Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I am using the type of air filter that came with the RV. It has metal holes for backing and blue fiberglass for the element...Lately there is a lot of black residue around the ceiling vents which I believe is because we leave some windows open a bit and it is pollen etc in the Florida air...we get the same thing with the windows open on the ceiling vents....
I see a lot of pleated filters in the stores with low micron specs, (1 to 3) Don't know if this is too much restriction...What type of filters are you using?....Thanks RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I am using the type of air filter that came with the RV. It has metal holes for backing and blue fiberglass for the element...Lately there is a lot of black residue around the ceiling vents which I believe is because we leave some windows open a bit and it is pollen etc in the Florida air...we get the same thing with the windows open on the ceiling vents....
I see a lot of pleated filters in the stores with low micron specs, (1 to 3) Don't know if this is too much restriction...What type of filters are you using?....Thanks RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I've used the cheap filters and I have used the high dollar 3M ones. I can't tell you that either filter has made a difference in our quality of life

As a matter of principal and believing the hyperbole of more $$$ equals better quality & a better standard of living & girls find you more attractive, etc., etc., I buy the high dollar filters.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You may already have checked this, but I remember reading some time ago about a problem with DP's doing this when the plenum from the basement air unit had problems with the seal and was allowing exhaust into the ductwork.

I use the washable filters, every several weeks I just wash it off, allow it to dry, and reinstall. WFM

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

For the past 3 years we've been using the permanent Washable Merv 8 filters we bought at Home Depot.

A while ago I mentioned it here, and there was a lot of concern about bacteria etc... Well that was 3 years ago and we're still here and working great!

Every 30 days I spray them with Lysol cleaner and hose them off. After they dry I spray them again with Lysol antibacterial spray.. They more then paid for themselves. The regular Merv 8 are around 7 to 8.00 per filter we have two!

As far as the black dust. We did have one in the rear bedroom first vent that had a little on it cleaned it a while ago and nothing so far... Could have been from the stock fiberglass filters.

We winter in Arizona where it can get a little dusty at times and NEVER had a problem with airflow heating or cooling...
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ed/Full-time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
ED;
Please give me more info on the type of filter you use, name, HD number....

Thanks

2006 Itasca Meridian 39K
Scratch & Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RKL:
I see a lot of pleated filters in the stores with low micron specs, (1 to 3) Don't know if this is too much restriction...What type of filters are you using?....Thanks RKL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is about what one would expect from the fiberglass filters. Take a flashlight and look at the coils behind the filter and see how much dirt has gotten through.

It is probably time to have the coils cleaned and go to a better filter.

The law of the price tag states that sooner or later you are going to have to pay it.

Buy cheap filters up front then pay more in maintenance and cleaning of the system and vents later on down the road.

I buy the disposable pleated filters. I costs about $1.50 to replace them and it only takes a moment to do it as opposed to the ones you have to clean and put back using some dollars worth of water, electricity, gas, cleaner and disinfectant not to mention all the personal time.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We have been using the 3m Filtrete ones, which are a bit pricey. Tried a couple of the cheaper ones, and really wasn't as happy. It might be a figment of my imagination, or a figment of my wallet, but I do feel the more expensive filters come out at the end of the month much dirtier.

Having an animal in a camper makes a HUGE difference. Before the cat, there was MUCH less mess. The amount of cat hair was amazing, which is why we change them every month.

As far as washables, I don't trust them... From bacteria, to me having to clean it, to letting too much through and getting my coil dirtier than it is already... To me it just isn't worth it, I'd rather spend the extra few dollars and have the piece of mind, even if it might just be media hype, I sleep better.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Scratch & Goose,
They are one size and you need to cut for the length and width...
On the filter it has TAMANO Made by WEB Products, inc 1-800-875-3212? number is Kind of scratched..
We did buy at Home Depot, but I think we saw them at Loews??
Same cleaner and spray we use for the bathroom, etc.. Takes about 30 minutes and they are Merv 8.
NDYCWISB? If Y want send a PM...
Old 11-04-2007, 01:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Here in Florida most people won't want to shut down their AC for half an hour or so to clean a filter except for during a few of the cooler months in the winter. If you have pets or allergies you really should be doing this monthly so that could be a problem.

Lets do the math. With the pleated paper, 12 X $1.50 is $18 a year if you are using your coach all the time. It only takes a minute maybe two to change them. If you factor in the time, 24 minutes at $10 an hour, being generous and rounding it up to $5 even, and the total is $23 per year while just the time to deal with a washable filer on a monthly basis would be worth $60 a year not counting soap, water and utilities or amortizing the cost of the permanent filter over its lifespan. The washable comes out as a loser costing about three times as much to use.

We have not factored in the cost of the AC running extra time to make up the temperature rise that during the 30 minutes spent cleaning the permanent filter (note that drying time was not accounted for) and the extra wear and tear on the system or the discomfort of other family members sitting in a hot coach while this is all going on.

Just something to think about.

How valuable is your personal time? Will you be inclined to rush things and put it back wet because of the discomfort etc?
Old 11-04-2007, 05:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I use the disposable 3M Filtrete Ultra Allergen, and they work well.

It is a stock item at Lowe's
Mike in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:03 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I don't think the 1.50 filters are Merv rated. If I'm not mistaken they are one step above the brick stopping stock ones.
The Filtrete filters restrict air flow to the coils. When replacing you can see the concave bend caused by air starvation, Not good.
The disposable ones fill up our landfills in the name of convience.
We have two (2) filters 14x20x1 I can clean them both at the same time, saving time to have more time!
Like some others here I'm retired, therefore I get paid to clean and change my filters.
God Bless America!

You really don't have to shutdown the system to change, clean the filters. You should however check the coils/fins on a regular basis or again you could restrict air flow.
The water is free the cleaners are the same ones we use to keep our Coach clean, no added cost.

The longer you use a filter the more air restriction. If you start out with lets say Merv 12 depending on dust, dirt etc. it could be pretty clogged by the time you replace them restricting air flow. which would waist more power and add more wear and tear on the equipment.
It would be great if someone had an airflow meter and did a study on this subject using different filters, the result could be eye opening!

www.WEBProducts.com

This permanent filter provides benefits for cleaner, filtered air. The WEB Plus Permanent Electrostatic Filter is easy to clean; simply rinse entire filter once a month then reinstall in system. No replacement parts needed for this sturdy, dual grill frame filter.

Comes with a Lifetime Warranty.
Traps up to 91% of pollen, dust, and dander-sized particles from .3 to 10 microns.
Simply rinse and reuse.
No replacement pad is needed.
The WEB Plus Permanent Electrostatic Filters have a MERV 8 rating. Click to find out about the MERV rating system.
Sizes from 11" x 12" up to 24 7/8" x 29 7/8".
Keep the air your family breathes cleaner with the WEB Plus Permanent Electrostatic Filter.

WEB Plus Permanent Electrostatic Filters are also available in small and large standard sizes and in extra large custom sizes.
WEB Plus Permanent Electrostatic Filter
WEB Plus Permanent Electrostatic Filter, Large
WEB Plus Permanent Electrostatic Filter, Large Custom
WEB Plus Permanent Electrostatic Filter, Extra Large Custom

CAUTION: Most air filters are stamped with a size that is NOT the actual dimension of the filter. Example: A 16x25 filter typically measures 15 5/8 x 24 5/8. Please MEASURE your current air filter in order to get the exact dimensions.