Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2005, 01:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Picked up our new 40AD this summer and it is our 1st Motorhome. What have other people found about using the A/C system?
This summer in Utah, Nevada, Texas and other hot spots we found that the Coach Temperature would approach 90 deg. We had 50 amp service, changed the filter, Fan on High, and reflective material on the front window. The power management indicated that power was available to the #2 compressor. Is that all the cooling available?
Please respond I need some ideas from those folks more familiar with this system.
hogbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 01:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Picked up our new 40AD this summer and it is our 1st Motorhome. What have other people found about using the A/C system?
This summer in Utah, Nevada, Texas and other hot spots we found that the Coach Temperature would approach 90 deg. We had 50 amp service, changed the filter, Fan on High, and reflective material on the front window. The power management indicated that power was available to the #2 compressor. Is that all the cooling available?
Please respond I need some ideas from those folks more familiar with this system.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:24 PM   #3

It's hard to figure out when and where you are. Read your question and see what I mean, don't spare words.

You have to understand one thing about these coaches, "they are not verywell insulated". If I'm not mistaken, maybe an R 11 in the ceiling, R 5 or 6 in the side wall and and R 4 in the floor. These values would never meet any local housing codes. As it is, your HVACs have to work over time to keep up, but in most cases it will do what is necessary, but you have to know how to use them effectively.

Don't wait till it's already 95 degrees in the shade to turn on the air and the same for the heat, don't wait till the coach is 37 degrees inside to try to heat it up. Set the thermostat at the temperature you want and leave it there.

If your traveling and on the road, you'll have to use the generator to maintain your comfort zome, don't wait till you get there to set it.

Tomcat F15
Old 01-16-2005, 03:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have the same problems. I believe that WI failed to calculate the heat-load and size the A/C system properly. My battle to get them to fix it rages on... and on... and on....OY!

Here are a few hints:

As was said before, close up and get the A/C on early in the day, and get the interior all cool BEFORE it gets hot out.

Keep your awnings out to shade the coach as much as possible.

Try not to generate heat in the interior. (you know, keep the oven off, etc)

Make certain that both compressors are running, and that the filter are clean, and that the ceiling air vents are completely open. I have also read that a few people have experienced imporperly fitted air ducting, worth checking out.

Lastly, make sure you let WI know, by calling Customer Service at the factory. Get them to note it on your records so that if they finally admit there is a problem, and find a lasting solution, you can ask them to fix yours as well.

Hope this helps.

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We are on our second Basement Air system. We have experienced the same results when heat is extreme. We have experienced this both at sites and while on the road running the Generator.
We have had thermostats replaced and have always had enough power to run both cycles.
Best plan we have is to always seek shaded sites, and operate a couple of small fans to circulate the interior air.
I believe that a "home style" ac unit probably needs "home style" insulation. But till then shade, curtains, and fans seem to help.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:02 AM   #6
doc
Winnebago Owner

"Make certain that both compressors are running, and that the filter are clean, and that the ceiling air vents are completely open. I have also read that a few people have experienced imporperly fitted air ducting, worth checking out."

Great point. I have never considered that situation. I realize only one runs on 30 amp service, but if we are on 50 amps, how can I tell if both compressors are running?
We were in Las Vegas a couple or three years ago in August. (not a real smart move for sure) Covered the front wind shield and kept curtains down and awning extended. We tried to keep the coach cool and the A/C would run almost continuously. We were comfortable, but a bit on the warm side around noon till mid-afternoon. Then I realized with the outside temps around 110 degrees, the asphalt "RV park" at Circus Circus had to be very much higher.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:19 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We had the same problem on our Suncruiser 33V, so it's not limited to the larger coaches. As Tomcat stated, these coaches aren't insulated all that well. By following the tips he gave you it will help but sometimes you just can't keep up mid-afternoon. All air conditioning systems operate on a temperature differential. If you are parked on a 110 degree asphalt lot it's tough to cool the inside down unless you have a very good (efficient) air conditioning unit. Other secrets are to keep the condensor (the part you see behind the basement louvers) as cool as possible. Shady spots are better than in the hot sun and a bit of water from a sprinkler can make a difference also. If you cool the condensor by 10 degrees, you'll also lower the evaporator's output temperature by 10 degrees. Then all you have to deal with is the heat loss from within the coach.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone for your input all your suggestions gives me a better idea of how to deal with the temperature.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

We haven't had a chance to run ours in really hot weather yet, but I would recommend you also check the evaporator coil. I removed the false bottom under the bed (where the filters are installed) to check ours. It had a lot of construction debris (foam & carpet) lodged in there, and I vacuumed it out.

QUOTE I realize only one runs on 30 amp service, but if we are on 50 amps, how can I tell if both compressors are running? UNQUOTE

My manual says that 30AMPS will support both compressors. I haven't run the coach on 30AMPs yet, but on 50AMPs you can watch the Ampmeter and see it increase when the first one starts, and again increase when the second one starts. This should happen also on 30 Amps.

When I went thru HVAC school our instructor said that when the outside temp nears 90 you should switch your fan from Auto to On. This helps to keep the house from developing hot spots. Should work in a mobile house.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Mine will run both compressors on 30 amps. I'm setting here in the MH now as I type running the heat pump and both compressors are running. Not much else can be used however and the EMS will shut down the water heater when the A/C or heat pump is run on 30 amps. I even have to wait until it shuts down to start the coffee pot.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> check the evaporator coil. I removed the false bottom under the bed (where the filters are installed) to check ours. It had a lot of construction debris (foam & carpet) lodged in there, and I vacuumed it out <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

.I just removed the whole unit to have an out side blower motor replaced and found the same thing. (lots of foam and carpet)

]

2004 Adventurer 35U
Dick & Carol is offline   Reply With Quote