Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 04:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Basement Air Service?

I use to have a map with location indicating "UF" I believe, that indicated shops that did work on basement air. That link has changed. Does anyone have such a resource?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Basement air units are very similar to home A/C units, call any local HVAC company and see if they can service yours. If you find a company that deals with the same brand, all the more likely they can help.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Question 2?

I have basement are, it is working ok for the most part. Should I spend money to have it serviced or should I wait until it quite?

Is service more than opening the door and agreeing with me that it is working????
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:31 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Very little service to be done on it. Maybe clean coils and fans, mine has a small oil cup on the bearings. Tech can't even check Freon levels without installing valves.

If its working OK, I would let it be. Also most techs won't work on it until you pull it out. Duner has a good write up on here on that procedure.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:57 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Question 2?

I have basement are, it is working ok for the most part. Should I spend money to have it serviced or should I wait until it quite?

Is service more than opening the door and agreeing with me that it is working????
If you are comfortable doing some mechanical work, and maybe have a helper (I did mine myself), I'd recommend sliding the unit out of it's compartment, on to a platform of some sort (think milk crates and a 1/4 sheet of plywood). There is plenty of slack, so no need to disconnect wiring.

Remove top cover, and clean the coils and give the whole unit a good cleaning. Then replace the blower bearing assemblies (2), which are just bushings with an oil cup, which probably has never been oiled since initial new. You can get sealed ball-bearing direct replacements, from Grainger, or on-line. It is a simple job. Check and clean the part of the air duct that you have access to, and if you are handy with electrical work, and with power OFF, buy 2 replacement starting capacitors from an A/C guy or supplier, and put everything back together. Test unit, which still setting on the work platform, the re-install.

Your total cost; about $50, and the better part of your day. If you don't want to do it yourself, but if you slide the unit out and take the tops sheet metal cover off, any decent A/C guy can easily do the rest of the work in an hour.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Should the capacitors be discharged before changing out?
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:31 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J View Post
Should the capacitors be discharged before changing out?
Where's the fun in that? More challenging to see if you can do it without a shocking surprise.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service