Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2010, 08:01 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

I'll have to go check Canfields write up and understan he likes anothre forum these days but I'm curious; how much is a roof a/c going to cost me assuming I might want one as a back up?
I'm very satisfied with my basement air but wish Winnie had made the two compressors etc truely independant so a single point failure would not take the whole thing out. That I believe is the real advantage of two roof units, (you at least have a partial backup).
Old 08-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #22
Jim
Winnebago Owner

hi..is this only a problem if the compressor(s) fail?..i.e. all the external electrical and controls can still be replaced..if so ,unless you are unlucky,i was told the compressors are expected to usually last longer than the rv..jim..
Old 08-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I bought a used 2002 Winnebago Journey 36DL in December 0f 05. Took it on several trip in the spring of "06" with no issues with the AC. It wasn't until late May of 06 when we went to Myrtle beach for 10 days that I discovered the A/C was not up to it's full output. It was about the third day there and I told my wife that we have a problem with the A/C as it was above 80 degrees in the coach with an ambient temp of around 90 degrees.

I pulled the cover off the A/C and found that the PO had someone bypass compressor #1, and I was only running on compressor #2. I called RVP and got a a price on the compressor, and since I bought the unit "As Is" I didn't think the dealer would assist me in any way.

I decided to cal him anyway, and as a goodwill gesture, he went 50% on the price of the compressor, so it cost me just under $200.00 for the compressor including shipping and tax.

I have a neighbor that does commercial HVAC work, and I pulled the unit out of the coach for him to work on. He installed the valves and evacuated the system and then installed the compressor. He the pulled vacuum and checked to make sure that there were no leaks. He then charged the unit, and it was ready to be re-installed.

When it was all said and done, I had right around $300.00 dollars in it, and it has worked great ever since.

The luxury I have is the Schrader valves are already installed in case another compressor goes out. Depending on the time-frame, if another compressor does fail, I may not be able to source another compressor, so I will go with (2) 15,000 BTU heat pumps on the ceiling.

This kind of makes me wonder if I should not go ahead and install a 15K unit on the roof in anticipation of another failure that way I am already 1/2 way there.

It won't be something I do this year, but I may put this in the plans for next year. Definitely something to think about now.

Dgold2
Dgold2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
I'll have to go check Canfields write up and understan he likes anothre forum these days but I'm curious; how much is a roof a/c going to cost me assuming I might want one as a back up?
I'm very satisfied with my basement air but wish Winnie had made the two compressors etc truely independant so a single point failure would not take the whole thing out. That I believe is the real advantage of two roof units, (you at least have a partial backup).
Was checking prices myself today and saw that PPL Motorhomes in TX had their roof top AC units on sale. The Coleman 15K BTU heat pump was $689 I believe. The low profile Coleman 13.5K BTU AC only was $658, and that is what John Canfield used on his Vectra. The interior trim kit is another $110.

Looking at my Journey today, I could add one in the vent just in front of the galley which is not in the middle of the living area but close enough.

For any of us who might consider doing this as a DIY project, the most difficult part will be how to get a 90+ lb AC up to the roof.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

edndebp

You might try "JAKESRVSALVAGE.COM". They buy rv parts directly from from the factory when an item is discontinued.
edndebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Guy View Post
This was from the RVP web site, maker of our basement units:

Refrigerant Changes Coming In 2010

Wednesday, Dec 16th, 2009
Refrigerant Changes Coming In 2010

Due to regulation changes by the E.P.A, Air conditioners can no longer be manufactured with R-22 as of January 1, 2010. The Coleman Mach air conditioners will be manufactured with R-410A as of January 2010. Replacement parts will still be available for the systems already manufactured with R-22 for a limited time.

It won't be long before we will not be able to get parts for our basement units. I believe the fact that these units are no longer made and unable to get parts for will really make our Winne units with basement air take a dive in resale value. Would you buy a Motorhome that the AC cannot be repaired and cannot get parts for? I found one new basement air unit for sale at a local Marine dealer but the model was a 6536 not a 6535. Don't know if it would work. It was listed at 27000 btu's where the 6535 is 24000 btu's. Cost: $1998.

