Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #121
Winnebago Master

I haven't read all 119 posts on this topic, but RVP is back in the basement air business. Replacement units are available.

Sorry if this is a redundant post.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #122
Winnebago Camper

Just had both of mine replaced. Primary went and after they replaced that, the secondary went as they were testing the repair. Total cost for both with extended warranty $70.

Bob

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G Workhorse W22 8.1L, 2005 Grand Cherokee Toad
Bob/Becky D - VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #123
Winnebago Watcher

Itasca Suncruiser 38T Basement air cooling fix.

It took me awhile but I'll add this lesson.
It took forever to cool my Suncruiser in the sun, often 6-7 hours after a hot day on the road. The temp drop at the vents were fine. I have the basement air Coleman mach 2-ton unit (24000 BTU.)
I learned that it's a double compressor unit, a design the allows such a large AC to run on a 30 amp supply if needed. I watched the current meter on the management center and saw the amps drawn were only enough for one of the compressors, the second never came online. This was the clue.
Using "duner"s post, I was able to reveal the connection box on the rear quarter and check all the components of the AC unit. I could cheat and jumper the relays so both compressors would run. --They did. So now I knew the AC was functioning as is should, but not in normal use.
After checking the relays, I went back to the thermostat. Turning it on to cool GREATER than 4 degrees cooler than ambient, , I watched and LISTENED. First compressor, OK, current draw around 15 amps. One minute later, I hear a faint click, the sound of the delay relay closing to start the second compressor (so the current stays under 30 A. BUT the current did not go up, the compressor did not turn on. I tapped the board, and pressed on it a little-then it came on.
So-replaced the thermostat, all is now as it should be. I went with the factory model though a newer unit. that required a simple wire mod.

I was only getting half my AC cooling all this time. Fixed.

file:///C:/Users/King%20Martin/Desktop/Document%20vault/Basement%20A-C%20Removal%20Procedure-Revised%208-24-2013.pdf

Coleman Mach - Two Ton HE Combination Heater & Cooler | Airxcel

MARTIN
Florida.
Martin Hulme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:50 AM   #124
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the added info Martin. Any additional info on these units is helpful. We also replaced our thermostat not because the unit would not run but because it was at least 5° off. I also had to do the simple wiring mod to connect the new one. At that point we we looking to change out anything within reason to make the thing work correctly.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #125
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudman View Post
Abbreviated version: Nr 1 compressor died; wired around it so that #2 works. Called RVP Tech, spent about 1 1/2 hrs on phn (he was VERY patient) with an electrician on my end. RVP Tech agreed #1 compressor is shot (too many trouble-shooting details to go into here). It's 91* outside (Marion, NC) and 89* inside, Humidity about 95%. Lovely.

Again today (I'm @ Tom Johnson Cmpg Ctr) I called RVP to inquire about availability of entire new unit, rather than R&R #1 cmprsr, upgrade blower cage & R&R bearings to sealed. The RVP Tech said they stopped making the basement air units (Model 6535xxxx) Jan 2010, 'cause Winnie went to roof airs in 2011. NO basement units are available from RVP. And RVP compressors are on back order til August 20 (maybe). IMHO that rules out buying any Winnie w/basement air.

If anyone knows where/how to buy a new (even reconditioned) unit, pls advise soonest. It's HOT! The ice in my Martini melted in record time.

Thudman
"Ice in your Martini?!?!?!?" Damn it man, your A/C is the least of your worries!!!!
calvdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:08 PM   #126
Winnebago Camper

Is this still a problem?

Hi All,
I am considering buying a low mileage '03 Ultimate Freedom. Is replacing compressors or repairing the basement AC option still available? The topic dried up 5 years ago. I realize the coolant gasses have changed but can you still change out compressors, etc?
Thanks in advance,
Rick
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:12 PM   #127
Winnie-Wise

As far as I know, parts and complete units are still available.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:31 PM   #128
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudman View Post
Abbreviated version: Nr 1 compressor died; wired around it so that #2 works. Called RVP Tech, spent about 1 1/2 hrs on phn (he was VERY patient) with an electrician on my end. RVP Tech agreed #1 compressor is shot (too many trouble-shooting details to go into here). It's 91* outside (Marion, NC) and 89* inside, Humidity about 95%. Lovely.

Again today (I'm @ Tom Johnson Cmpg Ctr) I called RVP to inquire about availability of entire new unit, rather than R&R #1 cmprsr, upgrade blower cage & R&R bearings to sealed. The RVP Tech said they stopped making the basement air units (Model 6535xxxx) Jan 2010, 'cause Winnie went to roof airs in 2011. NO basement units are available from RVP. And RVP compressors are on back order til August 20 (maybe). IMHO that rules out buying any Winnie w/basement air.

If anyone knows where/how to buy a new (even reconditioned) unit, pls advise soonest. It's HOT! The ice in my Martini melted in record time.

Thudman
Basement unit replacement compressors
Contrary to what you were told; NEW basement units are available
EDIT: I just noticed, this website says "out of stock"; sorry for the false alarm.
I do suspect used units are available from RV surplus and salvage yards.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #129
Winnebago Camper

I just found out that Lazy Days RV here in central FL has all the parts
Quote:
Blowers, control boards and compressors are always on hand here
So there you have it, if you need to have your basement a/c worked on or get parts for it, there is a source.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote