Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Had my entire basement A/C replaced last fall with new R-410A unit. RVP no longer makes R-22 units, altho I understand they are making replacement parts. Call RVP Tech Spt (316-832-4357/3468) for info. The new units Require 50 Amps because of compressor draw, so if you have a 30A Adventurer, it's a no-go. In my case the entire unit was beyond economical repair. Cost was over $4000 with parts & labor.

The advice on this thread is valid.....be careful, get it in writing and get answers......before you pay. There are a lot of RV's out there today.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdefant View Post
I want to buy a 2002 Adventurer. The particular RV that I just had surveyed came back with some basement air issues. The RV mechanic (North Point RV in Ft. Meyers, Fl) said they cannot fix this type of issue with these AC units (it has a freon leak somewhere around one of the compressors). Does anyone have a suggestion? What's worse case on something like this? I am trying to decide to buy the RV or not and this looks like the only issue. Any sugesstions would be appreciated!
Well here's another perspective based on my experience. If you are a DIY person, then here's a possible low cost solution.

Last Nov my basement quit cooling because of a freon leak. I pulled the unit myself and had a mobile a/c guy do the repair right at my house. He fixed the leak, installed a schrader valve, and new freon.....total cost was $110. One compressor rubbed a hole in #2 compressor line. Your problem could be a leaky compressor and that will cost more to replace. The repair guy I chose works mainly on ThermoKing semi-trucks, but had everything needed for my rv repair.

Three yrs ago I had my 1st a/c problem and I documented the repair process in a step-by-step procedure with photos. Many forum members have used the procedure to successfully make the repairs and saved hundreds of $$'s. I suggest that you download the pdf from my website, the link is in my signature below. Take a look at it and I think it will take some of the mystery out of the basement aspect of these units.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 06-09-2011, 06:13 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Great advise. I used DUNER'S procedurs when I pulled mine for noisy fan motor. Got everything working correctly with a little work and a little oil.

Thank you Bill
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote