Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement Air compressors

Does anyone out there have a good method of determining whether both compressors are running on the basement air when plugged into a 50A service? I know you can see the amp draw when the generator is running but how about when you are plugged into shore power? I have checked this with an induction ampmeter but you have to take the cover off the circuit breaker panel. Not a very wise place to play.
agiledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

You should have separate breakers for #1 and #2 compressors. While you are standing outside at the A/C have someone sut off the #2 breaker when it should be running. You sould be able to hear it shut down.
It should be running whenthe set pint is about 5* less than the room temp adn the unit has been on for at least 2 minutes.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I don't know if this is correct or not but when I'm on 30 amp the amp meter shows the draw.

Could you select the 30 amp position and tell by the amp draw if two compressors are running?

I'm sure if this is not correct someone will jump in here and explain.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The ammeter in the OnePlace center is not active when plugged into 50 amp power, but there are a couple ways to tell if both compressors are running. The first is to set the thermostat at least 5* below the ambient temp shown on the thermostat. Then slide the switch to the cooling position. After a few second lag you should hear a click from the thermostat follwed by the sound of compressor #1 starting. About 30 seconds later you should hear a second click from the thermostat followed by the sound of the second compressor starting.

The second method also requires the thermost be set as in the first example. After the system has run a couple minutes you can go outside and open the panel that covers the AC system. There's usually a couple screws at the front and the rear of the panel that need to be removed. The panel is hinged at the top so once the screws are out it can be raised. With the panel raised you should see a metal cover at the at the rear of the exposed AC box. Behind the cover are the motor condensors and a series of LED's. When the compressors are running the appropriate LED will be lit. You'll need to look at owners manual for your model unit to determine which LED corresponds to which compressor.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I installed a green LED light on the Thermostat to indicate when the 2nd stage is called upon. I bought an LED from radio shack that could be connected to 12VDC. A 1/4 in. dia. hole was drilled in the thermostat cover and the LED was mounted in this hole. Examining the AC wiring diagram/schematic indicated the yellow wire in the thermostat supplies 12volts to the AC cooling unit when the second stage cooling is required. The positive lead of the LED was soldered to the yellow wire and the negative lead was soldered to the 12 volt ground. Now I can easily tell when the thermostat is calling for the second stage.

On my unit when the 2nd stage is called for I glance at a themometer I have installed in a cooling duct an the supply air is typically approximately 40 degrees. WHen only the first stage is operating the supply air is approximately 52 degrees. These are the temps after the AC unit has been running at least 10 minutes and they will vary a little depending on internal ambient temperature.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Another way is to start your generator. Make sure you turn off elec. water heater, fridge, etc to reduce possible amp draw while checking. turn off A/C (best way is to put the temp up so it will stop on it's own) wait a few minutes then turn A/C on (put temp at least 5 degrees below current inside temp). You should see a spike then settle down in a few minutes you should see an increase in amps. If not then the second a/c did not kick in. I removed the thermostat and used an electrical spray on the contacts and it took care of my problem.
DNLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
I don't know if this is correct or not but when I'm on 30 amp the amp meter shows the draw.

Could you select the 30 amp position and tell by the amp draw if two compressors are running?

I'm sure if this is not correct someone will jump in here and explain.

Ron
Yes on 30 amps you can tell when #2 kicks in. #1 takes about 16 amps #2 will take it to about 26 when it kicks in then settle back to approx 23-24 running amps. Some times on Hot Humid days I would see amp creep up to as much as 29 amps, which would cause shedding of other loads.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote