Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement Air Question

We were at GNR all week and ran our ac 24/7 as it was really hot. The system ran flawlessly. When we left the rally, we fired up the gen. and turned the air back on, still running fine. We stopped to gas up a little while later, shut the air off, then shut the gen. off. After fueling, got the gen. running then tried to get the air on and nothing. I reset the house breakers (none were tripped), reset the breakers on the gen. (weren't tripped either), checked the fuse on the circuit board behind the cover on the ac switch on the control panel and that checked out fine. I can get the system's fan to run, but not the compressors. When we got home I plugged into shore power and no change, the ac while not come on. Any thoughts from the board of wisdom??
Old 07-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We had a similar failure. Fan worked. Furnace worked. A/C did not.

In our case it was the thermostat. It is a DIY repair, but since the design changed since our coaches were built you will need to get the pigtail wiring adapter when you order the thermostat. Be sure the thermostat has the plug, not the bare wire version if you determine this is your problem.

I ordered ours from Lichtsinn Motors.

Good luck.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

On our coach there is a red reset button in the wiring box of the air conditioning unit. I need to open the grill on the outside of the coach (screws on bottom, hinged on top) then remove the wiring box cover on left side of the unit. Inside, ours has the reset button as well as a fuse. I replaced the fuse and pressed the reset button and everything works.

When you get the cover off, you will also be able to see a circuit board, starting capacitors, etc. There are LEDs that display the system status but you need the instruction manual to decipher them..

Hope this helps, let us know the outcome
Old 07-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martind4 View Post
On our coach there is a red reset button in the wiring box of the air conditioning unit. I need to open the grill on the outside of the coach (screws on bottom, hinged on top) then remove the wiring box cover on left side of the unit. Inside, ours has the reset button as well as a fuse. I replaced the fuse and pressed the reset button and everything works.

When you get the cover off, you will also be able to see a circuit board, starting capacitors, etc. There are LEDs that display the system status but you need the instruction manual to decipher them..

Hope this helps, let us know the outcome
Hey Denny, Thanks for responding, I opened the door on the unit itself and studied it for a while and can't seem to find a reset button. Do you remember the physical location of said fuse and button? I'm trying to troubleshoot the system myself (as much as my limited knowledge and experience allows!) before breaking down and taking it somewhere. Thanks for your help!
Rod
Old 07-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

MM53:

Some where on here there is a Blog that shows you how to drop the whole AC unit yourself. You have to do a search for it. I will try and find it also.

You should have two starting capacitors. They look like two little cylinders with two connections on top. You should have one capacitor for each compressor. If one of those connections on top are fried your AC will not run. They are like $20 bucks each. But I am not sure, you may have to drop your AC unit to get at them.

Regards Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

MM53:

bill&helen2010 OK here is Bills Website. It has complete pictures and instructions on how to drop your own air. It shows pictures of the capacitors also.

Hope this helps. Look under one of my posts about my AC stopped working in Winchester VA. My main cooling fan motor went. $1K to remove and fix.

Good Luck
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

No need to drop or remove the unit to get to the controls and compressor start/run capacitors. Just remove a few screws on the grill over the unit outside, raise that up, and open the panel to the left on the heat pump. You will see the capacitors, control board and wiring behind that panel.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchman53 View Post
Hey Denny, Thanks for responding, I opened the door on the unit itself and studied it for a while and can't seem to find a reset button. Do you remember the physical location of said fuse and button? I'm trying to troubleshoot the system myself (as much as my limited knowledge and experience allows!) before breaking down and taking it somewhere. Thanks for your help!
Rod

Ours is a Model 6545 series, yours might be different. Here is a pic of our wiring box, my hairy finger is pointing at the fuse holder, you can see the red reset button at top right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC box.jpg
Views:	1666
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	12363  
Old 07-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

On my unit there are two start relays before the capacitors -- on each one of them is a jumper wire. Last year the jumper wire on the relay for the number one compressor burned into. One of the spade terminals was not fully pushed on and this causes an arcing which burned the wire. I replaced the wire with a #12 stranded wire, two new female terminals. Put it on and the air started working again as normal. Still working fine this year. This is not a common problem but, I am not the only one that has experienced it. If the #1 compressor will not start, then the #2 will not engage so it effectively killed the unit.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Rod
if the #1 system will not start, the #2 system will not either by design.
you can switch the wiring from the #1 components to the #2 components to run the #2 system with the #1 breaker. leave the #2 breaker off.
check this resource:

Airxcel | RV Products
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have found an online service manual for my unit (didn't come in my black bag) and found out that the "A" model does not have the reset button. I have looked everything over closely and can see nothing physically wrong, no loose or burnt wires etc. I can get the system's fan to run but not the compressors. There are two freeze /exclusion relay switches marked f and fy. The service manual suggests that if the fan runs but not the compressors, to try jumping between these two switches and if the comps. run, then I need a new thermostat. Haven't tried it yet and I'm not sure if I can identify them but it's worth a shot. We don't have much of a dealership in the area so I may end up running it back to Forest City (around 100 mi. from home). I'm quite sure they will be able to troubleshoot it in fairly short order. Thanks to all of you that responded, I always learn a lot from you guys! Will let you know the outcome later.
Rod
Old 07-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I have found an online service manual for my unit (didn't come in my black bag) and found out that the "A" model does not have the reset button. I have looked everything over closely and can see nothing physically wrong, no loose or burnt wires etc. I can get the system's fan to run but not the compressors. There are two freeze /exclusion relay switches marked f and fy. The service manual suggests that if the fan runs but not the compressors, to try jumping between these two switches and if the comps. run, then I need a new thermostat. Haven't tried it yet and I'm not sure if I can identify them but it's worth a shot. We don't have much of a dealership in the area so I may end up running it back to Forest City (around 100 mi. from home). I'm quite sure they will be able to troubleshoot it in fairly short order. Thanks to all of you that responded, I always learn a lot from you guys! Will let you know the outcome later.
Rod
my thermostat was intermittent when i bought my moho in '06. shooting contact cleaner into the slide switch and rapidly operating it worked for a while. i ended up replacing the thermostat assemble.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #13
KIX
Winnebago Master

Go to the link in this thread.....post #10. On that page click on "Technical Information" then go to "Service Manuals" in the drop down menu. Find your model number and cllick on THAT service manual..... In the manual there is an Electical Flow Chart that will help you diagnose your problem.
Good luck.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
my thermostat was intermittent when i bought my moho in '06. shooting contact cleaner into the slide switch and rapidly operating it worked for a while. i ended up replacing the thermostat assemble.
Woudn't that be a stitch if that fixed the problem? I'll sure give it a shot (pun intended)!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

If you do need a new thermostat, I'd recommend this one: https://www.makariosrv.com/products/...-True-Air.html

It's much less than the one Lichtsinn and doesn't require a "pigtail". You just lop off the extra connector and plug it in. I replaced mine a few months ago and it works fine.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote