Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Basement air problem

My Coleman-Mach basement air condenser fan doesn't always turn on. Once in a while I hear the compressor running, the fins seem quite hot and the big blower fan isn't running to blow air across the hot coils. I am worried I will ruin the compressor. Relay or start capacitor problem? How difficult is it to access those parts? I looked underneath and it didn't seem intuitive.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Duner on this forum wrote up a How-To

Winnebago Basement AC Removal Proceedure
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Duner on this forum wrote up a How-To

Winnebago Basement AC Removal Proceedure
Man, I guess he did, what a write-up! Thanks. 31 pages with pics on every one of them. Not sure this is something I want to tackle in a campground, might wait till I get home where all of my tools and helper muscle is located.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Man, I guess he did, what a write-up! Thanks. 31 pages with pics on every one of them. Not sure this is something I want to tackle in a campground, might wait till I get home where all of my tools and helper muscle is located.
The start capacitors and relays are easy to access without removing the whole unit.

Just unscrew the bottom of the outside panel and it will hinge up out of the way. Then one screw to remove the black plate to access the circuit board and caps.

There are status LEDs for troubleshooting on the circuit board. If you download the service guide from rvp, you will find a lot of useful info

http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/pdf_documents/1976323a.pdf

Good luck,
Bill
Old 03-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

So I have a similar problem on my '05 Journey diesel engine. I can hear the compressors turn on but there outdoor blower doesn't run. We had this thing changed a couple of years ago. Can it be the capacitor or do you think running air to clean it or greasing it somehow might get it working?
opolanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
The start capacitors and relays are easy to access without removing the whole unit.

Just unscrew the bottom of the outside panel and it will hinge up out of the way. Then one screw to remove the black plate to access the circuit board and caps.

There are status LEDs for troubleshooting on the circuit board. If you download the service guide from rvp, you will find a lot of useful info

http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/pdf_documents/1976323a.pdf

Good luck,
Bill
Now that much I can do in the campground. Thanks Bill. The outdoor fan spins very easy & quiet, so I am thinking possibly a bad start capicator causing an intermittent problem or maybe something in the circuit board.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

A high pressure switch should protect the compressor. If the fan spins freely, I would suspect either the run capacitor (which I think is located with the compressor start & run caps), or the PC relays.

Try it on elect heat and see if the fan is consistent or acts same way. If it works ok in heat mode, I would suspect t-stat.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Happened to mine last year, it was the PC board. Put a new board in and all works fine. Thanks to Dick's RV in Tavares, FL