Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement Air

Looking at a Journey with basement air. Just wonder about the noise factor whilst (trying) to sleep. I guess I could get used to a constant noise but what about the compressor cutting in/out?

And while I'm at it, how does the placement affect access for engine work?

Thanks.....
Old 08-16-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Its not a factor to my wife and I, no different than having an air running overhead. I think where the basement air shines is up front watching tv etc. It is sooo much better. The heat pumps in them really do work great down to 40 deg. or so.
No affect on engine work., lube and oils, more than that its in the shops probably.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
We have our second coach with basement air. We leave the fan on all the time when we sleep to mask outside noise. The compressors kicking on and off are not that noticeable to us. If you plan to travel where it's hot, make sure it cools sufficiently.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: I love the basement air when thn't hae temperature is less than about 90 deg. It just doesn't have enough capacity for Los Vegas or St. George in the summer (often above 110deg.) The heat pump works just fine down to about 40 deg.

I think dual overhead A/C would be better when it is really hot.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I was told by several people before we bought our first basement air mh that it was very loud but It doesnt bother us at all
Old 08-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We've also been satisfied with the basement air in most every situation except one time when it was very hot outside and no shade. It was certainly at the end of its capability.

We also run the fan continuously in the cooling mode so the cycling of the compressors is less noticeable. IMO, either the heat pump or the gas furnance are noisy. The heat pump does work very well down to the high 30's.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

So, have any Texans done anything about the inability to keep up with the heat? I am seriously thinking of adding another air conditioner,
Old 08-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Ours is delightful and way, wayquieter than the rooftops we previously struggled with.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

We love our basement air -- like others, when in the cooling season we normally run the fans in the constant "on" position while sleeping and never notice the compressors going on/off. As for providing sufficient cooling, we have been in temps to 110 in Texas and Arixzona and have had no complaints about having sufficient cooling. We normally have the window awnings out on the driver's side, and when possible, we put the patio awning out if that side is exposed to the afternoon sun. When we have a choice, we park with the rear of the coach to the afternoon sun. The only time we had a noticeable cooling problem, we found the #2 compressor was not kicking in due to a burned start capacitor.

If your unit is not providing sufficient cooling and you can confirm from amp draw and/or hearing that both compressors are running, you need to check the duct that comes out the rear of the unit and goes up the inside of the rear cap. I check mine periodically by lying on the ground and reaching a hand & arm up behind the duct. A year or so ago, I had to re-tape our duct where the "L" turns upward at the bottom of the rear cap. Many owners have had problems with a separated duct behind the rear cap -- if you can touch the rear cap on the passenger side on a hot day and feel an area that is cooler than the rest, you have a duct leak. Some have been able to re-seal the duct from the bottom, while others have had to have the rear cap removed to re-seal the duct.

As others have said, no affect at all on access for engine work.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhouse View Post
Ours is delightful and way, wayquieter than the rooftops we previously struggled with.
I agree, we had two roof top air conditioners previously and the basement air is alot better! It cools better and is alot quieter.
Dave
Indian Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg121 View Post
Looking at a Journey with basement air. Just wonder about the noise factor whilst (trying) to sleep. I guess I could get used to a constant noise but what about the compressor cutting in/out?

And while I'm at it, how does the placement affect access for engine work?

Thanks.....
in addition to what others have said (favorable), i turn off the #2 compressor at the circuit breaker panel when we are sleeping at night to lessen the noise. we also run the fan on low speed continuously at night when using the a/c.
we use a filtrete 600 electrostatic filter which i think helps also. wally world sells this 14" x 20" filter for <$5.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:34 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We too love the basement air. This is especially true if it is noisey outside. We are in Berlin, OH for a few days and I discovered this morning that a cement plant is nearby and the trucks have that backup beeper. It was anoying at 6:36 AM, just as I was getting PO'ed about it the basement air came on and the beepers went away and I went right back to sleep.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:45 PM   #13
TJM
Winnebago Camper

I am a very light sleeper and do not even notice the compressor starting and stopping. We have been in some noisy campgrounds. The basement air really helps drown out the exterior noises.
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Ditto with the rest. As long as the AC is in "optimal" working condition all you hear is the humm of the fan.

I'm lucky cause I have a small 33ft. MH. Even in 100+ it keeps the inside in the 70s.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I wish my was a little louder so it would drown out my wife's snoring.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Here's another symptom. When driving, the temperature at the thermostat was 92 with the setting at 76 and the fan on high. I stuck a duct thermometer in the duct over the galley. It was 70. I think it is either sucking outside air or leaking on the pressure side.

I will be crawling under there soon.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Like others I like the basement air. In 2011 (I think) Winnebago is doing away with the basement air as to make room for a diesel fuel emissions tank that is going to be required. This tank is 10 + gallons and is designed to go into that area.

More $$$ for the coach and no more basement air...
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I stuck a duct thermometer in the duct over the galley. It was 70.
mrschwarz -- If both compressors are running, most likely problem is a leaky duct somewhere at the rear of the coach -- hopefully low enough that you can get it resealed w/o extreme measures.