Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Should the basement air be dripping water when it is heating? Seems to drip like the A/C was on. Vet Man
Vet Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Should the basement air be dripping water when it is heating? Seems to drip like the A/C was on. Vet Man
Old 01-19-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yes. Heat pumps will freeze moisture in the air and defrost. I have heat pump in home and I have seen it frozen over with frost. I have an ADV, 04 with the heat pump.

N4fap
Old 01-19-2005, 03:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes, a heatpump will exhaust lots of cold air and condense moisture if there's any humidity available.

Went we got our heatpump pool heater, I thought it was leaking pool water because it was dripping so much. Company that installed it said almost everyone calls to report a leak
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:45 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Not a problem. My 2003 Suncruiser 33V would frost and drip al the time. When you are using the heat pumps to heat the coach the outside condensor gets cool and can frost. Then, as it cycles and the pressure bleeds off the hot refrigerant mixes with the cool stuff and thaws the condensor out (unless it's real cold - in which case you should be using the furnace, not the heat pumps). The frost then drips on the ground as condensation. It's just part of the cycle and normal.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all for the info, and quick response. Down here in Fla for the winter and have to run the heat. Could be worse it is snowing at home. Vet Man
Old 01-20-2005, 05:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I use my heat pump down to 35 degrees although it says in the book it only works down to 40. Anything below 35 and it will still work but the condensers will ice up if it's on for very long.

A little ice on the condensers is normal. What you see dripping is that ice melting. Same thing happens in car A/C's.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Periodically check the drain hose on the basement air. The drain hose protudes a couple inches from the bottom of the AC unit and is about 1/2 in diameter and is manufactured to "self seal" yet still allow water to drain. The very end of the hose colapses flat and seals the end of the hose. I assume this is done to keep bugs or trash from getting up the hose. Over time the seal works really good and becomes a plug and eventually the base of AC unit collects a whole bunch of water, which can not be good.

At one time I was under the rig and accidently bumped the drain which caused it expunge about 5 gallons of water... a lot of if on top of me!

Clearing the drain just required squeezing the bottom of the hose.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Yea i had the same problem when i turned on A/C i could hear a funny noise sounded like something hitting the fan, ended up being the bottom of the Unit had filled with water and was actually picking up water and splashing it around, Fix was go under A/C unit and about a two in rubber plug (drain) with few slots cut in it to release the water just push a rod or something up there clean it out once in a while i got a couple gallons out of mine
kscouple52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:36 AM   #10
Jim
Winnebago Owner

hi..when i run the a/c i get the drip from the drain plug as described and also experienced the water backup when the plug got blocked..what i noticed presently, using the heatpump in the 35-55 degree range, is water dripping from the bottom of the unit through cracks where the outer sheet metal panels screw together..like dripping from the fan area..i removed the plug and that area is completely dry...any problem here?..thanks.jim..
Old 01-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I have the same situation. I'll be interested in people's answers about a clean drain plug but water dripping from around the edges of the sheet metal pan.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I have a question along the same lines. If you run the heat pump below 35 degrees mine turns over to gas automatically. Does this hurt the heat pump or the furnace. I am assuming it switches over when the heat pump freezes over. Is this assumption correct?
Thanks in advance
Old 01-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The system automatically defaults to LP furnace in near-freezing weather, because the HP can't meet the "expectation" of pulling heat from too-low outside temps. This is supposed to happen around 35-39 degrees, and nothing should get hurt. The owner's manual explains this stuff, but rather poorly. As to all the dripping, I have not experienced this, and I'll be interested in what others have to say
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
The same thing happens to my heat pump. I assume it's condensation, just like when the AC is running.