Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2016, 07:40 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Well, I worked on it in my spare time today. All's good so far. I removed the Phillips head screws around the ductwork and got the unit lowered to where it will slide out (I hope) Haven't run into any REAL problems as yet.
I still have to build something up for it to slide out onto, but I'll worry about that tomorrow. Glad I'm not in a rush to get this done...
Steve
Old 09-07-2016, 10:11 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

You don't need to build anything. I used two 5 gallon buckets and a 2x6 to set the unit on. There's enough wiring to leave it fully plugged in and get around it

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
throbbin367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:05 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

One more question: On the blower motors, there were two fiber washers on the motor shaft, one on each side of the pillow bearing. They just sit on the shaft with no way to keep them in one fixed position on the shaft. Does anyone know what purpose these serve?
Old 09-08-2016, 05:45 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

OK...I've got the unit out and the blower removed. Anyone know how to remove the motor shaft from the squirrel cage? There's a small bearing? on the end of the shaft that has to come off before the squirrel cage comes off. This is quite a project...but interesting.
Steve
Old 09-08-2016, 07:16 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Ramzfan, remove those two large phillips screws holding down the bearing clamp on the shaft end,then remove the screws that hold the round air deflectors on the blower housing, after removing the nuts, washers, and rubber bushings from the motor mounting frame, the motor will pull out of the housing. The squirrel cage has a square head bolt on the end which must be loosened to slide the cage off. If it doesn't come off easily, like mine didn't, take some emory cloth or very fine sandpaper and clean the shaft off really good and spray some WD40 or Blaster onto the shaft and it will slide off. (The shaft accumulates a fine layer of dirt and corrosion on it that makes the cage hard to get off sometimes).
Old 09-09-2016, 07:38 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Another question...should I automatically change the capacitors? Where are they located? Do I have to watch for them holding a charge? I have ordered the new bearing and the squirrel cage. They should be here next week.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:14 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

My outside motor start capacitor was bad which led to my problem in the first place, so as long as I had the unit out and apart, I replaced all 6 capacitors, they are inexpensive. I took them with me to parts houses to make sure they got the right #'s off of them.

I was told to use a screwdriver and touch the two terminal sides of each capacitor before removing the wires and installing the new ones to take the charge out of them. I did not do that, I was just careful to pull the wires with insulated pliers.

The inside blower motor has a start capacitor also. You can reach that motor by removing the sheet metal end of the unit.

My plastic squirrel cage will be here Monday so I can get this back together and get it installed. I'm tired of looking at it sitting outside and still hooked up to the power.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:20 AM   #28
Winnie-Wise

So, ramzfan, with all this valuable information, how is your project coming to date? Just curious.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:42 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Hi Barry,
Well, I have received my new squirrel cage and the new bearing assy. I am wondering where you found six (6) capacitors? I see maybe five at the most. Did you just go to an electrical wholesale house to buy them? Do you think I should replace the motor also? I've been gone for a couple of days and just got home. Plan to work on it more this week.
Steve
Old 09-14-2016, 08:49 PM   #30
Winnie-Wise

Ramzfan, four of the capacitors are up in the circuit board compartment, there is one more each on each blower motor, total 6. I found them at either an a/c wholesale place locally or an applicance parts house, they are common items.

There are two that sit in the circuit board compartment that have two black "motor starters" attached to the top of the capacitors. The labeling on them is WCX-5ACM. I couldn't find them anywhere on line, I could find a WCX-7ACM but don't know the difference. But, makariosrv.com, in IN, has them in stock, but they come with the accompanying capacitor also for $19 and change each. I'm going to order two just for sh---s and grins. If you want, PM me and give me an email address and I'll forward the info I got from them. They were very helpful. I bought the new motor and plastic blower wheel from them.

On the motor, I replaced the outside blower BEFORE it started to go bad. That motor gets all the dirt and crap in the bearings and it begins to rattle after a while. Ours did that when we bought it in 2010 and I had it replaced, so I figured the original one lasted 6 years, and this one is at the 6 year mark, so as long as it was out, I just replaced it to prevent a failure somewhere in the boonies where I am at the mercy of a repair shop. Hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:48 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post

There are two that sit in the circuit board compartment that have two black "motor starters" attached to the top of the capacitors. The labeling on them is WCX-5ACM. I couldn't find them anywhere on line, I could find a WCX-7ACM but don't know the difference. But, makariosrv.com, in IN, has them in stock, but they come with the accompanying capacitor also for $19 and change each. I'm going to order two just for sh---s and grins. If you want, PM me and give me an email address and I'll forward the info I got from them. They were very helpful. I bought the new motor and plastic blower wheel from them.
If the capacitors are anything like a household a/c unit the 5 or 7 refers to the capacitance in mfd, micro farads.

I am waiting for delivery from Amazon for a dual run 50/5 capacitor for our home a/c. Al that means is the 50 is to start the condenser, the 5 the fan. $12 for the great big dual run so $19 doesn't sound like a bargain for a little single.

Maybe someone more familiar with HVAC or electronics can steer you towards a common capacitor that will work. $6 is more like it for a single 5mfd start cap.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:31 AM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Doorguy, Are you telling me that there is more than one motor? You refer to the outside blower...it sounds like you replaced the motor and all six capacitors...correct? All I've done so far is to clean up the motor and add oil to it. Where is the other motor located, if there is one?
By the way, I'd love to see any info that you have about parts, etc. my email is [email protected]. Thanks.
Steve
Old 09-15-2016, 10:40 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Coleman does make a newer unit to replace the older model. All demensions are the same and the unit will slide into the compartment. All electrical connection points are the same as is the supply air duct connection. The unit has updated controls which are basically the same as the originals.Due to the EPA the new refrigerant is 410A, or Carrier's name Puron, not the old R-22
The new Model Number is 46515-811, search for the new units, as the prices range from $2700 to $3500
I have a new unit installed in the signature coach and very happy with it.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:26 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

do you know how to find the control transtormer for the air and furnas i have a2000 winne adventure [email protected]
lee902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:15 PM   #35
Winnie-Wise

lee902, not sure what you mean by the "control transformer". The ac and the furnace are two separate systems. My good friend has a 2000 Adventurer and we had an 01 Adventurer. Even with ours now, all three have the same heating, cooling systems. Can you describe what your issue is?
Old 09-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #36
Winnebago Camper

it was just a fuse
lee902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:29 PM   #37
Winnie-Wise

I just ordered a new thermostat. Ours is very touchy on the cool setting, you have to push it just right. Had this issue on another W. I've cleaned the contacts best I could.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:28 PM   #38
Winnie-Wise

Just a quick update...I finally got back to working on the A/C today. Too many honey-do's around the house lately. (Install a new countertop, install a new electric stovetop, the old one was gas, etc.) Anyhow, I got the new squirrel cage installed on the motor and after searching the entire yard, I was able to come up with all the components of my new sealed bearing and it's brackets that my puppy had ripped out of the box and had been playing with. (Thank god he didn't swallow anything) I will put the old squirrel cage housing back in tomorrow and then go to work on the other squirrel cage that Doorguy told me about.
Steve
Old 09-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #39
Winnie-Wise

I was impressed that the new plastic squirrel cage is about half the exterior noise as the metal one.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
I was impressed that the new plastic squirrel cage is about half the exterior noise as the metal one.
After replacing ours we sometimes sat outside and thought maybe the A/C had quit since we could not hear the fan.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote