Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement air #2 compressor won't start

Hello all, this is my first time (I think) posting a question. I have a 32' 2002 adventurer. When I run my basement air conditioning on shore power both compressors start and run normally as they should. When I run the air on generator compressor #1 runs but compressor #2 does not start. This I verified with a voltmeter. When compressor #2 is timed to start all I hear is a click. Has anyone had this problem before?
vacuumbulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
KJD
Winnebago Camper

Check to see if one of the breakers on the generator has tripped.
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you KJD, I can't believe I over looked checking the basics. DUH! I sure feel dumb... The 20 amp breaker was tripped.........
Maybe you can tell me why the ampmeter on the power control center will read 24 / 27 amps with the air running on shore power but only 10 / 12 amps running the generator.

Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuumbulb View Post
Maybe you can tell me why the ampmeter on the power control center will read 24 / 27 amps with the air running on shore power but only 10 / 12 amps running the generator.
Sounds like #2 compressor is not running on gen. Check both hot cables from the gen through the transfer switch. One should be black and the other should be red. First place to check is both A/C breakers inside the panel to see that both are actually getting 120v when on gen. It may be that you're losing one 120v leg.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I just read on a recent thread that the #2 compressor {second stage} won't run on the generator. It's probably a model/generator specific issue because our generator will run both and I will see the amps go up on our generator monitor. You may want to do a search for #2 compressor issues.

Good luck and let us know what you find!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

vacuumbulb, The load center reads the current going through the main neutral wire. When you are connected to shore power the full load of both ac units is going through the main neutral wire and thus you will see current for both units.
When the generator is running one leg is feeding the 30 amp power just like the power cord. The other leg is feeding the #2 AC unit and does not use the main neutral in the load center center and you will not see that current. All of this switching in handled by the transfer switch.
Probably more than you ever wanted to know.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

harv12, On my 1994 Vectra the #2 compressor would only run on the generator. With the second generation transfer switches and improvements in the Load Center Control you can now run both compressors when connected to shore power with a 30 amp cord. But not much more.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

grtharris, I bet I couldn't get the proper information on how the amperage is monitored from any service center. All I find lately are "parts swappers" with little knowledge and even less experience. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.
Thanks

Tags
compressor