Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2007, 06:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I just bought this motor home back in December. The previous owner had not used it regularly for for over a year. Now that it is beginning to warm up outside, I would like to have someone check the coolant in the air conditioner. Is this something that any heating and air company can do, or does it need to go to a dealer?

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I just bought this motor home back in December. The previous owner had not used it regularly for for over a year. Now that it is beginning to warm up outside, I would like to have someone check the coolant in the air conditioner. Is this something that any heating and air company can do, or does it need to go to a dealer?

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 04-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't! Unless the A/C Air is blowing warm air or not working at all. I think to check the charge the unit has to be dropped out for service... You might just be asking for more then you bargained for. There are many, many threads on this site to check before you take any action.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

While I am certainly not an HVAC mechanic, I have those folks nearby at work for advice and consultations. There is a way to put guages on the unit and check the charge but I believe the entire unit must be removed to do so. I was told to do the following to check the AC performance:

On a warm day, operate the AC (set it to a comfortable setting...e.g. 74 or so). Using a reliable thermometer, measure the temp of the air entering the return (just in front of filter opening) and then measure the temp of one of the outlets. If you have at least a 20 degree difference, the AC is operating to spec.

Also, you may want to check the duct that comes out of the AC and goes up between the bedroom rear wall and the rear cap. There have been reports of these ducts becomming partially disconnected or otherwise leaking air. If you remove the metal panel in the upper right side just inside your rear engine access door, you can gain access to much of that duct. Mine was leaking cold air and I needed to add foil duct tape to seal it.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Do not mess with it unless it is not working. Unit will have to be dropped. Also yes any home heating and AC service can work on it if they want.

Had mine worked on at an RV service shop. They ended up calling in a home service to do the work after they took it out.

Also you can go to RVcomfort and download your wireing diagrams for your unit if you do not have them.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Like Gary, I'm no HVAC professional, but I do have some trial and error experience with AC systems over the last 30 years.

Unless your unit has a refrigerant leak, it won't need recharging (or checking.) Fire up the AC while on gen set or plugged into 50 amps, set the blower to high and turn down the thermostat greater than five degrees to force the second compressor to run.

You should have air coming out your ducts that is about 20 degrees cooler than the outside temperature.

One of the disadvantages of basement air is the unit must be pulled from the coach for any kind of service (as far as I know), so I would try it out (don't forget to exercise the heat mode as well) and if it works, all is well!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the advice. I guess sometimes routine maintenance can get you into trouble. I will leave it alone!

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 04-23-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Yes you do have to pull the unit to check the charge. Actually the unit is sealed and the tech has to add fittings to the unit.

I had to replace a compressor last summer, and I didn't have any trouble dropping the unit for my neighbor who is an HVAC contractor. He did the evacuation, compressor install, new fittings, and a recharge in 90 minutes. I removed the unit and left it wired up to make it easier for me and him.

I also had the silver foil tape pull loose in the rear ductwork, and after repairing the ductwork, and the #1 compressor replacemant, I am very satisfied with the basemant air.

If it is working as described above, I would leave it alone. The only PM that I would recommend, is to pull the hinged cover up, and make sure that the fins are clean.

Happy trails!
Dgold2
Dgold2 is offline   Reply With Quote