Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Basement AC upgrade recommendation

I had previously posted about having my AC repaired, recharged at Lodgemobile Inc.. Well it performed just great in temps as high as 101 deg.
As pleased as I am with its performance I am REALLY pleased with the difference the HARD START KIT made.
As we all know when we turn the AC on we urge on the compressors to spool up. Well what a difference now. For $19.00 for the kit its a bargain.
I dont know how the later model units do, but for my vintage of basement air I can highly recommend it.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtime View Post
I had previously posted about having my AC repaired, recharged at Lodgemobile Inc.. Well it performed just great in temps as high as 101 deg.
As pleased as I am with its performance I am REALLY pleased with the difference the HARD START KIT made.
As we all know when we turn the AC on we urge on the compressors to spool up. Well what a difference now. For $19.00 for the kit its a bargain.
I dont know how the later model units do, but for my vintage of basement air I can highly recommend it.
who makes this hard start kit and where did you get it?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

who makes this hard start kit and where did you get it?

I dont really know. It was installed at the time off my repairs for a freon leak and recharge.

Mark
Lodgemobile Inc.

818-563-2072

818 563 2072

an authorized repair facility for our basement air.

Los Angeles area
Old 08-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

What exactly does the Hard Start kit do? What are the kit's results? Does it bypass the Start Cap's?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Click on my name and scroll back on my previous posts to

WHAT IS A HARD START KIT?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

My unit came with them installed from RVP. I have replaced 3 on the number 1 compressor, they usually go bad due to low voltage conditions.

Here is a link to the kit, which is identical to the ones I bought directly from RVP:

http://www.rveparts.com/products/Hard-Start-Kit.html

In fact, exact P/N. I still carry a spare.

I bought one from an RV dealer in CA in 2006. It is a common item. The parts guy told me they put them on roof units when folks have a 3kw generator installed in their smaller trailers.

Basically, it provides a phase shift to the windings in the motor, providing more startup torque. There is a device attached to take it out of the circuit once motor starts.

If you open the units panel cover over the pc board, you will see them, attached to the compressor run capacitors.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudman View Post
What exactly does the Hard Start kit do? What are the kit's results? Does it bypass the Start Cap's?

Thudman

Click on my user name and go to previous posts and scroll back to WHAT IS A HARD START KIT?
Old 08-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Dan, are they the little gidgets attached to the top of the two black Start Cap's? If so, I already have them. In your link, the photo shows the kit w/the Start Cap, and the small (adapter) to the right, which attaches to the top.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudman View Post
Dan, are they the little gidgets attached to the top of the two black Start Cap's? If so, I already have them. In your link, the photo shows the kit w/the Start Cap, and the small (adapter) to the right, which attaches to the top.

Thudman
thanks for the p/n. i got the right one already!
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

They both comprise the kit. The little gidget (called a Positive Temperature Coefficient Relay (PTCR)), is the device that takes the black start cap out of the circuit after the compressor starts. I always replace them as a set, as I'm not sure if the capacitor is damaged when the PTCR goes.