Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-01-2016, 08:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement Air

I repeatedly see threads about basement AC. Assuming basements are the storage compartments under the RV, why would you need AC in those area?
Mike In NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike In NY View Post
I repeatedly see threads about basement AC. Assuming basements are the storage compartments under the RV, why would you need AC in those area?
Hi Mike, Winnebago, installs their AC units in the basement on all the older models, and newer......some of the newer Coach's have roof units I think.....
Old 09-01-2016, 10:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Basement is the location of the AC unit, not what it cools. Rooftop AC's don't cool the rooftop either.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We have the basement air in our Journey. It does have some advantages and disadvantages. It works like a home A/C. The cold air is ducted throughout the unit and flows out of vents in the ceiling. In addition the unit acts as a heat pump which then is ducted to flow through floor vents. The unit also has a gas furnace that is used when temps get too cold for the heat pump.

Some like them, some do not. Ours works quite well. We have had a MH that had two roof airs and they were pretty noisy. The Basement air is only loud in the bedroom and that works as white noise for me. I like it as it drowns out traffic noise, ect. I sleep well.

Winnebago quit using them when the vendor quit making them. As far as servicing them they just lower out of the basement and can be serviced just like your A/C at home.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Winnebago quit using them when the vendor quit making them.
Not the case. That was the rumor, but Airxcel/Coleman still makes the units. I just recently bought a new one and replaced mine.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:21 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I thought the reason Winnebago went away from the basement air was the need to use the space for the DEF systems on the newer diesel engines.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:01 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The heat pump/air conditioner vents through the ceiling vents. The gas furnace uses the floor vents.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:02 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
I thought the reason Winnebago went away from the basement air was the need to use the space for the DEF systems on the newer diesel engines.
You hit the nail on the head. Due to having to add a DEF tank they needed the space in the rear so they went with roof top AC's. The advantage is you gain some storage space but add more crap to the roof so less space for Solar panels. I still would rather have a Basement AC system just because they seem to work a lot better and you only need one not 2 or 3 of them.