Next time I'll discnnect the second switch (compressor) if we need to run the AC.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Added A/C

I added a portable A/C unit, a 12,000 unit on rollers, not wanting to give up the vent fan. It sits by the front passenger seat, I vented it out the small window by the passenger seat, using a dryer vent. I installed a 110 plug inside where I can run a separate extension cord to the A/C from outside. I store it in the bedroom while traveling. I do have to drain the water out, that is the only drawback, I added a tube that makes that easier.
Billy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq_bc View Post
what's silver bubble insulation?

thanks, pdq
Sorry for the late response, it is basically silver coated bubble wrap:

Available at Lowes, probably other home improvement stores. We use it when we have to, but it does create the "Cave" feeling my wife does not like.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Hi KIX,

My question is, what does turning off the output breaker (or for that mater an input breaker) have to do with whether or not the EMS shedding relays still function? The EMS does not know that the breaker has been tripped plus it works on 12 Volts not 120 VAC.

As to heat, after 40 years in electronics, I have only seen one relay coil open due to heat. And that was on this coach and it was the tie contactor made by Trombetta. The coil was designed for 12 Volts and had charger voltage on it the whole time the engine was running (13.6 to 14.4 or more). As much as 50% more heat.

Relays and contactors usually fail from:
1. Inductive loads that arc the contacts.
2. Excessive contact current.
3. Excessive contact cycles (exceeding the design life cycles of the relay).
Very hard to do in an RV.
4. Insufficient current allowing contacts to oxidize i.e. voltage sample circuits.
Good design uses mechanically wiping contacts.

The operative failure mode in relays and contactors is the contacts, not the coil from heat.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #31
KIX
Winnebago Master

Mr. Transistor, Apparently you didn't read all of my posts on this subject. Look back and you will see one that advises that "I was schooled when mine failed." That means someone told what I repeated.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:32 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief View Post
You may have a point as my coach is only 34'. With that said. I use no insulation on my windows, probably makes sense to park it facing N, but I don't worry about that either. Don't shut the shades, just windows. The wife doesn't like the cave look either. No problems here. I do conduct the maintenance each Spring by simple greening the condenser coils, vacuuming the inside condenser, and changing filters every other month depending on use. The second smaller filter hardly ever gets dirty, but the first one really loads up. I am guessing that the engineers decided on two filters to give you some more time between changes as if the first larger filter gets totally obstructed then you would still have flow through the second. Not telling, just saying
where is the second ac filter located?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:01 AM   #33
Winnie-Wise

My rig only has one filter per the manual. I'll have to read that section again, maybe I'm wrong. Joe
Old 08-31-2010, 02:52 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Hi KIX,

Sorry, didn’t mean to open a can of worms. Your comment sounded as if you knew the inner workings of the EMS. I thought I had read all of the thread and I did. Your second comment sounded like someone had agreed with your analysis. My experience and knowledge of the EMS forms the background of my statements.

I think you were led astray by whoever ‘schooled’ you on this procedure. Are you able to elaborate on what happened and what failed? It may be that something actually failed for a reason completely different than what the tech thought.

It is ‘my’ recommendation that tripping the breaker for the #2 compressor will neither harm nor help the EMS in it’s load shedding job. Let the system do its thing, just make sure to select 20 Amp. or 30 Amp. as appropriate.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:46 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

For some reason, my coach has 2 filters under the bed. A 10x20 and a 14x20. The larger one also gets dirtier, but I think it is because it is right next to the return air grill on the side of the bed frame.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:33 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
For some reason, my coach has 2 filters under the bed. A 10x20 and a 14x20. The larger one also gets dirtier, but I think it is because it is right next to the return air grill on the side of the bed frame.
Ditto, what DancinCampers said
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:28 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Interesting. I have a 14x20 under the closet floor. But the bulk of the return air flows under the bed and there is a grill at the foot of the bed that I guess I could add a filter too if I wanted to ...it would be more like 6x24 ...rather odd size, but might keep the under bed area a little cleaner though it isn't intended for storage on our rig...
Old 08-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #38
Winnebago Watcher

I have two A/C filters...one in the closet the other under the bed...pull out the board with the circle cut out for your finger to fit in and it is there.
GypsyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:02 PM   #39
Winnebago Watcher

I too had problems with my basement air this summer. Outside temp 108, inside temp of coach while going down the road was 98 degrees. Very hot! I checked my EMS and it did not show 17 amps, blowing air via the vents but hot air. I am assuming my compressor #1 is not working. Got to campground, plugged in to electrical, A/C ran fine and cooled coach. Checked the basement unit...green light flashing as indicated but also had a red light on board. Is this normal?
GypsyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:06 PM   #40
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyLady View Post
I too had problems with my basement air this summer. Outside temp 108, inside temp of coach while going down the road was 98 degrees. Very hot! I checked my EMS and it did not show 17 amps, blowing air via the vents but hot air. I am assuming my compressor #1 is not working. Got to campground, plugged in to electrical, A/C ran fine and cooled coach. Checked the basement unit...green light flashing as indicated but also had a red light on board. Is this normal?
Please furnish coach info such as make and model. Thanks, Joe