The 6536 is an AC only, not a heat pump. Saw a new one at Colaw RV Parts & Salvage last week for $950.00. AC service folks are coming out tomorrow to put freon in my #1 compressor. Sure hope that is all it is and not a bad compressor............
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

As seen below the 6536 is heat and cool

(27,000 BTU dual compressor heat/cool - $1,995.00)

but a mute point. I e-mailed RVP products asking if it would fit and he said:

The 6536 will not work in place of a 6535. The physical dimensions are completely different, and the ducts hook up in different locations which means the ductwork would pretty much have to be re-fabricated.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

I'm one of those guys that doesn't worry about this stuff until it happens then I'll solve the problem one way or another... In these trying rv times, any rv appliance/mechanical provider can go under...Thankfully Winnebago is still in business..
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

I also have a basement air that isn't performing. In my case the cool air is only about 10 degrees cooler than the intake air. My service tech incidated that because this is a sealed unit they could not fix/recharge the system. In calling RVP they were told there are no units available but a "new" replacement unit would be available November 1. I guess I'll hold on and see what comes of the replacement.
lpasekof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #30
Winnie-Wise

I love my basement air. That was one reason we bought our coach. Without roof airs it fits in my garage and has a lower profile so it doesn't hit tree branches.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpasekof View Post
I also have a basement air that isn't performing. In my case the cool air is only about 10 degrees cooler than the intake air. My service tech incidated that because this is a sealed unit they could not fix/recharge the system. In calling RVP they were told there are no units available but a "new" replacement unit would be available November 1. I guess I'll hold on and see what comes of the replacement.
Before you give up on your basement AC, try and find a different tech. There are a number of reports of HVAC techs installing taps/valves in the lines so the system can be recharged. If you call RVP, they will give you names of their recommended service providers.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

I was looking for an evaporator unit for my basement air on Tuesday and I talked to the folks at Lichtsinn in Forest City. He indicated that Winnebago received 6 replacement units with the new freon last week. He said he had sold 3 of them and he did not know how many were left. He also said they could only be used on 50 amp coaches. Current draw issues??? Price was around $3,300. Maybe there is some help coming........
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Romad, thanks for posting this, looks like I will be availing use of one of these.

I called Lichtsinn and he said they have four of them in stock, but when I told him my coach was at my local Winne shop, he didn't want to sell me one. So I headed off to my local shop, I always get better results in person.

So, I had the parts guy call Winne while I was there. Got the same message that this new unit will only work with 50amp(still don't know why). There was some confusion, according to the Winne person he talked to, there are actually 4 of the OLD units still in stock, but they are "blocked" from sale, they are more of a "cya" legal supply in case something should arise, and they thought I was wanting one of those. So I am not sure of what the actual number in stock of these new units.

We have had gremlins ever since we got hit with a lightning surge a year ago. The a/c control board was replaced then, it is shot again, a big burn on a backside trace, also the #1 compressor appears shot now. And my inverter is dead. I trust this tech, he always takes me back and shows me all he has done, check wise.

I have no faith in this old a/c unit any more, so I am pulling the trigger. I only hope that if the new unit pulls more amps(hence the need for 50amp service), then maybe it will do a better job of cooling the coach.

I will let y'all know what happens.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #34
Winnebago Watcher

Greetings Thudman. I recently was able to get a new replacement unit through my Winnebago dealer. Give Lichstenn a call. They helped me locate the unit but because of the warranty, my local dealer had to order and install it. At the time of my purchase, Winny had eight units. It is the new model number which I don't have at my disposal.
Hoganism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Question i have for the ones thinking of installing roof top A/C is where the electric will come from. The power vents are only 12VDC and you need at least a 20 amp 120VAC power circuit. As it is almost impossible to run any lines thru walls/roof then could mean cutting into the structure.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Here is a blow by blow detail of one installation.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

A question I have about going to a roof mount is wiring. I would guess that the basement models don't have adequate wiring in the roof to handle one let alone two roof air units. May require some extensive 'fishing' of wire large enough to handle the amp load of the roof airs.
boomer49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:39 AM   #38
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer49 View Post
A question I have about going to a roof mount is wiring. I would guess that the basement models don't have adequate wiring in the roof to handle one let alone two roof air units. May require some extensive 'fishing' of wire large enough to handle the amp load of the roof airs.

Oops, didn't read far enough to see this has already been addressed.

Sorry.
boomer49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Stopped by my local Winnie dealer yesterday, and asked about replacement basement units. I was told the factory had four units being held for warranty replacement only. In other words, if you are out of warranty, you are out of luck at the Winnebago factory.

Their suggestion was replace basement units with a 13,500 btu heatpump in the rear and a 15,000 btu in the front.

2002 Itasca Horizon 32TD
Roadking52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #40
Winnebago Master

Thudman,

Any resolution to your dead #1 compressor ye?