Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello: It was suggested I post our question to this experienced forum. As the heat is approaching I turned our AC on the other day and nothing happened. Its a "true air" brand. I flipped the toggle switch on the thermostat to "fan on" position and yes the fan does come on. I then switched it to "heat" and yes the heat comes on and the fan in auto comes on. I turned the switch back to "fan auto" and "cool" with the temp changed well below the ambient temp and nothing. I do think I heard a slight "click" noise when I moved the switch from cool to heat and back to cool. The local Camping World here in Fresno, CA does work have a technician for basement airs and the local (nameless) Winnebago dealer, we prefer not to deal with if at all possible. Any suggestions? Yes, we checked the breakers on the front of the generator to make sure it wasn't tripped. (Oh, this is all while on generator, we haven't been anywhere to check while plugged into shore power).
Old 06-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

First, welcome to the forum . You will not find a better place on the net to get answers to your questions and share your RV experiences.

Sorry you are having problems with the AC. You might want to check the following web site for a complete manual for your particular system and you can locate a factory-authorized service center.
http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/product.../HP_2tonHE.php

Hang on, some of the more tech-savvy folks here may surely respond with some trouble-shooting ideas.

I've also placed your post in our RV Systems and Appliances section to see if you get additional responses.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Could be faulty thermostat, but since you hear the "click" it may be working but the start capacitor or circuit board on the ac unit itself could be bad. Whatever, it sounds to me like a competent tech should be able to trouble shoot & repair it without removing it from the coach. All they have to do is to open the hinged door and access the electronics behind a removeable metal panel. Your "True Air" unit is actually a Coleman Mach basement ac/heat pump built by RVP in Wichita KS. On their website, you can locate certified service techs by putting in state/zip code, etc. I have found independent service shops tend to be better than Winnebago dealerships on this kind of service. RVP's website is at http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/service/need_repairs.php
Old 06-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

There are some long delays built into the AC system to protect the compressors. The delays can be as long as 4 or 5 minutes or even longer if the thermostat heating/cooling/fan controls are indiscriminately switched back and forth.

2 years ago I thought I had a problem. The AC would not come on. I got the manual out and went out and took AC cover off. By they time I started to cross reference the LED diagnostic lights with the manual the AC kicked on. This was at least 5 or 10 minutes.

So set to AC and auto fan and wait at least 15 minutes before taking more drastic action.

Plus, download the troubleshooting/service manual from rvpcomfort.com . The system is not as complicated as it first looks.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

DiAnna / Jeff

My AC was operating sporadically a couple of years ago ...

In particular, the thermostat became extremely "touchy" ... the slide had to be in exactly the right spot for cooling to occur ... I talked to the thermostat people by phone ... they asked me to check on the serial number on the thermostat ... after calling back with the information they wanted ... they sent me a new thermostat ...

The problem went away ...

So my suggestion is to

a) watch / listen very carefully for where the slide is when you hear the click

b) make sure that you wait a while because there are definite built in delays for cooling to occur ... and the delays seem to be longer when you move the slider between modes (particularly heat pump and air conditioning)

c) if you are still having problems call the thermostat company
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If the basement unit operates in the heat mode as you suggest, then the compressors & capacitors & compressor relays are ok. Since your on gen you should see the amp draw as both compressors kick in.

On thing to remember is that in the cooling mode, the t-stat does all the controlling of the compressors and indoor fan, including 1 or 2 stage, and all time delays. There are 2 wires for compressors, Y1 is first stage, Y2 is second stage. These go directly to the compressor contact relays.

In the heating mode, all control is done by the basement circuit board. Only 1 wire, W, goes from t-stat to PC board. After the PC board receives 12 volts, it starts both compressors & fans, after appropriate delays.

If the compressors are not starting in the cooling mode my guess is that the 12v control voltage on Y1 &/or Y2 is not occuring. This could be caused by either the t-stat circuit not working right, or the indoor coil freeze circuit open.

The low voltage control circuit would not be hard to troubleshoot, but only if your comfortable. I second Tom's suggestion, the manuals will help immensely.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

UPDATE: We're ordering a new P.C. Board along with a new Thermostat. Bottom right corner of the PC Board is fried - not sure how that happened. My maintenace guy from work as AC background and he came out and checked everything out. He actually got the compressors to come one when he did some by-passing.

Wondering if the Inverter had anything to do with the PC Board. 1 year ago we had an electrician put in a plug off our drive so that we could plug in at home. He installed 220 in stead of 110 and we blew the master fuse in the inverter. Our RV guy re-wired the plug and told us hopefully the fuse caught everything but we could have unknown problems. Well we haven't used the AC in about a year and maybe this is the unknown problem from what the electrician did. We should have also known better and check with what the electrician installed.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
maybe this is the unknown problem from what the electrician did
Yipes!! Now we hear the REST of the story!

It sounds very likely this is ONE unknown problem from running 240-250v into your 125v coach. It would be quite amazing if this is all the damage it did.

I recommend you give every electronic item in your coach a thorough test --inverter/charger, refrigerator, TVs, water heater, etc. It is quite likely other items were damaged/burned up also. Some items that have survived for the time being, may fail prematurely due to computer board damage.

I also recommend you use a SurgeGard or similar device everytime you plug in. If you don't test the power to be sure it is alright before hooking up, the SurgeGard will!
Old 06-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Dianna-Jeff

My brother-in-law hired an electrician to install a 30 amp RV plug in his pole building where he kept his motorhome ... the guy working for him did not understand the difference between a 30 amp plug and a 220 dryer plug ...

Long story short ... it fried every electronic component in his rig ... microwave, refrigrerator, tv, radio, etc.

<span class="ev_code_Red">The electricians insurance policy paid for the repairs to his rig </span> ... so I suggest you check with your electrician to see what kind of insurance he has ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Hi I'm having a similar problem with my basement heat pump/AC on my 2007 Winnebago Adventurer. You stated you ordered a new PC board. What company did you use to purchase this board? I'm having problems finding a company to order from....I found the model and part number, but haven't located a supplier of parts.

Please help.
jmponde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmponde View Post
I'm having problems finding a company to order from....I found the model and part number, but haven't located a supplier of parts.

Please help.
I believe this is a link to the company that MADE your unit.
Airxcel | RV Products

Parts like the board "should" also be available at any number of dealers

Good luck.
Ed
Old 07-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmponde View Post
Hi I'm having a similar problem with my basement heat pump/AC on my 2007 Winnebago Adventurer. You stated you ordered a new PC board. What company did you use to purchase this board? I'm having problems finding a company to order from....I found the model and part number, but haven't located a supplier of parts.

Please help.
I bought my board directly from RVP Products. You won't be able to buy it anywhere else.
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

« rough ride | Chime »