Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement Air HELP!

I want to buy a 2002 Adventurer. The particular RV that I just had surveyed came back with some basement air issues. The RV mechanic (North Point RV in Ft. Meyers, Fl) said they cannot fix this type of issue with these AC units (it has a freon leak somewhere around one of the compressors). Does anyone have a suggestion? What's worse case on something like this? I am trying to decide to buy the RV or not and this looks like the only issue. Any sugesstions would be appreciated!
jdefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I would recommend the dealer make the repairs as a condition of purchase and that you don't put any money down until the repair is satisfactory. This is a expensive repair which is why I suspect he hasn't done it.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You have received good advice. Don't let any money change hands until the repair is done. Even then it might be a good idea to have a clause in the contract re the basement air if you should have any problem after the purchase. I see so many posts where the suggestion is to add refrigerant and NOT to find the leak first. What good is it to add refrigerant and then have it slowly leak out again?
Old 06-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

It mite be best to look at another unit.
Doug
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

If they can't fix that or get someone to fix it I would run away. What good are they going to be in the future for warrantee repairs.

Have you personally tested the air conditioning?
Old 06-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

BE Carefull:

If you have to pay out of pocket it could easily go for between $500 and or $5K to replace both units. If you have to.. walk away, unless you can get a guarntee on the fix. Or monies reduced from the buyer.

It is expensive to drop those units, ask me how I know..!!!

Regards Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the comments. Something I failed to say was that it is a private seller in Ft Meyers. North Point was just a shop I chose to inspect the RV for me. I live in the Tampa Bay area and spoke to a service rep at Harberson RV. He said they work on basement airs all the time. The concern he has is sometimes getting parts but was fairly confident that it could be fixed. But I look at all the posts here from owners with basement air problems and...well it makes me wonder.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

If it is a refrigerant leak then a residential HVAC/refrigeration technician could handle this. Ask the buyer to have this repaired under your supervision first.

Lots of information on the manufactures website.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I had a problem with the basement air in a 2003 Adventurer I bought this spring. I took it to the factory in Forest City. They changed the thermostat and cleaned the evaporator and fixed the duct in the end cap. It cost $570 to fix.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hi jdefant:

I just had my A/C units dropped. I am replacing the fan motor, capacitor, and arm for about $750 rvbucks.

From what I read, the bottom Winnie A/C units have been pretty reliable. By the way they are making the basement units again, so parts should not be a problem.

Private sale, then take it to that RV shop you have mentioned and have the seller spring to get it fixed.

If you love the coach, don't let this stop you. I thought you were haggling about this over a dealer purchase.

You are always going to have things that need fixing on any RV. Winnies track record, available parts for older coaches, and dealerships are about the best in my book.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Regards... Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Jdefent
Maybe THEY cant fix it but it indeed can be repaired.
I just went through the same scenario less than ayear ago. Freon leak on the #1 compressor side of the system. They key to getting one of these repairs done is going to a certified repair facility authorized by Colman. They have the knowledge, equipment to do the job and do it right.
They removed my AC unit, mabey 15 minutes and had it on the bench.
I came back 3 days later and they reinstalled it.
They found the leak, patched it. evacuated the unit several times and recharched it. Instralled a hard start kit, I think the price was around $800.00, maybe a little less.
It has never worked so good now.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:37 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Thumbs up

Airxcel | RV Products Service

Go here to a nearby repair shop, give them a call and talk to them.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I know another member here that just had both compressors replaced at Lazydays, don't know what it cost him though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #14

Can't you buy those roof top AC's new for about $500? I wouldn't put $800 in a repaired unit. ( But I was in the HVAC buisnsess so it's cheap for me)
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

jdefant stated that he had basement air.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I want to thank everyone for all the great input. From what everyone is telling me and from what I have learned from speaking to 4 or 5 RV service shops, I don't think I will let this AC issue hold up my purchase.

It is still unclear to me if the issue is with the freon leaking or if it is an air leak in the duct. If it is a gas leak, then I am confident that HVAC folks or even Harberson RV here in my area can fix for less than $1000. If the duct is open in an area that cannot be reached, then Harberson said worse case would be to remove the RV end cap to fix and it is still about $1000. In any event, the MH is priced well below NADA. It has been well maintained and the mechanical inspection did not uncover any other possible issues.

So I hope to see some of you in the future! I will be the guy sitting outside of the 2002 Adventurer having a GREAT time!

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #17

Don't do it. If they want to sell it, they will fix it.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Can't you buy those roof top AC's new for about $500? I wouldn't put $800 in a repaired unit. ( But I was in the HVAC buisnsess so it's cheap for me)
He's talking about a basement A/C.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Be careful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Don't do it. If they want to sell it, they will fix it.
I think this is the best idea, have them fix it and then take it to someone of your choice to verify that it is working and there are no leaks. We got ripped off on our first MH many years ago when we bought it from a private party. We soon learned why "sold as is" was in the contract. We had it checked by a supposed vehicle inspector for $200 before the purchase, but he apparently did NOT know what he was doing. Be very careful. If the seller says that you should accept it the way it is and knocks off a few hundred...WALK. You might be looking at thousands in repairs. Just because it is priced lower than NADA is not enough reason to buy it as is. If the air is not working properly, what else could be wrong? Be careful and I wish you the best. Joe
Old 06-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

jdefant,
Well Sir, when we were considering two different Itasca 36'GD coaches, one of which we purchased recently, I asked here about the track record of basement basement A/C units because the concept was all new to us. From the replies I received, it was a 90-95% for, and less than 5% against. Some have had problems and had them fixed and others complained about how "loud" they are when operating. Most were agreeable in the fact that the noise was very comparable to that of roof A/C units anyway.

As for letting it be a deal breaker on an otherwise coach that meets all your standards, expectations, parameters for purchase, condition, and overall quality, I'd most likely search out (like you have been) all options on getting the unit fixed. I'm one of those types that believe that just about anything man made that is broken, CAN BE FIXED! Yes, it might cost a few bucks but, WHAT DOESN'T ON A MOTOR HOME?? Some things we can fix ourselves and save a few bucks here and there, which is way cool in my book, and some things we have to leave to the trained experts who do it for a living.

And of course, some of those techs are better than others. So, bottom line, if you like the coach, do what ever kind of deal with the owner to satisfy the deal and have a dependable coach, with A/C. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote