Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement Air....Increasing efficiency

Need some thoughts on placing something like a swamp cooler(not an actual unit) in front of the outside air intake of my basement air. I am thinking that the cool air from the swamp cooler blowing across the coils would help the cooling efficiency in the dry, hot temps in Arizona.

OR....what about a couple of patio misters placed in front of the air intake?

The unit(s) are cooling the RV ok, I am thinking of some ways that would cut down on the compressors run time.

1998 Jeep Cherokee
jgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

A couple of misters would work great at lowering the condensor coil temps. But unless you are using distilled or RO water, the scale buildup would be a problem, especially on the inside of the unit, I would think (have you seen the outside of a swamp cooler in your area that has been in use for awhile?)
Old 09-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
A couple of misters would work great at lowering the condensor coil temps. But unless you are using distilled or RO water, the scale buildup would be a problem, especially on the inside of the unit, I would think (have you seen the outside of a swamp cooler in your area that has been in use for awhile?)
I had planned on using a Aero Mist Inline Sediment Filter that filers sediment and calcium down to 5 microns. The mineral content of AZ water is a concern.

1998 Jeep Cherokee
Old 09-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The mister sounds like it could work to me. When we owned restaurants we would hose down the roof condensers on our units during very hot weather and it made a world of difference so I am thinking your idea could improve the cooling for the basement air. Please keep us udated on how it turns out. Looking forward to your outcome.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #5

Just install a roof air to supplement the basement air like many of us Winnie owners have done.
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntDriver View Post
Just install a roof air to supplement the basement air like many of us Winnie owners have done.
I think you miss read my OP. The unit(s) have no problem keeping the MH cool. I was wanting to make the unit more efficient. I know that in installing Air Conditioners for the stick and bricks, if the unit is on the north side of the house, run time is less because of the shade.

1998 Jeep Cherokee
Old 09-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #7

5 microns isn't small enough. Ro or distilled water like was discussed. Your wasting your time and money. Water cooled condenser is only solution.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #8

Ya.. misters with distilled water is best way. But, while your increasing the efficiency of the condenser coil, your not actually saving any cash (if thats a concern)...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Filters will not remove lime (hard water) if that is a problem in your area. Only a water softner will do that.
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have been in campgrounds that wouldn't like using extra water like that. I have a portable A/C that really takes a load off our basement air and keeps our coach a lot cooler. It vents out the small window by passenger front seat. I roll it in the bedroom when traveling, easy to move around and not in the way.
Billy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

It may be possible to build a small resevior around the inlet (hot) pipe going to the condensor. By keeping it full of cool water with a slow feed it would reduce condensor temp and increase efficency. Because the water does not evaporate, hardness should not be an issue. I don't know if the savings would be worth the effort.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntDriver View Post
I understand your goal is to increase the efficiency of the basement unit, reducing the load/runtime, but I believe the best option is as "MntDriver" suggested in his post -- adding a roof top A/C unit at one of your roof ceiling exhaust fan locations would reduce the load on the basement unit. We're discussing doing this upgrade to our Vectra.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

How about putting misters on the roof of your RV? I remember reading about a dog kennel that dropped their indoor temp 18 degrees by putting a lawn sprinkler on the roof. They didn't have A/C.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

On my brick house in South Carolina, my A/C condensor unit was right outside the garage, on a concrete patio. The inside unit was in a raised closet inside the garage. The evaporator drain line ran through the wall and drained onto the patio. After a few weeks of running, it made a slimy mess on the patio.

I bent a piece of 1/2" copper pipe to fit around the top of the coils on the condensor, then drilled small holes spaced about 3 - 4 inches apart, all around the copper pipe. I used a flexible hose to connect the evaporator drain line to the copper pipe, so the condensate dripped out of the small holes. This eliminated the mess on the patio, and improved the efficiency of the a/c unit -- it shut off more often, and seemed to cool better. I always had it in mind to get a piece of matting like the swamp coolers use, and put it around the condensor coils so the drip water would keep it wet, but I never got around to doing that. But the water dripping down across the coils helped.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote