Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement Air in 2003 Journey

Hi everyone,

I hope you guys can answer my question about my basement A/C. I've looked at some other posts, and I think I know the answer, but I want to be sure before I bring the MH in.

I had a problem with the A/C. The start relays and capacitors were fried and that fried the circuit board. I think it was low voltage at some point a few weeks back. Anyway, I got the A/C fixed and was running it on the genset yesterday. The power manager readout was showing 32 amps and the genset was running hard. Does that sound right? I think I read that it may be a capacitor problem. Does that sound right, too?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cajun
Old 06-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Mine pulls about 26 amps on the genset with both compressors running, if that is helpful.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

That does help a bit. If I remember correctly, mine pulled between 20 and 25 amps (can't remember exactly) before the repairs, too, but I don't remember the genset running that fast before. I'll probably bring it back in when I get a chance.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Cajun View Post
That does help a bit. If I remember correctly, mine pulled between 20 and 25 amps (can't remember exactly) before the repairs, too, but I don't remember the genset running that fast before. I'll probably bring it back in when I get a chance.
On my 02 Adventurer, the 20 amp breaker on the generator is dedicated to the #2 compressor so on generator power I only read 17 amps at the EMS panel even with both compressors engaged. I'm surprised that you're getting that reading and not shedding power. On shore power with just the A/C and TV on I'm readiing 28-29. I put the fridge on propane. Burned out to many circuit boards and stuff....
Old 06-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Anyway, I got the A/C fixed and was running it on the genset yesterday. The power manager readout was showing 32 amps and the genset was running hard. Does that sound right? I think I read that it may be a capacitor problem. Does that sound right, too?Cajun
Cajun, Are you certain EVERYTHING was off except for the basement A/C? With both compressors running and nothing else running like battery charger, water heater, etc. you should be reading about 25 amps.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Kix

Yes everything else was off. I had a feeling that it was pulling too much juice. I'll get it checked as soon as I can.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

cajun, do you know what the output voltage of the generator was at the time you saw 32 amps?
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
KIX
Winnebago Master

GACajun..........sounds like RJay may have a good idea here. If your genset voltage was low it would explain a couple of things. Low voltage would cause the appliance (A/C) to use more amps AND it would cause the genset to run at higher RPM trying to produce 120volts.
Check your genset out and let us know.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

My coach shows 22 or 23 amps when both compressors are running.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

After a start up draw of 28 to 29 amps my ac draws 25 to 26 amps. I would suspect the voltage output of your generator. Your numbers JDSR (just don't sound right).
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Are you guys talking about a 30 or 50 amp setup? As I said, my Adventurer (30 amp) sheds power over a 30 amp draw and shuts down compresser #2. On generator the highest read on the ems is 17 becasue the 2nd compressor gets direct draw from the 20 amp breaker on the generator.....
Old 07-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I have no idea what the voltage output of my generator is - yet. I'll have my RV guy check that too. Thanks for the suggestion!!
Old 07-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I have no idea what the voltage output of my generator is - yet.
Cajun, It's prudent to be able to know the voltage output of your genset. There are easy ways to be able to tell at a glance. RV Upgrades, et al, sell several different plug in meters that can stay plugged into a moho receptacle. There's the Kill-a-Watt, Good Governor and a plug in analog one too. it's very easy to read the voltage at the receptacle on any of these units. The cheap ones are probably around $20.
If you know how to use a VOM (volt-ohm meter) you could read it with the VOM too. You just would have to remember to get the VOM out to take a reading.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Kix,

Ya know, I do have one of those cheapy voltmeters that stays plugged in to a receptacle. I don't remember ever looking at it while the genset was running. I'll have to take a look next time I can get to the MH.

Thanks for the reminder.