Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I haven't run the check list yet, but want to get some guidance from those in the know...

Switch to A/C. Fans both kick on, and I can hear one compressor running, and it does cool. Then I hear the second compressor tring to start, but failing, and keep trying. I think it is compressor #1 that is not starting since when I shut the breaker off for #2 in my main panel (the one I usually flip when on only 30 amp service) I can hear the running compressor drop out and it continues to attempt to start the other. If that makes any sense...

I am thinking it is the start cap for the #1 compressor, is my off the cuff guess right?

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I haven't run the check list yet, but want to get some guidance from those in the know...

Switch to A/C. Fans both kick on, and I can hear one compressor running, and it does cool. Then I hear the second compressor tring to start, but failing, and keep trying. I think it is compressor #1 that is not starting since when I shut the breaker off for #2 in my main panel (the one I usually flip when on only 30 amp service) I can hear the running compressor drop out and it continues to attempt to start the other. If that makes any sense...

I am thinking it is the start cap for the #1 compressor, is my off the cuff guess right?

John

Old 04-20-2008, 08:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

John,
Also take a close look at all the wiring in the box where the start capacitors live. I had a couple of corroded wires/connectors. Replacing those cured my problems.

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

JB!

Thanks much.

I am happy to report that I figured it out already! I had one wire burnt and corroded badly on the relay, but after fixing it I still had the same problem.

I thought "Why not switch the starting caps around and see if the other compressor acted up and the one that is acting up starts" at least I figured that would rule out a locked up compressor.

When I attempted to disconnect the caps, one wire just fell off, I am guessing last year when I switched out the circuit board I must have installed that wire badly, and it wasn't actually on the terminal but wedged between the plastic and the conductor. As soon as I fixed that both compressors started right off, and all seems to be well.

Just to be sure I grabbed an ammeter and checked the incoming lines Circuit #1 is running a steady 7.4 amps, and circuit #2 is running a steady 8.4 amps. I am curious if that extra amp is a sign of a failing compressor? Does anyone have any reference numbers?

Thanks again

John

Old 04-21-2008, 05:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Last year I had a similar failure, burnt wires and burnt relay, (low voltage) and after replaceing the parts I had a few questions. Got a tech guy on the phone froom Coleman-Mach. he had me take a amp readiing on the 2 white wires going to each coompressor. Got 9 amps on each, he said that was OK. Hope tha helps. Having had 3 failures in 3 years, circuit boards, star and run caps, I invested in the Hughes Auto-former.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hi John,

I don't have any reference numbers, but in looking at the wiring diagram, I believe the outdoor fan HI speed runs off the comp #2 circuit. This could explain the difference, especially if you are running the indoor fan on LO. I think the indoor fan in either speed runs off the #1 comp circuit.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Hi John,Just had to tell you it's nice to hear someone has problems with air conditioners-we are freezing our buns off in northern Alberta at a cold -10 with a n.w. wind howling at about 20mph! Exfarmer fred.
yuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fossilhog:
Last year I had a similar failure, burnt wires and burnt relay, (low voltage) and after replaceing the parts I had a few questions. Got a tech guy on the phone froom Coleman-Mach. he had me take a amp readiing on the 2 white wires going to each coompressor. Got 9 amps on each, he said that was OK. Hope tha helps. Having had 3 failures in 3 years, circuit boards, star and run caps, I invested in the Hughes Auto-former. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forgot to add, I e mailed them [email protected] and the guy called me and talked me thru some diagnostics, I just happened to have all the test equipment needed.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:16 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fossilhog:
Last year I had a similar failure, burnt wires and burnt relay, (low voltage) and after replaceing the parts I had a few questions. Got a tech guy on the phone froom Coleman-Mach. he had me take a amp readiing on the 2 white wires going to each coompressor. Got 9 amps on each, he said that was OK. Hope tha helps. Having had 3 failures in 3 years, circuit boards, star and run caps, I invested in the Hughes Auto-former. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto on the AutoFormer. Lost the inside blower and all the starting caps during the heatwave and brownouts of the summer of 06 due to the extended periods of low voltage. Since I got the AutoFormer no more of these types of problems.

The starter cap systems that I replaced before getting the AutoFormer had to be replaced again as they were already damaged by the time the AutoFormer was installed but nothing new since.